5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 2:24 AM by mttsmmnds

Rendering multiple movies from the same comp

mttsmmnds

I'm trying to render 40 clips from the same comp, each with a different work area selected. I can obviously set my work area and send it to the render queue and hit go 40 times. Ideally I'd like to set my work area then add to the queue, then reset a new work area and add that to the queue and so on before rendering them all at once. When I try that it just renders them all out with the same work area as the most recent one I added.

Do I need to sit through each render before resetting the work area or is there a way of stacking the different work areas up in a queue?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Rendering multiple movies from the same comp
          bogiesan Level 4

There might be a script you can apply but, from your information provided, it would be easier to output the entire movie once, take it to a video editor and apply trims to 40 different instances.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Rendering multiple movies from the same comp
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

After sending each item to the Render Queue, open Render Settings and set the time settings to custom.  It will inherit the current Work Area times but won't change them again when you adjust the work area.

Gridiron's Nucleo is a great assistance for jobs like this, because a) it creates a temporary copy of the project being rendered that isn't effected by subsequent changes to the project, and b) because you can send an item to the render queue, start rendering, and continue to work and add items to the Queue while rendering continues.

• 3. Re: Rendering multiple movies from the same comp
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Even when you add a comp to the Render Queue with a work area defined,  AE is still looking at that comp.  You can change the work area in the comp, and the change will be reflected in the render.  This fact has saved me many times when I've forgotten to reset the work area after my final RAM Preview.

This fact works against you in your situation.

You may have no other choice than to duplicate your comp 40 times, alter 40 comp names, trim 40 work areas and add them to the Render Queue.  And, of course, make sure that the default Render settings are set to render work area only.

If there's a script that can do it, I'd like to know about it.

• 4. Re: Rendering multiple movies from the same comp
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Andrew Yoole wrote:

After sending each item to the Render Queue, open Render Settings and set the time settings to custom.  It will inherit the current Work Area times but won't change them again when you adjust the work area.

Oh, cool!  I never knew AE would do that.  I just learned something new.  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Rendering multiple movies from the same comp
                  mttsmmnds Level 1

Thanks Andrew, just what I needed.