21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 5:02 AM by Cocovanna

I want ONE

ECBowen Most Valuable Participant
        • 1. Re: I want ONE
          Daxman1965 Level 1

tell where to buy and I will purchase tonight.

it looks good and sounds even better and with expirence of Blackmagic products the build quality should be great.

can't wait

thanks Eric

regards

Darren

• 2. Re: I want ONE

According to the email from Blackmagic, they should be in stock in a couple of weeks. Once they are any Blackmagic reseller will have them.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: I want ONE

BTW for all of you with an AF100, this should be on your most wanted list

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: I want ONE
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Eric,

How can we find out if our SDI/HDMI output is uncompressed to be able to fully take advanatage of this jewel?  For instance I have a Sony HXR-NX5U.

• 5. Re: I want ONE

Well you have to find out if the SDI/HDMi outputs are before or after the encoder chip in the signal process. That normally means calling the manufacturer. In many cases that info is on the manufacturers website under particular camera features if you know what you are looking for. In the case of the Sony you mention, this page http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HXRNX5U/ shows this under highlights "10-bit 4:2:2HD SD-SDI & HDMI outputs". That means your outputs are before the encoder chip so your good You have to be careful here though with other cameras. Some are very vague like certain DSLR cameras and will not bypass the encoder chip as you would expect. If the camera lists specific output standards supported only like 1080i but the camera records 1080P as well then it likely is not bypassing the encoder. Let me know if you have any other questions.

And you are definitely right on these being a gem. I can't believe their so cheap and they just resurrected allot of cameras people loved to use due to good analog side and such.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: I want ONE

Eric, are you taking orders?

• 7. Re: I want ONE

The Shuttle is suppose to be out in a few weeks. The Studio will be in July. We would definitely take pre-orders on the Shuttle so we know how many to order out of the first shipment.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: I want ONE

Imagine taking this material and converting it to Cineform. That would be a really nice acquisition.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: I want ONE

A major Adobe bottleneck is of course the 32-bit Quicktime and how they have to process via the internal network which slows everthing down. .

• 10. Re: I want ONE

Well AVI with Direct show should bypass the Quicktime player provided the Adobe player handles that AVI material. Otherwise if you had Cineform installed, you could select their player and see if that bypassed the Quicktime player for processing.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: I want ONE
                              Rkenosha Level 1

So, Eric, I have JVC Gu100, the small pro 3 chip camera. I know this will work. What would be the workflow in Windows CS5. What preset would we use to bring this in and edit. Thanks Roman

• 12. Re: I want ONE

I can't find the specifications for that camera. The Sequence preset would depend on how you wanted to handle the material in Adobe and how complicated your projects would be. Also your drive configuration would decide your options as well. As Bill mentioned, I would get the material out of Quicktime and into AVI or MXF for this material from the Shuttle. The first native option in Adobe would be to convert the material into AVC-Intra which is the best native codec available in Adobe at the moment by default based on Quality versus bit rate/size. Cineform would be the the best 3rd party codec to transcode to. Those 2 would be my primary codecs of choice to work with unless you had large raid arrays to handle the uncompressed when you needed to render the timeline for preview. If you don't need to render for preview then the material  would just play from ram and drive speed would  not be as important if you work off the SSD drive.

Eric

ADK

• 13. Re: I want ONE
                                  Rkenosha Level 1

Eric, Thaks for the reply. Under jvc Pro Camcorders website, you will see the camera.

GY-HM100U. It does have Hdmi out with 422 uncompressed. I use a Nanoflash with the camera

right now. The pricing for you product is much more attractive. Also, I would assume

that the Cineform codec would be something I would need to purchase. Thanks again. Roman

• 14. Re: I want ONE

Yes Cineform Neo HD would be the Cineform software.

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: I want ONE

Here is a SSD that might work (BlackMagic has yet to qualify any SSD's for use with the HyperDeck Shuttle--as per telcon today) to give you 1 hour of recording capability at 10-bits at HD-SDI rates if my math is correct.

• 16. Re: I want ONE

If it's a standard controller on the Blackmagic device, then any SSD drive should work provided the firmware is standard.

Eric

ADK

• 17. Re: I want ONE

My concern was the the SSD's all provide an "up to" transfer rates but not any minimum transfer rate specification.  How can you be sure that you do not loose data?

• 18. Re: I want ONE

Well that is a good question. The only way to verify the speed is to actually test them. We have the Mushkin Callisto series and new Intel Sata 600 drives. Both of which test over 265MB/s read and write. However the speed benefit of the Intel is based on running a Sata 600 controller. I won't know if we will get the same speed with the Blackmagic recorder until we test it. The Mushkin will equal or exceed the 265MB/s regardless of the controller so you should be fine with those.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: I want ONE
                                              klfi Level 1

Question to Eric,

thanks for your posts.

Does BM HyperShuttle record 10 bit uncomp. 4:2:2 in Sony F-3 S-log mode ?  1,5 GB  or 3 GB  ?, Sony RGB mode or only Sony YUV mode ?

Thanks for your answer.

klfi

• 20. Re: I want ONE

That should be specific to the camera and the recording modes it allows for passthrough. The Blackmagic will record in 10 bit uncompressed Quicktime files. I would assume the log info passes with the video stream provided the camera includes that on the output SDI connections.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: I want ONE
                                                  Cocovanna Level 1

Where do I get those in Europe?

Edit: Sorry, that one was easy ... found quite a few places using the Home page