18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 5:24 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?

katsoulis Level 1

Does anyone know if the new version of CS5.5 Premiere pro is compatible with the current line of Mac Pros?

At present, CS5 Premiere pro is not. After nearly six months I know they have been unable to correct a problem which causes a complete system freeze under repeatable circumstances and the problem is tied to current Mac Pros standard configuration with ATI cards.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
          TomPerrone Level 1

From what I've seen, they have only extended the MPE to officially work with other Nvidia cards - so not txt file hack needed. They have not extended support to the ATI line of cards. I'm not sure if Nvidia has Mac drivers for one the supported cards.

The promo video also talks about laptops being supported but, alas, my late 2009 17" MacBook Pro is not on the supported graphics card list - even though the built in card is supposed to support some of the Cuda functions

I'm going to wait and see what Apple releases tomorrow in terms of the new Final Cut. I find I do more and more editing on the laptop - in the field

Tom

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
            katsoulis Level 1

Tom,

I wish I better understood your reply. I don't know what MPE refers to, nor do I know what text file hack you have mentioned.

What I do see is that the system requirements for Premiere Pro 5.5's GPU is listed as follows:

- Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU–accelerated performance; visit www.adobe.com/go/premiere_systemreqs for the latest list of supported cards

Interestingly, it posts this link on the page it is sending you to, which does not inspire great confidence regarding accuracy.

Lower down on the page there is only a list of Nvidia cards. If Adobe no longer supports ATI(or AMD cards) cards for GPU acceleration, they are not supporting any of the standard configurations on any Macintosh currently offered.

Regardless, if the product is hard crashing the system with all standard current configurations under common and repeatable circumstances, there is a serious issue consumers need to be made aware of before purchase.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
              TomPerrone Level 1

MPE is the "Mercury Playback Engine" which is PPro's GPU accelerated effects and playback. Currently it ONLY works on Nvidia cards. ATI (AMD) are NOT supported (same as in CS5). Having said all that, PPro will "Work" on a Mac, but you will not have the real-time acceleration from the GPU. You will have to render.

The text file hack was to extend support to other Nvidia cards that were not officially supported when PPro CS5 first came out.

The update to Final Cut Pro should come out tomorrow - that will help me whether I "upgrade" or switch

Tom

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                katsoulis Level 1

Tom,

Thanks for your explanation. When CS5 was released, it did not contain the bug which cause ATI based Macs to crash. It was only with the introduction of 5.0.1 that the problem occurred - a fact evidenced by support's 'temporary' solution of backgrading to 5.0.0 until a fix was found. (To date, that fix has not been found.)

Given that the bug causes a catastrophic system failure, and is a potential hazard to hardware, I believe Adobe has a responsibility to be clear in their documentation if the forthcoming 5.5 exhibits the same dangerous behavior on the standard configuration of Mac hardware.

To be logical: If the present solution to this problem is to backgrade to 5.0, and the problem still exists in the forthcoming 5.5 version, it follows that Adobe is  stating Mac users with ATI hardware should not purchase or use the upgrade.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Premiere Pro CS5.5 fixes the problem with crashes on Mac computers with ATI cards.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                    katsoulis Level 1

Todd,

Thanks for the information. Will Adobe be providing this fix to affected users?

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As stated, MPE = Mercury Playback Engine. See the links in this ARTICLE for more background.

As for your initial question, I cannot comment, as I am a PC-only guy. Others will be able to answer for you. [Edit - I see that Todd already has, just down-thread from where I replied - quick work.]

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Will Adobe be providing this fix to affected users?

I guarantee you won't like the answer to that question...

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                          katsoulis Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

Will Adobe be providing this fix to affected users?

I guarantee you won't like the answer to that question...

I don't see why I wouldn't like the answer. Either they will provide the fix via a free update to Premiere Pro 5.5, or they will provide a final patch for 5.0.x since they have located and solved the issue. If you are suggesting Adobe might leave 5.0 users with a dangerously broken product or force them to pay for the fix, I don't believe Adobe would allow that.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>providing this fix to affected users?

CS5.5 is a paid, not free, upgrade

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't believe Adobe would allow that.

Then you don't know Adobe's history.  I don't think they have ever released a patch to any version once a newer one was announced.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

In the words of Calvin's dad, "You are going to be one sad little kid on Christmas morning..."

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Then you don't know Adobe's history.  I don't think they have ever released a patch to any version once a newer one was announced.

That is false. The After Effects CS5 (10.0.2) update was released just this weekend, as we announced CS5.5. The After Effects CS4 (9.0.3) update was released just a few months ago, long after After Effects CS5 was released. Photoshop has just announced a bug-fix update to CS5. Et cetera.

As most of you know, I provide definitive answers---either positive or negative---when they're known and available. I have not said yes or no on this matter, and I won't for right now. That means that no one outside of Adobe should be stating a definitive answer, either.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Sorry, I was thinking of patches specifically to Premiere Pro.  I don't recall there ever being any once a new version came out.  Typically users are forced to pay for bug fixes that never got fixed.

It would not be a bad thing if Adobe broke with tradition on this one.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                                      katsoulis Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

As most of you know, I provide definitive answers---either positive or negative---when they're known and available. I have not said yes or no on this matter, and I won't for right now. That means that no one outside of Adobe should be stating a definitive answer, either.

I agree that no one outside Adobe should be stating a definitive answer, nor is there any need for pessimistic assumptions on the part of this forum's commentators. However, Adobe needs to provide a definitive answer soon as the problem has existed for the majority of the product's current life-cycle and is a critical flaw in an otherwise outstanding piece of software.

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

nor is there any need for pessimistic assumptions on the part of this forum's commentators.

You may look upon such as both a jaded viewpoint based on past experience, and a complaint that it be rectified, that ALL bugs be fixed for ALL versions of Premiere Pro, wherever they are in the release cycle.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                                          katsoulis Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

Typically users are forced to pay for bug fixes that never got fixed.

This may be true for some types of bugs, but there is a substantive difference in the case of the current problem. The bug present in Premiere Pro CS5 seizes the entire system and presents a danger to the hardware. If a write were taking place to a disk during one of these crashes irreparable harm may be caused to that disk and to its data.

If Adobe has a fix for that problem and chooses not release it to affected users, or charges for that fix when charging will shut out those affected users, they become, in my opinion, fully responsible for any subsiquent harm. I do not believe Adobe would allow this to happen.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 incompatible with current Mac Pros?
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this thread for an update about an impending fix for this issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3630156#3630156