2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 12:30 PM by Dave LaRonde

Making it seem as if a rectangle is being drawn?

southwestform Level 1

I'm completely new to AE and I'm going to shoot some video of my hands against a green screen holding a pen, and I want to bring this footage into AE and make it appear as if I am drawing a rectangle, and then I want an image to appear in the rectangle afterwards.

1. Any general tips for making the video work better in AE?

2. Which tools would be best to do the drawing effect?

3. I want to do it with both chalk and a marker. How can I create something that looks like chalk and a marker when making the rectangle?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Making it seem as if a rectangle is being drawn?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

1. Any general tips for making the video work better in AE?

You will need tracking markers for stabilization.

2. Which tools would be best to do the drawing effect?

None?! I know you are a beginner, but don't think in such terms. If there a 5 solutions to a problem, in a specific situation each of them could be the "best". In your case you could

- use a shape layer

- a mask with a stroke effect

- the Write-On effect

- create all four sides separately e.g. with the Beam effect

- draw the outlines with a stream of particles

...etc.. and that's just tools that already come with AE!

See my point? which one will work best wil ldepend on how you ultimately shoot it and what manual work you are ready to do in addition to the tracking/ stabilization as well as what look you have in mind...

3. I want to do it with both chalk and a marker. How can I create something that looks like chalk and a marker when making the rectangle?

VideoCopilot --> Blueprint tutorial

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Making it seem as if a rectangle is being drawn?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

southwestform wrote:

I'm completely new to AE and I'm going to shoot some video of my hands against a green screen holding a pen, and I want to bring this footage into AE and make it appear as if I am drawing a rectangle, and then I want an image to appear in the rectangle afterwards.

That sentence above is like saying, "I'm going to jump into the deep end of the pool wearing these lead weights."

When you start using AE, you begin at the beginning:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html