7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 2:33 PM by unique_screenname_here

Is the maximum size 2048x2048 px ?

orgicus Level 1

Hello,

I noticed that although I could use paramaters to create output images larger than 2048x2048, when the file gets written to disk, it's limited to 2048x2048.

Any way to change this or get round this issue ?

Thanks,

George

• 1. Re: Is the maximum size 2048x2048 px ?
          unique_screenname_here Level 3

The Pixel Bender language is not limited to producing images with maximum size of 2048x2048. It sounds like you're running into a Pixel Bender Toolkit limitation or the maximum texture size of your graphics card. I was just able to save a 3072x3072 image (png and jpeg) from the Pixel Bender Toolkit. You might give the Pixel Bender plugin for Photoshop a try to see what happens there.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is the maximum size 2048x2048 px ?
            orgicus Level 1

Thank you for the response.

That would make sense, I have an older macbook with the crappy Intel GMA integrated video card

I've tried the PixelBender plugin, and it renders to a maximum of 2048x2048, even though the document

size uses 300dpi.

I would like to render an image from a Pixel Bender kernel and save it for printing (hi-res)

Any suggestion for that would be helpful.

At the moment I'm considering this:

- have a preview in Flash Player

- render tiles of 2048x2048 with the correct offset

- write tiles to disk

Any thoughts on this ?

• 3. Re: Is the maximum size 2048x2048 px ?

I take it the high-resolution image is greater than 2048x2048 in size?

• 5. Re: Is the maximum size 2048x2048 px ?

Okay. I'd normally just suggest that you upgrade your graphics card but that won't help you given that you're using a MacBook. I believe what you're suggesting should work so long as your Pixel Bender filter is pointwise. You're going to have a much tougher time achieving this with a non-pointwise filter. Remember, Flash does not support Pixel Bender's region reasoning functions.

You could also try segmenting the image into tiles within Photoshop, manually processing each tile with Pixel Bender, and then restitching the image back together in Photoshop. You may only need two to four tiles depending on your image size. Again, this will probably only work with pointwise filters in CS5.

We hope to lessen the need to do this kind of work on your side in the future.

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Is the maximum size 2048x2048 px ?
                  orgicus Level 1

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

I will try the Photoshop/Pixel Bender+restitching aproach.

I was mentioning actionscript because I could put something together

that would allow a quick preview and would 'automatically stich' the tiles

based on the size needed.

I will looking a bit into Photoshop's scripting API to see if I can automate

the stiching process somehow.

• 7. Re: Is the maximum size 2048x2048 px ?

I say give the Flash path a try if you think you can whip something up quickly. Just remember that Pixel Bender 2D is not GPU accelerated in Flash. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.