10 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 9:33 AM by Rancher53

CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?

Hdw junkie Level 1

Is it really $400 to upgrade a product I bought 5 months ago? $400 for a product that was initially released 1 year ago? CS5 to CS5.5 is $400? Really? Seriously, that can't be right. And people bash MS for their pricing.

• 1. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?
          ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hey there, presuming you're talking about Design Premium suite (8 applications)...

Typically it costs $199 to upgrade from one version to the next for individual Adobe products (e.g., Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, etc).

With CS5.5 many products were upgraded, so that twice that amount to move the entire suite up isn't really out of line with typical pricing.

But of course, if you don't think the price is worth it to you in saved time or new features, your CS5 from last year will continue to work!

• 2. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?
            BrightShade Level 1

Or, this scenario: on March 27, I pay Adobe to upgrade Acrobat Pro 9 from CS5 to Acrobat Pro X -- and within 2 weeks, Adobe announces CS5.5 and wants me to pay $400 for a license that will duplicate the license I just purchased!

The message from Adobe is clear: they are pricing for the corporate buyer and they expect at least $400 per year in revenue from their customers.

• 3. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?

Hi BrightShade, as with prior releases Adobe is offering a free-upgrade grace period for new and recent purchases - so you might want to get in touch with them to see what they might be able to do.

• 4. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?
                jintsIn07

Well, they arent really.  They are only offering upgrades to people who purchase 5.0 AFTER the 5.5 announce.  That means those of us that purchased in March or early April are out of luck.  Terrible business practice and one that I will be making known to both the business organization I work for and the educational institution I attend.  I will succeed in getting at lease one person or group to pass on an Adobe purchase of CS Suite so I will sleep well knowing that Adobe made a net losing decision.  Furthermore, I will become an evangelist of competing products.

I know, who cares, one screwed consumer, wah wah for me.

But you know what?  One at a time, that's all it takes.

• 5. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?

jintsIn07 wrote:

They are only offering upgrades to people who purchase 5.0 AFTER the 5.5 announce.  That means those of us that purchased in March or early April are out of luck. 

Actually that's not true.  Adobe is definitely offering free upgrades to buyers who purchased CS5 recently (like up to a month) before the announcement of CS5.5.

Suggest reading the article linked in the previous reply, and contacting Adobe if you could be in this category with your proof of purchase.

If you already did contact Adobe, then try so again because you didn't get correct information.

Thanks and hope this helps.

• 6. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?
                    Rancher53 Level 1

Look I barely got use to the 18 month upgrade cycle , now a 6 month upgrade cycle , no I am not happy about it and .5 upgrade tp boot, No thanks

• 7. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?
                      jintsIn07 Level 1

Did so twice, had a case open for over a month, spoke with at least three

different Adobe reps.  Same answer in all cases..."Sorry, you do not qualify,

April 11 (or 15 I don't remember) is the cutoff".

• 8. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?
                        Rancher53 Level 1

It seems maybe Adobe has gotten to big, A higher power  Only knows how much it cost to keep their employees employed, thus these upgrades, in half cycles, Yes you can subscribe to their software now, So lets see your utilities,electric and or gas, phone, satellite service, cell phone, car payments, rent or house payments, trash pick up, insurance, Now your software for pleasure or business or both every month, do tell why we the world is in a meltdown, Go ahead and add it up, Point being a specific upgrade cycle with a decisive upgrade, a person could and did get on board with," we new what to expect" as far as Adobe giving anyone a break, not a chance, when cell phone providers which is another monster can give allowances easier than Adobe's faithful clients the world is in a downward spiral. Means two things Adobe is loosing big ticket Item clients and needs to make up ground or ?

• 9. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?

@ Rancher53 -

Adobe's upgrade cycle used to be 18-24 months.

Now because of fast-moving changes in hardware (devices) and software (o/s & web), it's every 2 years for milestone releases (e.g., Creative Suite 6), with mid-cycle releases in between - if you need or want them.

If you don't, your current software will continue working the same as when you bought it.

-----

@ jintsIn07 -

That information does not sound right - here's why...  We know customers who have purchased before the announcement and received a free upgrade to CS5.5.

Please read through all the comments and instructions on this CS Facebook page, and hopefully that will help!

• 10. Re: CS5 -> CS5.5 upgrade price?
                            Rancher53 Level 1

Thank you for the answer about upgrade cycles , Yes your correct technology is moving very fast, and yes this upgrade is not necessary in its self. Sorry if I am a little put out as a small business person I like to stay ontop of my main software which is the Master suites as it seems I can't afford to as it does still work very well and yes the updates they have given through the year have  worked in stabilizing and enhancing   the software, Thanks Pro Design for the very to the point answer, it could of came sooner but Thanks.