2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 11:23 AM by Tanu Jain

Run SWF on an USB device

ludustuli

hi,

I have created an aplication for my company. It's a digital book made in Flex. The idea is to put this application in an USB device that will give to our clients so that can execute it directly on the USB device.

The problem is taht this application has a lot of assets that we can embed, for example each page of the digital book is a SWF file loaded on run time.

How can I make the application executable on an USB device without having any security problem, and have it work on any computer?

Right now I was able to make it work on mine after solving security sandbox issues but I tried on 2 laptops and it doesn't work...

We would like to execute directly the SWF file (no the HTML file) and we don't want to host the application on the web.

If you have a solution or if you want more details don't hesitate to contact me please.

Thank you,

Justine

• 1. Re: Run SWF on an USB device
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

You might want to look into Adobe Air.  I have never tried to run an Air app of a USB key, but it might work.

• 2. Re: Run SWF on an USB device
            Tanu Jain Level 2

Generally, directly running flash files from desktop or non-server location,which tries to access resources at run time throws security sandbox errors. These arise because the resource files and flash files are not considered to be in the same domain.

An entry is there in a file with extension ".cfg" for trusted locations for files to run.

Generally, in windows xp, such files can be located at "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#Security\FlashPlayerTrust\"

You may try making an auto-run.ini file for your USB which makes an entry of the USB drive in the cfg file. Executing the flash file directly wont throw any error thereafter.

--

Tanu