10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 6:20 AM by donavin410

PE8 will no longer start - not responding

Russel Barnes99

I've been using PE8 for a year.  For the last two days it wont start

I get to the usual screen when I click the start icon, but the first time I click the mouse (for instance to select Project) the rotating icon starts and there is no other effect.  If I click again I see the message "Elements 8 is not responding."

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit on a Samsung laptop  NVIDIA GT330M  Intel Core i5 520  4Gb

On some occassions I see  a window "Activating Components" with a progress bar stuck at 40%. But only occassionally

I've tried reinstalling PE8, and restoring a restore point to afew days ag. I've uninstalled two programs which I recently installed (since PE8 worked) - Calibre and Bittorrent. No change

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com and the latest drivers for your graphics card from the ATI or nVidia site?

Also, have you tried reactivating the license?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This is a CHECKLIST of possible issues. I'd work though all of the points, and also take a look at the various links in it.

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. The task is to figure out WHAT has changed, and address that issue.

It could be as simple as the HDD becoming overly full, as per Steve's question, and with a laptop, this is likely.

It could be that something as simple as an OS update/hot-fix has effectively killed the video (or audio) driver. PrE interfaces more closely with those drivers, than almost any other program on one's system.

It could be malware, or a virus/Trojan, and it's killing PrE. With Bit-Torrent, one is very open to such nefarious programs.

It could be the addition of a program, like an audio-editing program, if it installs VST's. PrE can work with many, can work fine, if some others exist, but some will kill the program. See this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and if none of the above helps, please post the full details of your laptop.See this ARTICLE for some tips.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
              Russel Barnes99 Level 1

Thanks for these suggestions Bill.  I've worked through them all, as well as those from Steve Grisetti.  Very time consuming!

I still have the same problem - any suggestions on what to try next? 

Is there a way to find out what the program is waiting for when the hourglass is showing?

cheers

Russel

Russel Barnes

russel@lexic.com.au

• 4. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I think it's time to call Adobe Tech Support. You apparently need more troubleshooting than we can give you here on the forum. Sorry.

• 5. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
                  Russel Barnes99 Level 1

I have found the cause but not the solution to this problem.

I installed PE8 on another PC and the same problem happened only after I copied three mpegs to this PC and tried to add them with Get Media.

The new PC (Windows 7 64bit with Intel i7 2600) hung when I tried to add this media but would load other projects OK, after I restarted PE8.

PE8 would not start on the first PC - this was the original problem. The fix was to  rename the  three mpegs so PE8 can no longer try to get them.  Bingo - PE8 loads normally and other projects are fine

The lesson is that getting some video files will cause PE8 to give a not-responding message when they are the target of Get Media.  Restarting PE8 did not help on a Windpows 7 32bit on Intel i5, but does work on WIn7 64 bit on Intel i7.

The remaining puzzle is what is wrong with the videos I tried to bring into PE8?  Each of them plays fine using VLC.  The sizes are 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 Gb

Each is an MPEG, 720 x 576, 25 fps, 9600 kbps data rate

The project settings are DVPAL 25fps 720 x 576

Any suggestions on how to investigate why these mpegs are causing this problem?

cheers

• 6. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
                    nealeh Level 5

Probably a codec problem. In VLC press [Ctrl]+[J] to see what codec information is available. Better yet download GSpot Codec Information Appliance, analyse the video with it and post a screenshot here.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
                      N@omi

I had this problem just the other day. In my case it was because I had moved around folders containing the project, the .prel file wasn't anymore

where it was supposed to be found when opening Premiere and select the project so the software stopped responding. Go to where you have the project saved and find where the .prel file is or use search. Also...always backup your stuff after a long editing. Hope it helps

• 8. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
                        Russel Barnes99 Level 1

Here is a screenshot of Gspot analysis.  Can you see what is causing the problem?

• 9. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Russell,

I do not think that the screen-cap made it. Use the little "camera" icon in the bottom-middle of the editing screen's Toolbar to attach the JPEG, or PNG. Also, I have had image file names with spaces give me issues when attaching to the forums. I use the old underscore ( _ ) naming convetion, with not problems, i.e. WAB_Screencap.PNG.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE8 will no longer start - not responding
                            donavin410

A client of mine had this same issue, once you click on “edit” after you launched the program, it would crash and give you an option to send a crash report. After messing with it a few days, we decided, hey lets just uninstall it and do a clean install, I mean why not it works with every other program.. Now when I install both Photoshop and premiere it installs the files to the default folder, or what ever destination I put the files in. It puts a shortcut on the desktop. However if you right click on that short cut, capability tab is not there, and the targets says c:/users/username/desktop and not c:/programsfiles/adobe/whatever/whaterver/photoshop.exe

I have tried to install it endless times, I have even gone through the trouble of clearing out all adobe elements entries from the registry and doing another install this program will NOT install. And tech support wants money to even talk to me about this..WTF.