11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 11:43 PM by JsnKrst9

(Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build

JsnKrst9

Hey everyone.  I am looking into building a HP Z800 workstation (buy the case/motherboard/power supply) and then the rest of the stuff separately.  I am currently a web developer who is looking into AVCHD 1080p video editing and possibly 3d modeling (Mercury support is fairly critical).  I have a budget of roughly $2,500 to build this rig.

I am looking also to have the ability to expand in the future, thus why a dual processor motherboard.  I'd like to start with a strong base and eventually expand it.   Please feel free to critique and let me know what you think

Case:

HP Z800 Case with 1150Watt Power Supply

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Z800-Base-Unit-FF825AV-DVDRW-HP-Heat-Sink-KB-Mouse-/350451043141?pt =Desktop_PCs&hash=item5198828b45

CPU:

Intel Xeon E5645

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117256

RAM:

12 GB ECC 1333 Value Ram (3x 4GB Sticks)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139270

Hard Drive:

Kingston SSDNow V100 128GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139413

Hard Drive:

Caviar Black 1TB, Sata 6Gbps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Graphics:

eVGA 570GTX HD Superclocked

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130620

Blu-Ray:

LG 12x BluRay Burner

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136226

O/S:

Windows 7 x64 Pro

Free

(I may find parts cheaper elsewhere: Amazon, etc)

• 1. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to the forum.  Since you are relatively new here please take a look at the PPBM5 Benchmarking site for the results that Harm and I have as a resource for you.

Personally I would skip the SSD and get more RAM.

• 2. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
            RjL190365 Level 4

In addition to what Bill stated, keep in mind that a system with a single Xeon E56## series CPU performs no better than a less-expensive system with a quad-core i7-9## series CPU. The Z800's motherboard can accommodate two CPUs.

And you will want to add at least one additional hard drive (preferably two or more) to that system if you heed Bill's advice to ditch the SSD: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 does not perform well on any system with only one hard drive (used for absolutely everything, including the OS) with no other drive whatsoever to put the media and project files onto.

• 3. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
              JsnKrst9 Level 1

I have a 1TB Caviar Black as a data storage drive for all the projects, files, etc.  I figured that should be good retention, which I could eventually RAID together and solidify. 

As for the main storage, what would be best a SAS or a Raptor.  I would like to have something on the stronger end for a OS/App drive.  Of course, it would be best to RAID two of them together.

As for why I picked a Z800, I am a computer guy (hardware/software) and take joy into adding parts and extras into the configuration.  I would like to have a computer that I can have expandibility on and just be able to toy with.  It's been a long time since I've had a rig where I can just expand upon.  Eventually, I would like to add another CPU and expand on the RAM

• 4. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                JEShort01 Level 4

I too prefer to have a computer that can be expanded, but if you want to run Premiere Pro CS5 now and into the future I think that you are headed in the wrong direction with a Xeon solution at this time.

Instead, why not consider an investment today for something expandable in the future in ways that would truly improve the system's ability to run PPro CS5 (based on Intel's road map, etc.). To wisely invest now and expand over the coming 24 months I would contend you should build a strong drive array now and swap out the whole motherboard, cpu, RAM combo in the future. If this sounds crazy, check out the PPBM5 benchmark scores for $230 X58 cpus with massive drive arrays vs. Xeon systems that do not have a strong drive array. Besides, Intel will have some huge performance gains late this year with their planned 8-core (single CPU and Xeon's planned) chips.

For example:

- Great case (large, good airflow, lots of room for drives and good cooling for those drives

- Strong power supply

- nVidia GTX 570 or 580 video

- 16GB (if go 1155 Sandy Bridge now) or 24GB (if go 1366 X58 now) RAM

- decent CPU choice depending on price point -- and realizing when your "grow" your system this will be moved to another PC, sold, or thrown away

- good RAID controller (Areca, Intel, etc.) at the $500 to $1500 price point

- lots of big drives, suggest at least 8 1TB drives for the RAID

- boot drive (anywhere from single 320GB 7200 hard drive to 256GB latest gen. SSD)

Then, when you upgrade your system in the future you could:

- add drives or replace with larger ones

- changout MB/CPU/RAM with something newer and faster; stuff announced for year end 2011 will STOMP all over dual Xeon X3690's, and cost WAY less

Could this work for you?

Jim

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                  JsnKrst9 Level 1

I have put together another rig based on the advice all of you have given me.  I thank you all for your tips in helping build this new rig.

The link to NewEgg is here: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20157667

ProdPriceNotes
                  EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 HD359
                  OCZ Vertex 3-120GB SSD SATA 6Gbps299
                  Western Digital Black 1TB SATA 3Gbps176Get 2-RAID Expansion
                  Core i7 970595
                  G.SKILL RipJaws 24GB Triple Channel Kit 10666CL9 24285
                  NZXT Phantom Black139
                  Corsair Pro AX1200279
                  Budget2500
                  Total2505.91
                  Notes: Eventually get a RAID card
                  • 6. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Your new list gets my vote!

Regarding i7-970, wish I had one myself (i7-950 owner)

Regarding the WD 1TB Black, I'd suggest the WD 1TB Black model with 64MB cache and 6GB/s model which is only $2 more if you are really fond of WD. I like WD just fine and have a dozen of their 1TB drives, but if I was doing a new build I'd probably go with the Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB drives -- they are only $30 more than the WD 1TB Blacks and even faster, plus a full 2 times the capacity.

Regarding the RAM, suggest going with the same Ripjaw series (GBRL), but in the 1600MHz speed, especially if you will be overclocking at all (highly suggested for CS5)

Jim

• 7. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Save your money and do not go for the SSD a Samsung F4 320 GB 7200 rpm drive ($43) will give you the same Premiere performance.  Also the Superclocked graphics board will not give you any additional performance gain over a non-overclocked version. Instead do ramp up the RAM speed.

• 8. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                        JsnKrst9 Level 1

Here is an update of what I have picked out for the rig:

Link: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber =20157667

DescPriceNotes
                        Intel i7-970595
                        Asus Rampage 3 Formula Motherboard299
                        GSkill Ripjaws 24GB (6x4GB) DDR3 1600319
                        EVGA 570GTX HD360
                        OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD Sata 3 - O/S299
                        Caviarr Black 1TB Sata 390Will RAID
                        Lite On iHB212136
                        NZXT Phantom Black140
                        ZALMAN ZM1000240
                        Total24922500 Budget
                        Notes: Will eventually get RAID Card
                        • 9. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                          JsnKrst9 Level 1

I have the fastest RAM available in a 24GB configuration across 3 channels.  The only other option would be to go with 12GB of faster RAM vs 24GB of the highest available speed at factory.  Would speed be better than availability?

I picked the OC version as they are priced the same right now, so why not take advantage of a factory OC for free?

• 10. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Stick with the 24GB for sure, and I'm glad to see that you've increased to the 1600 speed RAM.

• 11. Re: (Looking For Advice) Potential HP Z800 Build
                              JsnKrst9 Level 1

I kinda threw around some ideas in my head and have the following thoughts:

Config i7 970Config i7 2600k

NZXT Phantom Case

Zalman 1000 Watt Power Supply

EVGA 570HD SC

Lite On Blu Ray Burner

OCZ Vertex 3 Sata 3 120GB

Caviar Black Sata 3 1 TB

Asus Rampage 3Asus P867 WS Revolution
                              i7 970i7 2600k
                              GSkill Ripjaws 24GB at PC3 12800Ripjaws X 16GB at PC3 17000

What would the consus be?  Sandy Bridge which is newer with the faster RAM or the proven i7 970 from late last year?