1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 8:23 AM by John T Smith

need help understanding required tech specs

AliasJaneDoe13

I'd like some clarification on the following please.

• Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6700.  Will this work?

• 7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed

Does Premiere need to be installed on the RAID 0 drives, or do you only need to save your project files there?

• OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card
      • Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU–accelerated  performance

Aren't these the same thing?  Or is it really saying I need two different cards?  I currently have a GeForce 8800 GT 512MB.  I assume I need a new one?

• Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model

Do I really need a seperate sound card, or could a good graphics card handle this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: need help understanding required tech specs
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start by going back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Look UP and click the drop down window for the FAQ list and do some reading

The key is WHAT are you going to edit?

If only DV AVI type 2 then your processor will do OK (not great, but OK)

If AVCHD you will grow old waiting for things to happen with that CPU

You install Windows and PPro on your boot drive, data goes to other drive(s)

After you read the FAQ articles, come back with specific questions

Just as an example...

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed
          For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)
          My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
          1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write