7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 7:37 AM by djensen@ncdoj.gov

AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues

djensen@ncdoj.gov

Hi everyone,

I've searched all over the forums and the rest of the Internet and still can't find a definitive answer, so I need some help, please!

Here's the system specs:

Camera:

Sony NXCAM (AVCHD Format)

The camera appears to use the mp4/h264 codec, according to the manual.

Shooting:

video: 1080 / 30p (at the highest bitrate setting)

audio: 16-bit LPCM

Workstation:

Windows 7 

Intel Xeon Quad-Core 2.67

6 Gb Memory

NVidia Quadro 2000

These are the steps that I have been using:

1. Copy the original footage onto a folder on the computer (I have been copying the entire AVCHD folder so the meta-data etc is all there).

2. Create a new project and sequence in Premiere Pro. I have tried many different formats, but the one that I am using is under the "AVCHD Presets" --> AVCHD 1080p30 29.97 fps at 1920 x 1080. This is the exact same setting we are recording on the camera... the camera's settings are progressive and not interlaced, and they are also not anamorphic. I understand that there are discrepancies to what is "better" or what is truly being recorded (30p vs. 60i).. I did see that in the owners manual it states the system "Video Signal" is HDTV 1080/60i, 720/60p. Either way, the settings on the camera are set to 1080 30p.

3. I can successfully import the media into the media bin in a Premiere Pro project.

This is where there are a few issues:

4. When I preview the clips, they are very jumpy, have some pixelation and artifacts, and appear to have a wobbly movement to them. Note - once they are rendered, this goes away.

5. Upon bringing this clips onto the timeline - it always shows a red line above the clip, indicating it needs to be rendered. Usually, the amount of time it takes to render is equal to real-time... I was working on a project today with 2h 30m of clips and it took over 2 hours to render. I called Adobe support, and the person on the phone ASSURED me that EVERY clip needs to be rendered.. my reply was "even if the sequence settings are the EXACT same as the clip?", and he assured me that every clip needs to be rendered always.. which I don't believe. If the settings on the sequence are right, there's no reason that the clip should have to render.

I understand that .MTS files must be stored and compressed heavily to be put on a memory card - so is this always a necessary step? Do the files need to be "unpacked" somehow? If so, why not just use tapes like before? The entire reason that our video unit switched to tapeless formats was because of the ease in workflow. If it takes almost realtime to render everything, what is the big benefit of using a tapeless format?  I understand that there are some upgrades in version 5.5, but I am not sure that we can upgrade at this point, do to budget concerns.

Any help would be much appreciated - Like I said, we called support and didn't feel like we recieved any. Again, all we'd like to do is be able to import our footage and begin editing without having to render raw footage.. many of the clips we have to work with are just raw, uncut video files that need to be burned to dvd in a timely manner for training purposes. Thanks again for your support.

David Jensen

Video Producer

N.C. Dept. of Justice

• 1. Re: AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Typically, 1080p30 are seen by Pr incorrectly as 1080i60.  Select all of the 1080p30 clips in the Project panel and go to File | Modify | Interpret Footage.  Change the interpretation to No Fields (Progressive Scan) and all should be well, including the disappearance of the red render bar in the sequence(s).

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>new project and sequence in Premiere Pro

Did you drag your file to the NEW ITEM icon so PPro could analyze?

See the 2nd post for NEW ITEM pointer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770072?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues
              djensen@ncdoj.gov Level 1

Thanks for the help, guys..

I tried both techniques, and there is still a yellow bar present above the clips.

I understand that the yellow bar indicates that it may not be necessary to render, however the clips still appear very jittery on the timeline just as they do in the preview monitor. Is this a 60i vs. 30p de-interlacing issue that I'm looking at?

Not to jump the gun here, but is this a situation where we should be sending files to AME if we have several hours of footage that was taken for documentation purposes vs. importing the smaller projects directly into Pr where the clips will be much smaller edits?

I guess the follow up question is, should we be using an interlaced timeline at 60i? This isn't my first choice - I'd rather be at 30p for the timeline settings.

Again, much appreciated!

Dave

• 4. Re: AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Dave,

First, be sure you don't drag the footage to the New Item button UNTIL it's properly interpreted, using the method Jeff mentioned. If you don't interpret the footage correctly first, the sequence will be created using the wrong settings, causing more problems down the line. You can change the intepretation of multiple clips at once by selecting them all and then using the Interpret Footage command; from there, you can use any one of those clips to create a sequence, or just use the proper sequence setting (you already have the correct one) to begin with.

Second, don't worry about the yellow line; that's always going to appear with material like AVCHD. It means that it'll playback in realtime in the sequence, but that there is no way to export bit-for-bit the AVCHD footage. That's not a big concern--you're going to be going to other delivery formats, so rendering is just a fact of life.

Third, wherever possible, use the sequence preset that matches your footage, or at least the majority of it. If all you have is 30p, edit in 30p and on export, you can adjust for various delivery methods.

Finally, the jitter/stutter you're seeing is likely a simple preview preference; right-click the Source or Program Monitor, or click the Output button in either, and set Playback Resolution to Full. By default, AVCHD sequences are set at 1/2 resolution on playback (it's less demanding of the computer), and due to the nature of AVCHD, you'll see what appears to be break-up and other nastiness during playback. Note that this will require more of the computer to playback at full resolution, but depending on your edit and your computer, this shouldn't be a major problem.

• 5. Re: AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues

Awesome.. Thank you all for the help. It looks like that combination resolved the issue..

Thanks, Colin, for pointing out the delivery format issue.. obviously this won't be exported in an MTS format - that totally explains the yellow bar. Also thanks for pointing out the playback resolution setting.. that fixed it.

We really apreciate all the help.. this is going to save a lot of time and headaches, and allow us to get our work done much more efficiently.

So may I ask one more question?

If we're working with mostly MTS files at 1920 x 1080, if we have to combine taped HDV footage that is anamorphic, should we upconvert the 1440 x 1080 to 1920, or downconvert the 1920 to 1440?

Thanks again guys - you've been a great help!

Dave

• 6. Re: AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Don't do anything special; just use the HDV in the 1920x1080 sequence as it is. The HDV at 1440x1080 is anamorphic, meaning that the pixels are not square but are instead rectangular. Premiere knows this, and properly interprets those pixels at a ratio of 1.333 so that the final raster is 1920x1080. I realize it's a little bizarre to think about, but just try it: drop an HDV clip in your AVCHD sequence, and you'll see that you're in business.

Cool, eh?

• 7. Re: AVDHD - Sony NXCAM - Render Issues

Awesome!

Great stuff...

We're just getting up to speed with digital video, and there's much to learn. Thanks again for all your support!

Have a great day.

Dave