2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 2:39 PM by atar11

Animation smoothness.

atar11

I'm new to flash and want to swallow a lot of information as I can about this wonderful software.  Especially I want to know what are the main things that affect on the smoothness of the animation.

I am already know that the frame rate is very affect on the smoothness but I also noticed that even in high frame rate (24/30 fps) still my animation don׳t go smoothly and on the other hand, I saw an animation of someone that went very smoothly in just 12 fps. So my question is which additional parameters do also affect on the smoothness except of the frame rate.
      And in one word: what is the secret for a smooth animation?
        • 1. Re: Animation smoothness.
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

The less work that you make the processor do, the smoother your animation will be. A small black solid rectangle can be animated very smoothly in Flash. If you add a shape tween, you've added interest but you've also added complexity. Add a size and/or color change as well as the shape and location change and you have more complexity and more potential for uneven change. Higher frame rate does not always mean smoother animation. Raising the frame rate means that he computer has to do more work in less time.

Flash does its animation in real time, Flash animation is stored as a set of instructions, not as a string of rendered frames of animation. So, animating two things is more work than animating one thing. Animating one small thing is usually simpler than animating one large thing, fewer pixels to push around. Animating a vector is much simpler than animating a photo or raster artwork.

As you know, all computers are not created equal. Animation that works very smoothly and reliably on your production computer may play very poorly another person's laptop, particularly if the other computer doesn't have a dedicated graphics processor. You will need to do a lot of testing on a wide range of computers to be sure that your work looks good everywhere.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Animation smoothness.
            atar11 Level 1

Thanks you very much about your detailed response!!

ב-13 באפר 2011, בשעה 01:56, Rob Dillon <forums@adobe.com> כתב/ה:

The less work that you make the processor do, the smoother your animation will be. A small black solid rectangle can be animated very smoothly in Flash. If you add a shape tween, you've added interest but you've also added complexity. Add a size and/or color change as well as the shape and location change and you have more complexity and more potential for uneven change. Higher frame rate does not always mean smoother animation. Raising the frame rate means that he computer has to do more work in less time.

Flash does its animation in real time, Flash animation is stored as a set of instructions, not as a string of rendered frames of animation. So, animating two things is more work than animating one thing. Animating one small thing is usually simpler than animating one large thing, fewer pixels to push around. Animating a vector is much simpler than animating a photo or raster artwork.

As you know, all computers are not created equal. Animation that works very smoothly and reliably on your production computer may play very poorly another person's laptop, particularly if the other computer doesn't have a dedicated graphics processor. You will need to do a lot of testing on a wide range of computers to be sure that your work looks good everywhere.

>