6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 10:31 AM by Anthony Freeman 99

Is 1000w PSU ok for this build?

Anthony Freeman 99

Hi All,

Please can you advise me whether 1000w coolermaster power supply unit will be sufficient for my build?  In South Africa electricity is costly and such our new machine will work intensively so we would like to draw the least power possible.

Also if anyone has any suggestions/  remarks or improvements before I purchase all the components, it will be most welcome?

Item

Products

CASE

Coolermaster HAF-X

PSU

Coolermaster 1000w

CPU cool

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

Motherboard

Asus Intel X58 Rampage III EX

CPU

Cpu 990x core i7 3.33 ghz 12mb cache

RAM

24 GB of KHX1600C9D3K6/24GX   1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 6) XMP

Graphics Card

Palit GTX-580

HDD

1 x HDD210 Western Digital 600GB Velociratpor for OS

6 x 1 T Seagate 32Mb cache hard drives (RAID 5 using intel big laurel)

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Blue Ray Drive

Blu-Ray-RW

Adobe CS5 Production premium

RAID CARD

Intel RS2 BL080 

(big Laurel 8 channel)

Many Thanks

Kind regards

Anthony Freeman

www.freemanproductions.co.za

• 1. Re: Is 1000w PSU ok for this build?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Anthony,

Your build list looks very nice!

That power supply should be sufficient; if anything, you could probably get by with a smaller one.

Regarding the power actually used by your PC, your systems demand will depend on how hard the CPU is working, etc., NOT the watt rating of the power supply.

Your system will be running probably be running under load somewhere between 300 and 550 watts (rough estimate), so the power supply will be running at less than 100% capacity - and that is a good thing!

Jim

• 2. Re: Is 1000w PSU ok for this build?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Get the Pro version, set system load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30%. Add 10 - 15% to the calculated wattage to be safe. Pay attention to the amperage on each rail.

Start here: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

• 3. Re: Is 1000w PSU ok for this build?
              Anthony Freeman 99 Level 1

Hi Harm and Jim,

Thanks for responses.

What does "  Pay attention to the amperage on each rail mean?" what is a rail?

many thanks

Anthony

• 4. Re: Is 1000w PSU ok for this build?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

A rail means the amperage on the 3.3 V output, the 5V output and the 12V output. In some cases the overall wattage seems sufficient, but the output on the 3.3V rail may be less than the PSU can supply, or it may be troublesome with the 5V rail. It depends on your components whether that is a problem or not, but I once (two years ago) had selected a 1000 W Zalman PSU, but discovered that the 3.3V rail did not deliver sufficient juice to power all my hard disks so I needed another PSU. Hence my warning.

• 5. Re: Is 1000w PSU ok for this build?
                  Anthony Freeman 99 Level 1

Thanks Harm,

Unfortunately Im not that tech savy so dont really understand the  details in your response.

Not that Im questioning but would you be able to corroborate what Jim says above that 1000w coolermaster seems fine and I might even be able to go slightly lower. (i dont think i wil though).

If possible I would just like second corroboration without having to work through the calculator (Sorry I seem a little out of my league with it) ?

Thank you

Anthony

• 6. Re: Is 1000w PSU ok for this build?
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Anthony,

Another thing... If you want to have a quiet PC, I read somewhere that if you oversize your power supply and it has a thermostatically controlled fan, you can run in a range most or all of the time without the power supply needing to speed up (and get noisy) in order to cool itself off.

I know with my P/S, a Corsair AX1200, it could be considered oversized for my system needs but I simply love how quiet it is ALL of the time.

Jim