12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 10:07 AM by the_wine_snob

PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...

kaywert

Hi

I am relatively new to video editing and PP, but I have gotten so far in the process of creating a 1 hour 50 minute project consisting of a few video clips, JPEG visuals, audio voice tracks and Flash SWF files.

On rendering the project as a whole, it will get nearly two hours down the line and simply crash. I split the project into three separate parts, basically three lots of 35 minutes and renered it ok.

I'm now going through the process of exporting via Adobe Media Encoder into MPEG-2 format, the first two files exported OK, but the third, which is quite SWF heavy will only get so far before AME just hangs, the time elapsed counter freezes as well as all the other time counters.

On the whole, I'm finding that PP is not so great, it seems a very unstable application. On openning these projects I will invariably get  "A SERIOUS ERROR" warning and the app shuts down. Most frustrating. I have tried running the adobe clean up program, and uninstalling and reinstalling.

I've looked high and low on the web for assistance to no avail. I really hope someone is able to help me resolve this, as it's now consuming a heck of a lot of unecesarry time!

Thanks for any input : )

• 1. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of Premiere Pro? (I.e., have you installed the recent updates?) What operating system? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. Are you using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration?

• 2. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
            kaywert Level 1

Hi Todd

Thank you, and sorry, I thought I had listed my OS/Hardware in my signature!

I'm using an Apple iMac (mid 2010) 3.2 Ghz i3, 4GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 5670 and Mac OS 10.6.6.

I have CS5 all up to date, yes. I have no third party codecs, just the bog standard stuff, and I have

experienced these problems with other software running and with no other software running at all...

• 3. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First a couple of questions:

You mention Rendering, which is the creation of "proxy files" for the smoothest possible playback. This is done by hitting the Enter/Return key. If one has Assets with red lines above them, this will create files, just for preview, and the red line turns green. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

OTOH, I think that you are talking about Export, which is the Encoding of the Sequence to an output file, and is done with AME (Adobe Media Encoder).

Which are you having crashes with?

With Export, one of the likely causes of a crash is the lack of free space on the HDD's. How much free space do you have on your destination HDD? It might also be useful if you would state your I/O setup, i.e. all of your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, free space and how you have them allocated. This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Other causes for crashes, or BSOD (system crash on a PC), are discussed in this ARTICLE. I do not know how much will apply to a Mac, but some of the causes certainly can.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                kaywert Level 1

Thanks Hunt, I'll take a look at those links.

No, I mean Rendering. Hit 'return' and ... rendering 1xxx of 164000 frames. As I say, I split the project into three chunks and found the rendering process to be more workable, but obviously this isn't ideal.

Export on the otherhand, has problems of it's own. Ie; I have experienced a couple of crashes on exporting, but have successfully managed to complete this process.

In terms of HDD space, I have over 600GB free and in PP Preferences have the max allowable of 2.5gb ram allocated to PP (from memory!).

I've had this new iMac for a few months, and it is fantastic, really nippy. I don't imagine it's a hardware issue, but I could be wrong. I am not using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration, only what comes as standard.

• 5. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, thanks for the clarification. Like Export, Rendering can be pretty intense also. As it is only for smoothest Preview, one does not usually need to Render the entire Timeline.

Also, one can limit Rendering to just portions of the Timeline with the WAB (Work Area Bar). Here is a look at the WAB (from PrPro 2.0, but it's the same in CS5 with just a slightly different look):

WAB_Duration_01.jpg

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>In terms of HDD space, I have over 600GB free

Would that be only ONE hard drive?

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                    1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
                    2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
                    3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write
                    Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                    You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                    Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                    You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                    A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
                    One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

• 7. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                      kaywert Level 1

Hi John

That's interesting. Yes, only running the one HDD. Would partitioning the HD make a difference do you think?

I've been considering doing this for some time, ie; have a portion of the Hard Drive for my applications and the other portion for generally working with files, for if I ever want to re-install the OS that is.

Otherwise I have an Omega 500GB external that I could use.

And Hunt, nother interesting point. I was of the impression that rendering was a necessity prior to export..

• 8. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not partition the HDD. That will only add another bottleneck to the mix. See this ARTICLE for some background and details.

For the utilization of externals, that can provide a benefit, but with some caveats. See this ARTICLE for more details, and those caveats.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

> partitioning the HD make a difference

Oh yes... read the article Hunt linked... a partition should only be used for STATIC files, never for editing, since your one set of read & write heads is now doing even MORE work with an active partition, resulting in even slower operation and more potential problems

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                            kaywert Level 1

Hey Hunt

Over the weekend, I had a read of your articles (fantastic, only wish I had the presence of mind to find and read them a lot earlier!) and experimented with the configuration.

I'm operating on the iMac and have an Iomega MiniMax 500 GB external USB2.0. I know you say the USB2.0's don't cut it, and I can go along with this as I still had a few issues with speed etc. However, on the whole - I had much, much better results with the files on the external.

I would also like to point out, that I was having trouble exporting a project where the visuals consisted of mainly a Flash SWF file, I converted this to an MPEG for experimental purposes, and the export went through fine. Another project was littered with graphics; Lots of Jpegs and animated Titles, this one was problematic, particularly on openning the application PP, I would keep getting the Serious Error warning and then it would shut down. Could it be a corrupt Jpeg?

The learning curve is ongoing, but this thread has been nothing short of fasinating and I really appreciate the helpfulness and speed of reply from both of you guys!

I'll come back to this thread as I go on.

Thank you once again!

• 11. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The learning curve is ongoing, but this thread has been nothing short of fasinating and I really appreciate the helpfulness and speed of reply from both of you guys!

Trust me, the learning will always be ongoing, and well it should be. Along with trying to contribute here, I also am always learning something new.

For JPEG's, or any supported still format, there are some things to consider with Video:

• The Image MUST be RGB Color Mode - no CMYK or Indexed Color
                              • The pixel x pixel dimensions can have a major impact, especially on Resources usage, and in earlier versions of PrPro, Quality.
                              • With JPEG's, they cannot be Progressive. Use Baseline Optimized instead
                              • Paths and Smart Objects can cause issues, though not always
                              • With PSD's, Layers that only have a very few pixels, can be problematic - think of a tiny logo here
                              • Image files, and especially JPEG's from some other program, than Photoshop, can have poorly formed, or corrupt headers. The fix there is to Open the file in a more lenient Image Editor, do a Save, and the header info should be fine. IrfanView is one such Image Editor, and is free.

I use PSD's for everything, as I am not a fan of JPEG compression.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PP CS5 Rendering and subsequent encoding issues...
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

For direct access to most of my articles (for the ones on Muvipix, there are probably links in articles here), see the Tips & Tricks Forum.

Note: some of the articles are specific to PrElements, to other versions of PrPro, and a few on working in Encore. You might need to "read between the lines" a bit.

Good luck,

Hunt