4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 12:54 PM by Gordon000

Identical layers across pages, but not identical pages

Gordon000

Hi,

I have a photography website I'm creating. Every page except the splash page has an identical header and footer. What is the most efficient way to slice the pages an export them as HTML and images? Previously I was slicing the header and footer on every page and exporting them, but I end up with many identical slices.

I tried using master page, but the problem is that my home page has an image on it and I don't want that to carry through to all of the other pages. Am I better off slicing up each page individually even though they all have identical elements? Here are some snaps of what I'm refering to.

Home Page

Screen shot 2011-04-13 at 12.11.29 PM.png

Thumbnails

Screen shot 2011-04-13 at 12.11.44 PM.png

Photo 1

Screen shot 2011-04-13 at 12.11.57 PM.png

Thanks,

Gordon

• 1. Re: Identical layers across pages, but not identical pages
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

If you're truly building the site - and not just a graphical prototype, just select the necessary slices and export them. Use Dreamweaver to build the html/css page design, based on your mock up.

If you want to assemble a better mock up, remember that you can also share layers to pages. This gives you more specific control over what pages share content. The trick here is to create a layer (or layers) that contains the shareable assets. Then select the layer in the Layers panel and from the panel options choose Share Layer to Pages. In the dialogue that pops up, just add the pages that you want to share the layer to.

HTH

• 2. Re: Identical layers across pages, but not identical pages
            Gordon000 Level 1

Is it faster to export HTML and images so as not to have to re-create the enitre design mock-up in Dreamweaver? It wouldn't take me too long to re-align all slices on each page and add background color, but I'm just wondering if that's the most efficient way.

Thanks for the tip on layer shareing. I actually created this mock-up in Photoshop originally and then imported 1 layer comp and copied the layers to each new page. I think layer shareing would have sped up that process.

• 3. Re: Identical layers across pages, but not identical pages
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

If you're building a professional website, no. Exporting as HTML and Images produces a rigid, table-based html page where ALL content has been converted to bitmap form. Other than centering the design, you can't "re-align" anything in this export, without busting something else.

It won't be accessible, searchable and can break apart very easily if you attempt to edit the pages. It's fine for a clickable prototype, but not at all good for a proper, best practices web site.

The other option is to use the Export CSS and Images workflow which produces pages that are not all bitmaps, but you may still find yourself having to tweak the HTML and CSS on the exported design. For me, I just find it faster to build the pages the way I want in DW. The CSS export in FW is not a magic button, and still requires that you have a good understanding of HTML and CSS.

HTH

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Identical layers across pages, but not identical pages
                Gordon000 Level 1

Thank you! Extremely helpful.