9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 9:49 AM by JKWFILM

Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)

Stevedocmaker Level 1

I'm importing clips shot on an AF100 in the native AVCHD format.  For some abosultely absurd reason, this camera only seems to record clip names in a sequence starting at 00000.MTS each time the card is emptied.  OBVIOUSLY this is a cruel joke in the professional area for whom this camera is being marketed.

So one clearly needs a workflow that renames these clips - date shot + clip number for example - before importing them into PP.  The problem I am encountering is that when I rename the numbered filed insider the PRIVATE folder, PP no longer recognizes them.  How can I rename these clips and still have them recognized by Premier Pro?

Steve Keller

• 1. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, Premiere will still open them if you rename them, but if you leave them in the AVCHD folder structure, Premiere won't recognize them if you try to browse to them with the Media Browser. That's because there are metadata and index files in the folder structure that ID each clip--if the file names don't match in the index, the clips are effectively invisible.

You could pull the MTS files out of the folder structure but if you need timecode, you'll lose it--the metadata is store externally in the CPI files you might have seen. If they're outside of the folder structure, they'll all start at 00:00:00:00. You'll have to decide how important timecode is to you.

Another problem with the MTS container is that you can't inject metadata into it; it's locked. So while you can add clip metadata to a clip in a Premiere Pro project, the metadata only lives with that project--not the file. That would be OK if you're staying in one project, but media portability is important. Right now, Premiere doesn't properly generate a sidecar XMP metadata file with structureless AVCHD MTS files.

To that end, I've been experimenting with rewrapping the streams in the MTS files in an MP4 container. I'm not too concerned with timecode--no need for it in most of my workflows--but with MP4, you have a more flexible container that actually CAN have metadata injected into it. This means that if you log a clip in a PPro project, you can send the media file to another PPro workstation, and the logging information sticks with the media file. That's important for multi-platform workflows. I'm using FFmpeg and FFmbc to do this; it's a lossless rewrap that's very fast. I've been considering doing a write up on this, if you think it's something you'd be interested in trying.

Anyway, just a few thoughts...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
            Stevedocmaker Level 1

Thanks for the in depth response, I was about to pull my hair out (what's left of it at least). I can live without timecode, so I'll just have to import the clips.  BTW, I found a useful utility for renaming files (Mac), the applicaiton is called "A Better Finder Rename".  So at least now I have a workaround.

It sure would be nice if Adobe could come up with a way for us to be able to use renamed clips and still have the functionality of the media browser.

• 3. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
              Colin Brougham Level 6

You can also use Bridge to rename files in a batch, with lots of various permutations (e.g. time, date, etc.); just in case A Better File Rename costs something, you should already have that in your toolbox.

It sure would be nice if Adobe could come up with a way for us to be able to use renamed clips and still have the functionality of the media browser.

You can still use the Media Browser with the "naked" MTS files; just drop them in any folder and navigate to the folder with the Media Browser. For all practical purposes, this is no different than browsing into the AVCHD folder structure. The only major thing you lose is timecode, which you've said you can live without, so you should be covered.

• 4. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
                welchphoto Level 1

Hi

I just read this.

If I change the files and don't care about the timecode will PP still link the files> I shot long clips,.1 to 3 hours so I have lots of 2gig files.

If only the camera maufactures allowed some way to name them from the get go.

Thanks

Dennis

• 5. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

If I change the files and don't care about the timecode will PP still link the files> I shot long clips,.1 to 3 hours so I have lots of 2gig files.

No, it won't, and more than likely, bringing in the separate pieces will result in clips that have issues at the join points. If you want to properly span clips, you need to preserve the folder structure exactly as it was shot--that means filenames can't change, either.

Once you import the first clip in a spanned take, however, all the clips will be joined. The easiest way to do this is to use the Media Browser to navigate into the folder structure; it will automatically put all the spanned files into one master clip for easy import. Once imported, you can change the clip name--though that is just within the project, and not on the files itself.

• 6. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
                    welchphoto Level 1

Thanks

Yea I use Media Browser now I was just hoping there was a better way to deal with the file names it is really lame that I have to have file after file with the same name. Not really the way this should work. There must be a way to change the name and maintain the file structure. I know I can change the name once it is imported in the project but the real file will stil have the real name.

Please let me know if you do find a way.

Thanks

Dennis

• 7. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

it is really lame that I have to have file after file with the same name.

Can you explain what you mean? Where are you seeing this? As a result of what?

• 8. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
                        welchphoto Level 1

Hi

Maybe I didn't say it right.

The Sony camera we use names the files:

0000.MTS

0001.MTS  and so on. So each time we shot I have to creat a folder to put the AVCHD folder in with a different name like:

BIG PROJECT> CamA, CamB then in the CamA and B folder is the AVCHD folder for that cameras files. But all the stream files on all the projects all have the same names, 0000.MTS, 0001.MTS and so on.

Does that explan it better? When I used tape I just captured the video and named it, BigProjectCamA_Tape1.AVI

I want to be able to name the files not all 0000.MTS.

Dennis

• 9. Re: Rename AVCHD clips (Mac)
                          JKWFILM

So, I think I may have found a solution to the ability to batch rename .MTS files without losing the folder structure integrity. First off, with AVCHD folder structure intact, save a back up of all of your footage on an external drive for RAW footage, and then go into the AVCHD folder by right clicking and selecting "show package contents," and repeat this process with the folder titled "BDMV," then click on STREAM and there you will find all of your film media as .MTS files. Now, select all of your files and right click to open with Adobe Bridge. That will bring you to Adobe Bridge where you can select them all again and Batch rename them however you want. Doing it this way will not affect the RAW footage which has been saved to an external drive, and now you can play with a copy of all your footage, name them, edit, etc. I hope that helps. Also, you can select the RAW footage open the .MTS files the way I told you before, then in Adobe Bridge when you are batch renaming you can select either option under DESTINATION FOLDER to "move to another folder" or "copy to other folder" which does basically the same thing. I would suggest using a copy of the RAW and playing with that instead of playing with the RAW in case something happens. You should always have multiple copies of your RAW footage. Just in case.