5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 5:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Fade in and Fade out does not show up in Properties

gary_sc Adobe Community Professional

I'm on a Mac and (trying to) use Pre 9. I see on the Pre 9 PDF where they are supposed to be, but they do not appear. There does not seem to be any other location or placement for Fade in and Fade out. There doesn't seem to be any right-click or secret handshake about where they are located or how to make them appear.

They just are not there.

Amongst the many features and effects that are for Windows Only, is the Fade in and Fade out part of that exclusivity?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

• 1. Re: Fade in and Fade out does not show up in Properties
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Of course not.

You can create a Fade In or Fade Out for audio, video or both by right-clicking on any clip on your timeline and selecting the option.

If your Mac mouse doesn't allow for right-clicking, you can also use Ctrl+click.

My books cover this and all of the tools in the programs as well as the differences between the PC and Mac versions.

You can also check out my free Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvpix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Fade in and Fade out does not show up in Properties
            gary_sc Adobe Community Professional

Hi Steve,

Thanks for helping me here.

Exactly what do you mean "Of course not." In the various PDFs I'm finding for Pre 9, I'm seeing the ramp up and ramp down icons in the Properties Panel and in Adobe's Pre 9 PDF there is the following from page 208

Animate the Opacity and Volume fixed effects
            1Select the clip in the Timeline.
            2In Effects view of the Tasks panel, click the Edit Effects button.
            3In the Properties view, position the current-time indicator where you want the animation to begin.
            4Click the Fade In button .
            5Move the current-time indicator to where you want the animation to end.
            6Click the Fade Out button .

So where's the buttons?

Also, the Fade in and Fade out you mention is for the specific video or audio portion, not if I want an effect to ramp in or out. How do you do that without the buttons I'm busy looking for?

Again, thanks for your help.

Gary

• 3. Re: Fade in and Fade out does not show up in Properties
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

I do not know about the Fade In & Fade Out buttons, but one can easily animate the fixed Effects> Opacity (Video), and Volume (Audio), with Keyframes.

In those cases, one would also use the Effects Control Panel, accessed by Selecting the Clip and then hitting Edit Effects. I find it easiest to do things slightly out of what would be considered the normal "order" of things. I move the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) to where I want the Fade In to END, toggle ON Keyframes (Stopwatch Icon), and place a Keyframe there. Then, I go to where I want my Fade Out to START, and place another Keyframe. That area between those two is the value that I want held, say Opacity = 100%. Now, go to first Frame of the Clip, and place another Keyframe, which will be have its value set to 0 (or the setting of my choice). Then, I go to the last Frame of the Clip, and set the 4th Keyframe, adjusting it, as I need. The beauty of Keyframes is that they allow one to employ Interpolation to alter the Velocity of the Effect that has been Keyframes. Settings like Ease Out and Ease In can smooth the animation out nicely, as can Bezier.

Hope that helps, and once you get the hang of the concept of Keyframes, you will end up doing everything with them - they are that powerful.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Fade in and Fade out does not show up in Properties
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Fade In and Fade Out buttons are a function of Opacity and Clip Volume, and can be found on the Properties panel under the Opacity listing.

Ramping an  effect up or down is not a function of Fade In or Fade Out though. It's a keyframing function, which I also cover in my books, if you're interested.

• 5. Re: Fade in and Fade out does not show up in Properties
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I strongly advocate for Steve's books.

As I mentioned above, once one has Keyframing (works with many Effects) down, they will possess "The Force."

The books are worth about 10x price, just with the tricks that they offer. When on is done with the basic PrE and PSE books, then his Tips & Tricks will take them to the stratosphere.

Good luck,

Hunt