2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2011 5:06 PM by alvinphoto

AE Render Engine Run as Background Service ?

alvinphoto

Hello,

I am trying to setup a render farm with AE networked rendering and was wondering if there was a way to make the Render Engine become a background service so it would not require any log on for it function (for example 3dsmax's backburner, V-ray, Maya... they all run as a background service on the render farm)

Thanks a lot for any help !

Alvin

• 1. Re: AE Render Engine Run as Background Service ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can run any executable as a service by piping it through svchost. Check the Microsoft pages. No idea whether this will work, though.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AE Render Engine Run as Background Service ?
            alvinphoto Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply and for the info Mylenium !

I have looked into it and have successfully got it to run AfterFX as a service, EXCEPT it doesn't seem to be taking into account the parameters -re -wf <path>(formatted like this: "z:\folder" where z: is a mapped drive ). I used the nssm software to make afterfx a service. Now I can see the AfterFX.exe process running in the task manager but it doesn't do anything such as picking up a render job, there's no watched_folder.htm file being created there as  opposed to just runnig it . I guess  I have  to figure that part out so it actually renders.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks again !

Alvin