6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 4:56 AM by Harm Millaard

jpegs: how big is too big?

getho Level 1

I do a fair bit of panning and scanning with jpegs and couldn't understand why sometimes they would play back in realtime and others would barely manage 1 frame every couple of seconds.  (Some would appear with a yellow status bar and others red).  It seems it comes down to filesize, but I was wondering is it pixel dimensions that are the issue or filesize?

3411x2469 (8.4MP, 5.1Mb jpeg)  played back in realtime - and rendered very quickly

4650x3100 (14 MP, 6.2Mb jpeg) gave me the red bar, played back hardly at all and is currently set to take 5 hours to export.

• 1. Re: jpegs: how big is too big?
          anuraggrwl Level 2

What’s the source of the jpeg files?

What’s the Sequence settings and System Configuration ?

Are you using multiple (More than one) timeline with other assets/files?

5 hrs. hours to export with Only Jpeg, can you please tell exact workflow and length of you timeline?

I have seen this happening but only when you use multiple video layer with different formats of assets.

• 2. Re: jpegs: how big is too big?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The old "max size" was 4096 pixels. There was contention that this applied to the largest dimension, but some users indicated that it was 4096 x 4096, so that it was the max combined pixels that really counted. Not sure if the max size has been bumped up in CS5 (seems that Todd has indicated that it has).

Also, AfterEffects will easily handle MUCH larger images, than will PrPro, and because of some differences in how stills are handled, will not stress the machine as much. For very large stills, that would be a better program to employ.

Also, and regardless of the max size that PrPro can handle, shoving all those extra pixels around taxes one's system. Can you give details on your computer?

On my old workstation, I could easily manage up to four 4000 x 3000 PSD's. When I added # 5, things really, really slowed down. With six, it was to a crawl, and seven just plain stopped the computer. AE did not even blink with 30 4000 x 3000 PSD's, and I got the job done quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: jpegs: how big is too big?
              {KMS} Level 2

It sounds like you are using a CUDA enabled card (I may be wrong).  When using CUDA, there is a file size limit according to the amount of RAM on your graphics card.  Once the files size become too large, a red bar appears because all the processing is handled by the CPU. Here is some great information from on the topic from Todd Kopriva:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/07/maximum_dimensions_in_premiere.html

• 4. Re: jpegs: how big is too big?
                getho Level 1

{KMS} wrote:

It sounds like you are using a CUDA enabled card (I may be wrong).  When using CUDA, there is a file size limit according to the amount of RAM on your graphics card.  Once the files size become too large, a red bar appears because all the processing is handled by the CPU. Here is some great information from on the topic from Todd Kopriva:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/07/maximum_dimensions_ in_premiere.html

Bingo!

I'll have to do some trial and error and see what the biggest is I can import

thanks!

• 5. Re: jpegs: how big is too big?
                  getho Level 1

actually just crunced the numbers and according to that link the 1st jpeg I mentiond in the original post should by 500ish MB, the 2nd should be 879Mb.  I've supposedly got 896mb available, I'm guessing theres an overhead being used elsewhere?

Which means I'll still have to try trial and error to see what works in practice.

• 6. Re: jpegs: how big is too big?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The Windows overhead is 128 MB, so the 879 MB JPEG will not fit and thus hardware MPE will be bypassed and software MPE will be used for your timeline.