13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2011 1:11 AM by Harm Millaard

system non responsive with CS5 Premiere

rsutter

I am using CS5 5.0.3 on a Win 7 64bit Ultimate i7 920 with 8gb of DDR3 ram and constantly find that while trying to edit using Premiere and also running Bridge, premiere will time out with the cute win7 circle and pause until my system catches up. I am sure that others have seen this but I have searched the forums and I can't find anything.

I have gone through the forums to find suggestions to make my computer as efficient as possible and have done so. I am about to place a Nvidia GTX460 card in to replace a GTX260 again because of a suggestion on the forum to move from DDR3 memory to DDR5 and I hope that this will make a difference.

Do others find that CS5 to have similar problems with stalling or pausing? My typical thing if this happens to often is to simply save and reboot and hope that my ssystem will be refreshed and back to normal. Right now my CPU usage is 1% and physical memory is 46% so that is not an issue.

any suggestions or comments? I will bhe glad to add additional things if someone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I haven't seen this kind of behavior with my own system.  Not sure what might be causing it.

What sort of actions are you performing when you notice the slowdown?

• 2. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
            rickg1949 Level 1

Kind of a similar situation to the question I posed about video cards.  I get that same kind of "hiccup" as I refer to it.  And as you mentioned, system resources don't seem to be over used.

Rick

• 3. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
              rsutter Level 1

I am not doing much actually just switching from bridge on one monitor to identify a photo that I want to add to the timeline and then back to premiere. It is a hiccup but is very annoying.

I do have my antivirus running in the background. Should I turn that off???

wow, thanks for the quick replies.

• 4. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd actually completely uninstall any antivirus on a production rig.  You should not be using such a machine for every day activities anyway.  I can't say doing so will resolve this one issue, but it's still a good idea.

The issue of lagging when switching programs was resolved with an update.  Are you sure you're running 5.0.3?

• 5. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                  rsutter Level 1

Ummm ok about anti virus. I did check and I am running CS5 version 5.0.3. I have uninstalled antivirus and will reboot and cross fingers.

Do you feel that using an nvIDIA gtX260 W ddr3 and adding this to the cudu txt file and running mercury could cause this as well?

• 6. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Seems unlikely.

• 7. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                      houartna Level 1

That happens to me too, and it's very random. Also have a problem of non-responsiveness with XDCAM-EX files (not HDV for instance) where the video stops or goes black during playback and not the audio, or sometimes the contrary, the audio disapears while the video playback smoothly... and then the Windows wheel comes in action for 30sec to 1 minutes...

• 8. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

In very general terms, a lack of responsiveness is often caused by either other processes stepping up their activities, and robbing resources at the wrong time, or by files that are being accessed by other programs, when they are needed by PrPro. The latter was the reason that the active, real-time anti-virus scanning software was mentioned. I have seen issues with Windows Indexing, though in most of those cases, an error message was generated, along the lines of "file ____ could not be accessed, as it is locked," or similar syntax. However there have been times, where the error message was not generated - just a very long pause, until Windows Indexing finished, and let the file go.

For the former, I've seen instances, where operations, like program updaters, kick in, access their home Web site, and scan for updates. Some, seem to feel the need to do so almost hourly. That is one reason that none of the programs on any of my computers is set to auto-update. Some of these can be highly intrusive, when doing the system scan, to compare with available updates. I even keep my Adobe updaters set to full manual, along with my OS's. I will take responsibility for doing the updates.

Shots in the dark? Yes, but those have been big causes for similar. Only possible causes? No, not hardly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                          rsutter Level 1

I am about to reformat my main OS HD and reload Win7 Ulitimate 64-bit and then reload CS5 on that clean system drive. I will also add a RAID 0 using WD Caviar black drives.

I suspect that in the short amount of time the OS HD is filled with gremlins that is helping to cause unexpected results.

The main reason also for doing this is that I just discovered that the group who built my system included 3 drives,,,, OS + 2 production drives which are WD green 1TB HDs which I suspect is a HUGE culprit for these problems.

I really hope that this will help in the long run!

• 10. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>WD green 1TB

If those are 5400rpm drives you are right... they are not suitable for video editing

A green drive MAY be used in a DVR (I read in a couple of DirecTV forums) where the drives will read or write fast enough for the Mpeg4 data stream, so someone who doesn't understand video editing may think "OK for a DVR = OK for computer video"

• 11. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                              rsutter Level 1

I have another 'brainer' question...

AS i have mentioned I am putting in a RAID 0 with two WD 1TB Black Caviar which are capable of  SATA 6mb/s speed though my MB can only handle  SATA3mb/s.

Would you recommend to buy a PCI RAID controller card that can handle the 6mb/s speed or will I really notice the difference if I use my built in controller on my P6TD Deluxe ASUS MB?

I have noticed that I can buy a HighPoint RocketRAID 620 2 SATA Port PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller for ~$50. and i am willing to do this if you feel it will make a difference.

Thanks

• 12. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

A dedicated RAID controller will speed things up, and from several directions.

I do not know that unit, but feel that others will, and can comment specifically.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: system non responsive with CS5 Premiere
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't bother with a $ 50 raid card. It is software raid for that price and you will not notice any difference in performance. Just a waste of money.

You haven't told what kind of system setup you have, apart from the CPU, memory and video card, so my remarks may not be 100% spot on, but here it goes:

Your memory is slowing down things. You should have a triple channel configuration but you are using a dual channel configuration. Increase memory to 12 GB. Your disk setup may be lacking. Use three or more 7200 SATA disks. You may not have tuned your system, in the sense that you may have indexing and compression on on one or more disks, you may have the sidebar running, you may have Aero on, you may have background processes like jusched.exe, mDNsresponder.exe, anti-anything, disk defragger, and other stuff running in the background.

This link also applies to Win7: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...