1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 192 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2012 10:48 AM by Paul_Ferguson Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
        Michael Putrino

Hi Durin,

The Volume Envelope and Stretch and Pitch processes are great. I hadn't found them previously because I didn't expet the menu-bar Effects menu to be different from the rack effect menu. No problem...thanks for pointing it out.

Regarding the IK Multimedia VST mastering effects: I downloaded the updated versions, but am still having the same issue. I can load them and open them, but when I try to turn one of their knobs, it stutters and goes back to its original position. Then, when I try to close the effect, Audition freezes and I have to kill it with the task manager.

Thanks,

Mike

• 81. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
          _durin_ Adobe Employee

Thanks, Michael.  The known issues with some of the IK effects invoke a crash on initial scan with some versions, so you're definitely not seeing the problem I'm talking about.  This behavior occurs in T-Racks on Windows, I assume?  Which edition?  If you can provide clear repro steps (here or directly to audbugs@adobe.com) I'll see if we can reproduce the behavior here and determine the cause.

You also mentioned presets not working properly.  Does this only occur with 3rd party VSTs, or do you have the same trouble with native Audition effects?  When you relaunch Audition, do the presets exist but simply not change the effect parameters, or do you not see the presets listed with the effects at all?

Thanks

• 82. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
            Charles VW Adobe Employee

Alex Radzishevsky wrote:

All these functions make Audition absolutely not replaceble by any other tool. MatLAB and Audition - is the ultimate tool chain.

Perhaps the workflow for these users should be split out into another thread.   As a fellow MATLAB user, I'm curious to know how other people are using MATLAB and Audition together.   You probably didn't notice it, but Audition can now open MAT4 and MAT5 (*.mat) files directly.   Although you need to have the variables named a certain way.

So how about we start a new thread for

Audition in audio development and audio validation process.

such that your colleagues in this area can also chime in where it isn't in a thread that is already too long to read.

• 83. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
              Michael Putrino Level 1

Hi Durin,

I just tried the IK Multimedia TRacks 3 Vintage Compressor 670, version 3.1.2.

I loaded a song, selected the VST preset via the Effects Rack.

It opens, but when I try to move any of the effects' knobs, they move but spring back to their original position.

This time I was able to close the effect, but when I tried to remove it from the Effects Rack, Audition froze for 2 minutes before I killed it with the Windows task manager. I am using Windows XP professional.

Regarding presets: They work great with Audition native effects. But, I am having trouble with 3rd Party VST effects. I can save presets and see them when I reload the effect. But, when I try selecting a preset, it does nothing. Again, the presets are there when I re-launch Audition, but when selected, they do not change the parameters of the VST effect.

Thanks again,

Mike

• 84. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                Avidalone Level 1

Does Audition open "Adobe Sound Documents" from soundbooth? How do I burn a CD with tracks now?

• 85. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                  MusicConductor Level 3

Hi, Avid.  Unfortunately Audition CS5.5 doesn't open Soundbooth documents, but in all fairness, no version of Audition ever has.  These programs have always worked nicely together installed side-by-side, so keep your newest version of Soundbooth on your system to retain that ability.  (I've even gone so far as to export tracks one at a time to separate waves for further editing and mixing in Audition, though Soundbooth does what it does well enough that normally I wouldn't try that.)

There are many discussions here for what's been set aside for the time being to get Audition CS5.5 released for both Mac and PC.  If you're interested in the whats and the whys, please stroll through some of the recent large threads here.

CD burning is not yet there, obviously.  Until a future update/upgrade, you'll need to save your audio to wave files and use other software, whether that be an earlier version of Audition, Nero, Roxio, CDRWIN, or whatever, to burn it to a disc.

• 86. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                    sir_c Level 1

Hi, I'm delighted that Audition has finally got an overhaul at last, and I agree that it starts super-fast which is nice. I also love the fact that fx are applied in a dynamic rack like Soundbooth which is so much more sensible! However, can I ask about a couple of features that I liked in Soundbooth that aren't in 5.5?

Firstly, creating mp3s from wav files, in Soundbooth there were 2 features I really liked. One was that I could play a preview from the save setting dialogue box which was great to judge quality verses size. The second was an estimate of the actual file size which again is quite important for some applications. Could they come back in for CS6?

Secondly, I really liked the snap-shot feature in Soundbooth and the asnd file type. I know it was large and heavy, but it was a great way of getting back to things and very helpful if for some reason or other you cleared out your history! Any chance we can have that back or do too many people hate it?

Thanks

Andrew

• 87. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                      D523121 Lhsdv

Hello durin,

I'm missing the feature to edit single samples by right-clicking on them in the waveform in CS5.5.

Do I need to change some magic option or was this feature removed?

I'd also like to see the tone/noise generators coming back with an update.

• 88. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                        Kendal Rasnake

As per your request:

Audition CS 5.5 will not have every feature available in  Audition 3, and if you find that it does not suit your particular needs,  please let us know exactly what is missing that prevents you from  upgrading and using it so that we can do our best to make certain these  areas are addressed and improved for CS 6.

We make radio and TV shows for global distribution.

I am requesting that you bring back the Play Preroll and Postroll option under the right-click menu of the playback button.  Now my editor has to cut the selection out, play it back, find out it's wrong, hit undo, cut again, play it back, etc.  The Play Preroll and Postroll option from Audition 3 would allow her to fine tune the selection to be cut before it is cut.  The other option in 5.5 is very crude, and that is to try to hit the Move CTI to Next button or use the keyboard shortcut at precisely the right moment when the CTI is about to start playing the selection.  This is imprecise and not worthy of professional audio editing software.  I also contend that features like this relationg to being able to cut out pieces of audio for cleanup and fix audio should be a basic function of this software and should take priority over things such as special effects, especially when the software is being marketed in Production Premium as a tool for video use as well.

I also don't understand why the CS5.5 help documentation for Adobe Audition still states that this option is present by right-clicking the playback button.  I suppose that either the Help manual for Audition 5.5 is the same as Audition 3 or that this is one section that should have been cut from the manual but wasn't.

Thank you for listening.

Kendal Rasnake

• 89. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                          emmrecs Level 4

Perhaps you might like to add a +1 to this thread in the Requested Features forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/859421?tstart=0

• 90. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                            _durin_ Adobe Employee

You can still edit the value of a single sample.  Zoom in, select the sample (or samples) you wish to modify, then use the on-screen HUD amplitude control to adjust their position.

• 91. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                              _durin_ Adobe Employee

Thanks for the requests.  Skip Selection behavior, with pre and post roll, and Tone Generation are two features we're painfully aware are missing in CS 5.5.  I would expect to see these tools addressed in CS 6.

I'm not sure what's up with the help except that the online help may be pulling some search words from older versions if it didn't find a match in the latest.  I'll look into it and contact the documentation team. 

• 92. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                D523121 Lhsdv Level 1

But all the HUD can do is amplify, right? In v3 I could enter 1.0 or -1.0 as sample value. Amplifying by x dB is not a replacement for this, because what if the sample value is zero. Gain will not change that.

• 93. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                  SteveG(AudioMasters) Adobe Community Professional

cs5crack@mailinator.com wrote:

But all the HUD can do is amplify, right? In v3 I could enter 1.0 or -1.0 as sample value. Amplifying by x dB is not a replacement for this, because what if the sample value is zero. Gain will not change that.

Whilst that's all true, I'd like to know what your legitimate reason for being able to manipulate individual samples is. I've been working with audio for over 45 years now, and I've never found one.

• 94. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                    epsilonfilms

There are many reasons to adjust samples.  I do it quite frequently.   The most common would be to fix a single sample that is out of place do to a recording glitch, However I also have on many occasions rebuilt clipped sections of my audio.

Also, using amplify on a single sample is not a real workaround.  besicids the problem already mentioned, there is also the problem that with amplify you can't cross from positive to negative.  You have to use the invert command on it first.  Sure you can do it, but it's slow and cumbersome, and when you have to fix 30 odd samples...

Also, I'm putting in my vote for Grouping and Control Surface Support.   Without the former I will be working all complex projects in AA3. Actually, without grouping, the multitrack editor is almost useless to me

I'd love the ability to nest projects in AA6, and also for me to control the way AA imports multitrack WAVs. Right now, I can ether have them treated as 7.1 sound, or 8 completely independent tracks. (less if I don't use all the tracks on my 788T)  I would like to be able to edit them separately, with the tracks grouped together in the files panel, and to be able to edit them altogether the way we can now, but with other playback options then just surround sound. If I map all the tracks to the Stereo speakers, I still have some tracks in one ear, and some in the other, when in reality, I need to be able to treat them as 8 mono tracks.  And If I split them up, I can't do wholesale edits to all of them at once anymore.   I could ofcourse stick them all into a multitrack, but then I can't groupe them .

• 95. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                      andi_urra Level 1

Hi, a small but helpfull feature that I was surprised not to find anymore is the crop handles. Those were introduced in Soundbooth and sped up my workflow quite a bit. Slicing one large file (e.g. an interview) into lots of smaller ones (e.g. single statements or words) was greatly enhanced by that feature: Copy selection to new file ... crop left&right ... do-other-stuff ... save.

Any chance to get that back?

Thanks and regards,

Andreas

• 96. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                        Mark Wheeler Level 1

I also don't understand why the CS5.5 help documentation for Adobe Audition still states that this option is present by right-clicking the playback button.  I suppose that either the Help manual for Audition 5.5 is the same as Audition 3 or that this is one section that should have been cut from the manual but wasn't.

Hi Kendal,

Preroll and postroll are not mentioned in CS5.5 Help. To limit search to that version, be sure to select "This reference only" to the right of the search box. If that's deselected, search will return results from additional websites, including older versions of Help (as Durin guessed).

In search results, the prefix "Audition 3.0" appears in titles to better distinguish older Help content.

Please let us know if you still experience this issue.

• 97. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                          Kendal Rasnake Level 1

Thanks for the clarification.

Kendal

• 98. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                            _The_Preacher_

Hi,

since I only have a limited number of activations for external plugins, I'd like to know some things before installing 5.5:

- Will the VST plugins from iZotope, i.e. Ozone4 and RX2 work with this release, or maybe even better (live view, just like on ProTools)?

- Will the VST "TT-DR-Meter" (Dynamic Range Meter) work as live view or will it still open in an exclusive window without the possibility to stay on Audition's interface?

- Since I use Audition mainly for Mastering, are there any specific limitations over v.3?

Thanks,

Message was edited by: _The_Preacher_, reason: typos

• 99. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                              Steve C2 Level 2

Hi _The_Preacher_

Ozone and RX 2 work.  That is, Ozone's latest versions work for me.  I have not tested with earlier versions.  Expect that the answer for other plugins will not necessarily be the same as for AA 3.  For example, many Voxengo plugins that worked with AA 3 do not work with the new Audition.  You might check with your plugin vendors to determine if their plugins are supported with AA CS 5.5.

Steve

• 100. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                TL2121 Level 1

Durin

thanks for the update -just wish Adobe would have gone down this path before CS3 instead of implementing 3 versions of soundbooth which dosen't stack up to what Audition was and is (i.e.  Soundbooth can't even do simple things without a crazy workaround like copying the right channel in a stereo track to the left- just like Premiere Pro fill left/right effect)

anyways

Pleas make sure they include center channel extractor as early as possible- I loved this effect in Audition CS2 it was great for repairing audio recorded with the on cam mic- (for run and gun applications)

Thanks for the update- It's been tough not having Audition around in the suite for the last 3 versions-

Viva Audition!

Tony

• 101. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                  _durin_ Adobe Employee

Hi Tony,

The Center Channel Extractor is already in Audition CS 5.5, under Effects > Stereo Imagery > Center Channel Extractor.  In fact, it's now a potentially real-time effect (it has a high CPU requirement, but as tracks can be enabled for real-time background pre-render, you can adjust it as needed and the pre-render will update and reduce CPU overhead) as well as offering a few additional tools such as Side Channel Levels adjustment.

Durin

• 103. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                    norman000

Durin, I do lots of audio restoration and desperately depend on using additional DirectX plugins from Sony. I already tried a third party VST wrapper which would only cause problems with the filter output, not mentioning the inconvenient workflow.

The missing DirectX plugin support has rendered the current version totally useless for me. Any chance that it will return in the upcoming Windows versions?

Thanks, Norman

ps. I personally could not care less about a ported Mac edition, however, one for Ubuntu with a possible DirectX port for Win plugins would be great.

[Edit]:

Hello, anyone there??

Message was edited by: norman000

• 104. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                      sikter

Hello to everyone,

I just couldn't sort it out if MIDI will or will not be included in version 6.

If not, what is solution for the drum track?

I've been a loyal user since Cool Edit 1,2 or something.

When I'm supposed to record/mix new song I always start with”Open a new session" and then I start from the scratch.

I play all instruments and never use loops or anything what's pre-done but to do so I am depending of a simple drum track.

I program those in Cubase today since I found MIDI editing in AA3,0 not very efficient.

Metronome is of course very useful and it could actually be enough but I play always better both guitar and the bass with a little action on the drum track.

I'll need that drum track eventually anyway so how am I going to make it in AA6?

I need to mention that I use MIDI for my piano, strings, pad and brass tracks but my main instrument is the guitar.

I LOVE AA, please, please, make me stick with it for ever...

sikter

• 105. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                        _durin_ Adobe Employee

Hi guys,

I cannot go on the record to say that specific features will or won't be in CS 6 since it's still under development and our feature priorities can always shift.  However, knowing where we are and what our focus is for the next release I feel confident that full MIDI Sequencing and VSTi support will not be available in time for CS 6.  Basic MTC and Metronome support are in the feature backlog, and prioritized near the upper range, but I cannot say for certain where they'll fall in the development cycle.

With regards to support for DirectX effects, I feel support is unlikely to make it into CS 6.  I'd be curious to learn, however, what the status of this format in the market is.  Are new effects being released in DX format?  If I have some data about the level of demand and support for these, I might be able to influence the priority for this feature in the backlog.

• 106. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                          Inity Arts & Music

That's exceptionally disappointing to hear. What WILL CS6 have? I think the majority of us just want the same features as AA3 had before ANYTHING else is brought in. Isn't CS6 still a year away anyway? And wouldn't the next release be 12-18 months after that? Are you implying that we'll have to wait 2+ years before Audition has MIDI support again... and possibly that long for DirectX support and even a metronome!?!?! Yikes! How long WILL it take for Audition's features to catch back up to AA3?

I don't know what features Adobe IS working on, but it's looking like Adobe is about to jump the shark.

• 107. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                            Inity Arts & Music Level 1

Also, most people aren't overly concerned which format NEW effects are being released in if they can't make use of effects that have been out and reliable for some time. In the music industry, certain gear has been a staple of most studios and added to new studios for literally decades. Some plugins have comparable value and longevity, including some Waves plugins, which I'm currently using through DirectX support. Who cares about the latest new plugins if I can't make use of $$$ worth of old ones? Nobody wants to throw out all their old gear when it's all still more useful than the latest bells and whistles. A half decent set of plugins costs multiple times a new version of Audition, so it's cheaper and easier to change DAWs than it is to forgo the use of myriad effects. DirectX support is amongst many other featuers that are a MUST HAVE for Audition to be useful to many of us. If for some reason Adobe is having trouble reinstating features in a timely manner, they should probably hire more (or more suitable) staff.

This really feels like Adobe is using a slight efficiency improvement to resell all the same old features multiple times by spreading them out amongst numerous "upgrades". It's appalling.

• 108. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition

Inity Arts & Music wrote:

This really feels like Adobe is using a slight efficiency improvement to resell all the same old features multiple times by spreading them out amongst numerous "upgrades". It's appalling.

Well, I understand the sentiment, but they aren't exactly doing that for the Mac users, are they? They've never had the features in the first place. But I can understand completely that Windows users might think that to a very great degree, they've subsidised that...

• 109. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                Michael Putrino Level 1

Update on saving presets for VST effects:

I found that I am able to save VST effect presets when I use the VST effects from the "Effects" pull-down menu at the top of the window.

Saving VST effects presets does not work only when done via the Effects rack.

Hope this helps.

Also, is there a way to add icon buttons for selected effects that I use often? This is available from Audition 3.0, but i can't find it in CS5.5. It would be even better if I can do this for selected VST effects as well.

Thanks,

Mike

• 110. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                  _The_Preacher_ Level 1

...il testo in italiano segue...

...the english text follows...

---

Sehr geehrter Absender,

bis zum 08.07.2011 bin ich in Urlaub und somit nicht erreichbar. Sobald ich zurueck gekommen bin, werde ich ihre Mail beantworten.

Wenn Sie Informationen zur Hotelsoftware benoetigen, kontaktieren Sie bitte die 0471/789399.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Hanspeter Holzer

---

Gentile mittente,

sono in vacanza fino al 08/07/2011. Appena torno, rispondo alla sua e-mail.

Se le servono informazioni riguardanti lo software per Hotel, si prega di contattare 0471/789399.

Distinti saluti

Hanspeter Holzer

---

Dear sender,

until 08-07-2011 I am on holiday. As soon as I come back, I will answer your e-mail.

Best regards

Hanspeter Holzer

• 111. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                    Michael Putrino Level 1

Regarding the FIR filter. I'm not really happy with what you guys did to the FIR filter. It was great in Audition 3.0. I wish you had not changed it.

It is now difficult to draw straight lines. you've made them curve even when I don't have spline set.

I hope the old 3.0 version of the FIR filter is made available in CS6.0.

Thanks,

Mike

• 112. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                      Michael Putrino Level 1

Whatever you guys did to the Center Channel Extractor, you did it very well. It is now extrememly usefull for raising or lowering lead vocals in mastering.

Also, the hard limiter is much improved. With the adjustable look-ahead, it is invisible even when used to greatly boost levels.

Gret job on both counts!

Thanks,

Mike

• 113. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                        tilted lab

This may seem a bit anal but I'd like to be able to select the "key frames" in the automation lane and enter an exact numerical value, sometimes the ol mouse just doesn't cut it.

I too am hoping for control surface integration AA3 allowed me to use my iTouch

AND I would like to be able to licence my laptop in addition to my pc so I can work in the field. (or did i miss something)

So far I like the new features of CS 5.5 ie.paint brush, a cleaner look, efficient use of CPU etc...

Don't like some of the features of AA3 missing but am leaning toward the upgrade.

CD burning is "take it or leave it" for me as I tend to push my clients toward mp3 format...CD's IMHO are going the route of 8Tracks!

Thanks!

• 114. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition

tilted lab wrote:

AND I would like to be able to licence my laptop in addition to my pc so I can work in the field. (or did i miss something)

You can do that bit now, just the same as you could with Audition 3. When you purchase it, you are allowed two activations, the proviso being that you don't use both at the same time. Yes, the idea is that one's for a desktop machine and the other for a laptop.

• 115. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                            SuiteSpot Level 4

"This may seem a bit anal but I'd like to be able to select the "key frames" in the automation lane and enter an exact numerical value, sometimes the ol mouse just doesn't cut it."

IMO nothing anal about it - I don't know how many times I could have used that feature.

• 116. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                              Paul_Ferguson Level 2

A feature I'd love to see but probably never will: Instead of clicking on automation envelopes and then clicking again and dragging the envelope to where you'd like it to be (very difficult to be precise unless the track has been fully expanded first), I'd like to be able to click on the automation envelope and use the arrow keys to raise or lower values, like you can do with values in the parametric eq.

• 117. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                                georgi m Level 1

Hi. Thanks for an amazing insight into Audition's history. I've long been a Cool Edit fan, and was missing it dearly from the Mac platform.

In my work I've always made use of the tone and noise generation capabilities, and it was disturbing to see them omitted in the CS5.5 build. However, I'd like to ask about the Doppler effect? It's one of the best tools I've seen in any software so far, and I can understand it's an underdog so priority is out of the question, but could do with a "yes we're adding it back soon"... ? I think there's a growing trend of sound designers diversifying regarding the tools and techniques they use, and assume they would be among your user base too?

G.

• 118. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                                  nowuc01oio1010

Durin,

Thank you for all the information and support you have provided.

I have one issue I have not yet seen discussed.

My biggest objection is the tiny fonts used in Adobe Audition.

Portable PC's (net-books and notebooks) outnumber Desktop PCs between five and ten to one. It is unfortunate Adobe Audition lacks DYNAMIC FONTS.

For example, I use a business class notebook with 15.4" display and a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. I cannot easily use Audition even when my PC is set to 144 dpi (150%) plus large fonts, because Audition locks down the fonts to tiny fonts.

I must downgrade my resolution to a fuzzy 1200 x 800 just to use Adobe Audition. At this resolution, spectral displays are aweful.

Remember, not everyone has a Low resolution monitor, or a 24" monitor. I hope your team will give some thought to this and make Adobe Audition more viewable and usable by employing Dynamic fonts.

Thank you.

Dave F.

• 119. Re: Audition CS 5.5 and the future of Audition
                                                                                    epsilonfilms Level 1

I found a rather crippling missing future last night that hasn't been mentioned yet as far as I know.

In the multitrack editor, you cannot add to or subtract from a selection of clips using the marquee selection method, only by clicking clips one at a time.

This became rather a problem in a project I was working on last night which has a couple hundred clips. Every time I needed to select a bunch of them I had to start over, because I couldn't just drag a selection around the dozen or so I needed to add to the existing selection.

This obviously wouldn't have been as much of a problem if we could group clips....