6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 9:09 AM by Colin Brougham

Importing EX3 footage, no video only audio [HELP]

Andre.se

Hello, i'm a media student shooting a fairly decent sized project. The camera i have available is a Sony cam shooting in the EX3 format.

The problem i have is that when exporting footage into premiere, it shows only audio. The icon is classified as an audio file, and it refuses to show the video track at all, so pretty much no video only audio. Now i haven't used premiere since forever and as such i am completely clueless as what might be off. I tried updating to the latest version(5.0.3) but no dice.

Premire gives me the following info on the video file:

QuickTime Details:
      Movie contains 1 video track(s), 2 audio track(s) and 1 timecode track(s).

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
      Frame Size = 1280 x 720
      Compressor = XDCAM EX 720p50 (35 Mb/s VBR)
      Quality = Normal (3,00)
      Temporal = Normal (3,00)

So anyone have an idea on how i get this working? A project setting or and update i´ve missed? Or do i just have to download the codec itself in some shape or form? Extremely thankfull for any help.

/ André

• 1. Re: Importing EX3 footage, no video only audio [HELP]
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Andre,

No Sony shoots to XDCAM MOV, that I'm aware of. A couple of JVCs do, or, if you used an EX3 and shot to MP4, Final Cut Pro will rewrap those as MOV when you Log and Transfer. The JVC clips will import into CS5, but the Log and Transfer MOVs will not. Do you know the actual chain of command as far as how these clips were created?

Are you on a Mac or PC?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing EX3 footage, no video only audio [HELP]
            Andre.se Level 1

Hmmm yes it was taken out of the memory with a program called XDCAM transfer onto a mac, this might be what's causing the troubles?

I'm on a PC currently.

• 3. Re: Importing EX3 footage, no video only audio [HELP]
              Eric Addison User Group Manager

Andre.se wrote:

Hmmm yes it was taken out of the memory with a program called XDCAM transfer onto a mac, this might be what's causing the troubles?

I'm on a PC currently.

I would say that's your problem...see if you can get the original BPAV folder with all your footage, import that into PPro, and you should be good to go.

• 4. Re: Importing EX3 footage, no video only audio [HELP]
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Definitely. You can buy a third-party codec to work with these directly, if you want, or you can try the free route (since you're a student, I think I know which one works better ):

1. Get ffmbc - FFMedia Broadcast .  This is a customized build of FFmpeg that is more geared toward  broadcast formats and applications. The latest "official" release (0.5)  will work.
                2. Open the archive and find the "ffmbc.exe" file in the "bin" folder. Drop it into the folder with the MOVs--or if you know how to set up a custom path, you could do that too.
                3. Create a new text file called something like "mov2mxf.bat" making sure that you can see file extensions; you need to have the .BAT extension. Make this file in the same folder as the MOVs and FFmbc.
                4. Paste the following into the batch file:
                  @ECHO OFF
                  for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmbc -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -f mxf -y "%%~na".mxf -acodec pcm_s16le -newaudio

5. Save it--again making sure it has a .BAT extension--and then double-click it to run it. It will rewrap all of the MOVs as MXF files that will import into Premiere.
                Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense. And next time, definitely keep the MP4s generated by the camera--those import perfectly into CS5.
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Importing EX3 footage, no video only audio [HELP]
                  Andre.se Level 1

Yes the original files worked like a charm. The files were sent to me by another person who had exported them to his mac. Now question, is the .mov thing something he requires for it to work in final cut? He cannot use the raw mp4 files in final cut? And will for instance any of this conflict when i do my raw editting "in the field" on my macbook with premiere? I mean does Windows and Mac Premiere require and different codecs or is it pretty much just the same?

Also since i haven't used Premiere in a while and im here i might just ask, has performance degraded with newer versions or is it simply due to all the HD everyones editting now? I think last time i used Premiere it was on version 6.5 or something and i remember it was faster and smoother then what my CS 5 currently is.

Thanks for the replys guys, was really helpfull.

• 6. Re: Importing EX3 footage, no video only audio [HELP]
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Now question, is the .mov thing something he requires for it to work in final cut? He cannot use the raw mp4 files in final cut? And will for instance any of this conflict when i do my raw editting "in the field" on my macbook with premiere? I mean does Windows and Mac Premiere require and different codecs or is it pretty much just the same?

Correct; FCP will rewrap the MP4s as MOVs on import--or rather, Log and Transfer. It doesn't change the codec or transcode anything, just changes the container. At present, Premiere cannot work with these MOVs--you can get the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode plugin if you want to do this, however. As far as the platform is concerned, Premiere's handling of various media is the same on both Windows and Mac. However, if you have FCP installed on your Mac, you may be able to import the XDCAM MOVs just fine, as that codec is installed with FCP--I cannot verify this, however.

Also since i haven't used Premiere in a while and im here i might just ask, has performance degraded with newer versions or is it simply due to all the HD everyones editting now? I think last time i used Premiere it was on version 6.5 or something and i remember it was faster and smoother then what my CS 5 currently is.

Quite the contrary. The software is certainly more demanding of hardware now, but it's also tuned to that modern hardware. If you're experiencing slow performance, it's most often due to underpowered hardware and/or highly-compressed formats like AVCHD. CS5 is quite snappy, even on my four-year-old workstation and my three-year-old laptop... but my 8-month-old workstation is a BEAST