5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 12:51 AM by Gazzaspi

Pagefile size?

VideoCrafters

I have 24 gig of memory

How do I set up my pagefile/virtual memory.

Image attached of my current settings

pagefile.PNG

• 1. Re: Pagefile size?
          RjL190365 Level 4

Right now you have two pagefiles - one on your system (OS) drive, one on your video drive. Windows likes just one pagefile - and put it all on the fastest of your non-system (non-OS) drives. Set that pagefile size to at least the recommended value under "Total paging file size for all drives" (in this case, set it to 36850 or higher, with both the minimum and maximum to the same value). And use only the fastest of your non-OS drives for the pagefile; for all other drives, set the pagefile to "No paging file".

• 2. Re: Pagefile size?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The recommended size it still shown by Windows as 1.5 times available memory. That used to be advisable for systems with 8 GB or less, but with 24 GB installed in the system, you will be hard pressed to use the pagefile at all, so I would suggest not spending mor than 12 GB on the pagefile, but make sure it is the first file created on the disk, because then it is located on the fastest part of the disk and is not fragmented.

• 3. Re: Pagefile size?
              Gazzaspi

Quote:  but make sure it is the first file created on the disk, because then it is located on the fastest part of the disk and is not fragmented.

Hi Harm, how would you make it the first file created?

Thanks Gary

• 4. Re: Pagefile size?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Format the disk so it is empty. Create the pagefile, reboot and then copy the other files to the disk.

• 5. Re: Pagefile size?
                  Gazzaspi Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Harm.

Many thanks

Gary