8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2011 8:43 AM by bogiesan

After Effects TV Ad Video Effect

JaydenLawson Level 1

Hey guys,

I'm trying to reproduce this video effect.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJT0dFHe6yw

Is there a plugin or a method I could use that could help me do it?  I have CS4, but could upgrade if need be.

I'd love to be able to choose a video of say, 10 minutes in length, and have it skip every say... 20 frames, and the 21st frame is set to display for 1/5 of a second.

Thanks!

Jayden

• 1. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I suspect your example uses far more accuracy than a simple automatic procedure.  They probably stepped through the footage and hand picked each frame. They may have even shot each frame independently in some of the shots.

But here's how to do it the simple way:

Use Time Remapping or Time Stretch to retime your footage to the correct duration.  Make sure Frame Blending is OFF.

Precompose.

Apply Time/Posterize Time effect and set to desired frame rate.

• 2. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
            JaydenLawson Level 1

Yeah you're absolutely right.  They would have put a lot of effort in to choosing each frame.  I would do that, except I've got hours of footage so I just want to cut the process down a little.

Thanks very much - I'll try what you suggested!

• 3. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

JaydenLawson wrote:

I've got hours of footage so I just want to cut the process down a little.

Why not do a rough cut in Premiere to cut those hours of footage down to minutes?

Actually, I saw very little in that spot -- except for the graphics, of course -- that couldn't be accomplished with simple editing.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
                bogiesan Level 4

Assuming we all saw the same bank spot, I beg to differ. This technique has been very popular for several years. Simple stop action animation done with a still camera. It's photographs that is shown fast enough to seem like a movie rather than video made into still frames. The difference is huge, both in the impression on the audience and the production  planning.

There is one sequence where the young lady's face is held perfectly the same size and focal distance while the milieu changes. That's pretty advanced stuff but easily done by a skilled crew.

bogiesan

• 5. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with bogiesan, there's a bunch of pre-production planning that went into this spot and it was probably shot with a still camera. Could have been video, but that doesn't remove the requirement for careful planning.

• 6. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
                    JaydenLawson Level 1

Thanks Dave - I just have a series of videos from a holiday and I want to summarise the entire trip.  I though that effect would work well for summarising in a unique way so I'll try the method mentioned by Dave and we'll see how we go.

I also have been advised to use "Time remapping and hold keyframes." - which sounds like what Dave is recommending.

• 7. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
                      JaydenLawson Level 1

I agree with bogiesan too.  I'd say it was carefully planned and shot with stills.  I have a couple of hours of GoPro footage which I want to condense to a couple of minutes, so we'll see how we go! 

• 8. Re: After Effects TV Ad Video Effect
                        bogiesan Level 4

Speed ramping can be done in many different apps and compressor/encoders. You do not need AE to perform a simple time compression render.

The worst such attempts at vacation compression are, to be kind, boring. The better are films, carefully edited to tell a story that unfolds and climaxes and, ultimately, is worth watching more than once. Time lapse is only one technique for some elements for some segments of the greater whole. Do not make the mistake of relying on a effect or a gimmick.

bogiesan