6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 9:38 AM by Steve Grisetti

Mouse

N@omi

Hi, I'm new to the Forum.

Does anyone have experience of a good mouse for precision that they would recommend? I start having wrist problems

Thanks

• 1. Re: Mouse
          nealeh Level 5

I've always found Microsoft Intellipoint mice very nice, but try them out at your local store. Also use a mouse mat with a gel hump to cushion your wrist.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mouse
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have two mice that I really like. Most of my work is done with a MS InteliPoint Optical Wheel-mouse w/ USB connection.

My favorite, however, is my Logitch cordless, as it is better ergonomically, and has better weight. It came with a keyboard, that was horrible, so I replaced that with my old USB keyboard - better tactile functions, better weight, and more contrast between the lettering on the keys and the keys - when editing in a dark room, a bit of contrast is important.

Each does a great job. However, each has had some issues, historically. MS has released some InteliPoint drivers, that messed up the GUI in Adobe programs. This has happened at least 3x over the years. Usually, MS will update the driver, and correct the issue, and in the meantime, users can either roll-back to the older InteliPoint driver, or can change to the MS Generic driver. Logitech has also had some issues with the Set-Point drivers, and I have had problems with Set-Point in general. I just use the MS Generic drivers for that mouse.

In Photoshop, I use my Wacom Intuos tablet, and seldom a mouse, but like my mouse for almost every other program.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mouse
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is your concern finding a mouse that's precise -- or one that's ergonomically designed so you won't hurt your wrist?

Note that the biggest cause of wrist fatigue is working on a desk that's too high. Ideally, your forearms should be parallel to the ground as you work your mouse or type. If your desk is higher than your elbows as you sit at it and you're constantly reaching up to work your computer, no mouse in the world is going to make any difference. You need a new desk or lower panel for placing your keyboard and mouse on.

• 4. Re: Mouse
                N@omi Level 1

Both things really, but mostly I look for one that is precise because I find it very hard to work on tiny details, and get fatigue as a consequence. If expensive then it's an investment that's worth the money.

Thank you everybody you are so nice to me!

• 5. Re: Mouse
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have someone stand behind or to your side and take a picture of you, with your hand on your mouse in your usual work position

Maybe a 2nd picture with the picture taker kneeling, so the picture is on the level of your desk top

Post a link to that picture... someone MAY have some ideas about your ergonomics

• 6. Re: Mouse
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If details are causing the problem, then maybe a bigger monitor would be a better investment. You'd be surprised how much more easily you can navigate a page on a 23" or two-monitor set-up!

The mouse itself is the least likely cause of fatigue.