23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2011 7:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Preview FIles GONE please help me

Real4k

Hi,

I have been working on a project for days and was almost done.  I left the program (Premiere CS5) open last night when I went to bed and when I got up, the program was shut down and gone... So I re-opened the Premiere CS5 program and re-opened my project successfully without any errors.  Everything looks good EXCEPT, there are no video files on the timeline..........  My titles, sound clips are there.  The project still looks like the sounds are in the correct places and the timeline appears to be the same length.  I have tried restarting the computer and re-opening the program but the don't come back.  I went to the Preview Files-cache folder for this project and its loaded with a few .mpeg files and a lot of .xmp files......  have I lost this project or is there some way to get premiere to put the preview files back into the correct position on the timeline?  This appeared to be a crash in the middle of the night sometime.  There was no power loss as my other programs were still running.  I have a Intel i7 950 processor with 12GB ram.  Pretty beefy computer.

Your help in restoring this project would be most appreciated.......

Mark

• 1. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Try checking for your most recent Auto-Save project

in the "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" folder that should

reside in the same directory as your project file.

Change the Auto Save settings

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSAB1EDD0E-ADC2-4a10-B399-E809E588618B.ht ml#WS69DB104A-0858-4d05-918E-2A63C1EEB9D4

• 2. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

It's not going to help you, I'm afraid, but the same thing hapened to me a few years ago.  I could not retreive the project.

For that reason I now "Save As" at the start of each day, including the date in the filename.  I then incrementally save every hour or so.  So the first file of the day may be something like "amex-041511-01" - incrementally changing the -01 to -02, etc etc throughout the day.

After a week or so editing, for example, I could end up with 60+ project files.  It's very easy to go back through the all the edit stages and, if things go horribly wrong,  only lose about an hour's work.

• 3. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

From your description of how you found your machine, I would guess that you might have encountered a BSOD, and the machien rebooted during the night.

First, I would go to Event Viewer, and check both the System and Applications Tabs, looking for what happened last night. You should have some warning messages and possibly some error messages. Study those, and follow any liks in any of those messages.

Now, regarding your Assets - are they still on the machine? Are they still where they were, when you Imported them? View/play some. Do they view/play fine?

The AutoSave is the next place that I would look for a PRPROJ file, with the links. Remember, if you left the default setting for AutoSave, you will have five files, but check the Date/Time, as 3 might be newer, than 5. It is a FIFO situation.

I also like to employ Save_As, when working on major Projects, so that I have a trail of PRPROJ files, along with my AutoSaves. One might loose a day's work, but usually not the whole Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                Real4k Level 1

In the "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" directory, there is only 5 .prproj files.  No preview files....

The second poster... You said a few years ago.  This is years later now and supposed to be a whole new core.  I can understand about the redundant backups but since the preview files seem to be in the correct folder, why can’t someone like an engineer figure out how to make Premiere retrieve them?

Mark

• 5. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

In the AutoSave folder, there will ONLY be the PRPROJ files. Any Render files will be in your Media Cache folders.

If you have the Assets, and are only missing the Render files, remember that the Render files are ONLY for smoothest playback, and one can recreate them by hitting Enter. This ARTICLE will give you more background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                    Real4k Level 1

Thanks,

But unfortunately, by the time you told me to check the Auto-Save folder, I had left the program open and it had AutoSaved 5 times over-top the files that had Auto-Saved last night when everything was OK.  So all those Auto-Save files are now the same.....  Useless...

I only have a few assets.  I mostly imported a video, duplicated it, cut it up and added transitions, effects like slow-mo and sound.  The sounds are still on the time line and so are the photos that I had imported.  What is missing is the cut-up pieces of video.  The original video is in the project list box.  It is just the WHOLE video now just like when I first started.  Where are all the clips that I cut up???  How do I change the auto-save functions?  It is saving too often and too few backups...

Thanks,

Mark

• 7. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that you missed the AutoSave files. Once, those were only created at the time interval, when one WAS editing. Not sure which version changed that.

Now, there are no Clips from what you did - the Cutting. There are only sets of instructions that would tell the program, or AME (Adobe Media Encoder) what data is required from the original Assets. Those instructions are in XML language in the PRPROJ file. The original Assets have not been touched yet, and will ONLY be read from, for Export, using the instructions in the Project file. This ARTICLE will give you more details. It also talks about the various Save functions, how to use them, and what their differences are.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Just to clarify, are you saying that the previews are missing?  No green line?

Or are you saying the video clips themselves are missing from the sequence?

• 9. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                          Real4k Level 1

MissingClips.JPG.

This is a photo of the timeline.  As you can see the title is there, some small sound clips along with a song.  On the Video1 line, where the cuts and effect were, i can only see what appears to be a rubber-band for the speed remapping.  I was using a log of slow-motion in a lot of different places.

Please say is ain't so............

Mark

• 10. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

V1 appears to have nothing but a title on it.  Are you saying you applied the cuts and effects to the title?

• 11. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                              Real4k Level 1

Please give me a little credit.  No I didn't apply anything to the little title.  The title was up on V2 last night.  Today my clips or "cuts" if you will are all gone.  No one has a clue thus far as to why or where the went.  I was lookgin for some ideas thanks,

Mark

• 12. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Are you saying that besides your originally edited Clip (now cut) on Video Track 1 disappeared, but that your Title on Video Track 2 moved to Video Track 1?

This observed behavior is getting stranger and stranger.

I have heard of PRPROJ files becoming corrupted, if a system shuts down during an AutoSave, or manual Save, but you have many things correct, and then others horribly out of order.

At this time, I would do a Save_As. Go ahead and exit, then reboot. Launch PrPro, and create an identical Project. Then, Import that Save_As into it. You may have to Dbl-click on the Timeline in that new Project, to open it in the Timeline Panel. What happens then?

If things are still wrong, I would download XML Wrench, and Open your Save_As PRPROJ file in it. This PrPro-Wiki FAQ Entry will give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me

It sounds like you trashed your edits on V1 by accidentally dropping
                                  your titles on top of them.  Then you left an unsaved project open all night.
                                  Premiere will Auto Save the specified number of instances to the
                                  Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save folder at the specified interval.
                                  If you leave an unsaved project open all night, all of your Auto Saves
                                  will be identical.  Not a good practice.

You should also read the earlier posts regarding having some sort of
                                  incremental sequence and project backup scheme.

If you had not closed the program after you noticed the problem,
                                  you might have been able to "undo" your way out.

It looks to me like you are back to recreating what you didn't have saved.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    No one has a clue thus far as to why or where the went.

They were overwritten when you accidentally moved the title down to V1.  Time to reedit.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                      Real4k Level 1

joe bloe premiere

this would make more since to me than anything so far because I kept falling asleep last night and sometimes when I do that I tend to click the mouse because the context menu is always opened up when I wake up.  Once I threw the mouse across the keyboard.  I was so sleepy I finally just got up and staggered over to the bed and crashed.  I may have did this very thing you mention.  Why does placing the title over the video trash the edits?

Bill Hunt

Yes Bill.  When I opened up Premiere this morning the title was on track 1 but I didn't even notice that until you guys pointed it out.  Joe made a lot of sense.

By the way, why was Premiere closed down this morning when I got up when I left it open?

Crazy I know...

thanks.

Mark...

• 16. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                        Real4k Level 1

If the program hadn’t shut down I could have simply hit UNDO... In this scenario the AUTO-SAVE cost me my project.  If there had been 100 auto-saves it still would have been the same outcome.  Not Good.  There should be a confirmation dialog box asking if you would like to recycle thru the auto-saves again once the total number of auto-saves has been reached for a given day.  I haven't looked to see if there are changeable settings for the auto-save function of the program but the default is definitely not a good setting....

Say it ain't true Jim....

Mark

• 17. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you drag an Asset over another, without the Ctrl modifier key depressed, you get an Insert Edit, where previous material is replaced by the new material. If the Title extended the full length of the Cut Clips, they were then history, as far as the Project is concerned.

Good luck, and I'd let go of the mouse, if my eyes were getting heavy.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                            Real4k Level 1

OMG Bill.  The title extended the exact length of my entire timeline.

---

I have now changed my AUTO-SAVE options to "Save Every 30 Minutes" & "Maximum Number of Saves = 50"

I'm slow at this so every 30 minutes or maybe an hour would be good.

I would still like the option of confirming a recycle of the AUTO-SAVE's

Someone pass this request up to the people that counts..

Mark

• 19. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The only way that I can think of, to archive the AutoSaves, would be to create a new folder, and from time to time, Copy all of the AutoSave files to it. One could possibly write a BAT file to do that at the OS level, but remember if you have, say the five AutoSave files in an archive folder, then you would need a second folder, or you would overwrite the existing AutoSave files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                                Real4k Level 1

Thanks so much for all the quick responses everyone you all are so knowledgeable in this field.

I have marked Message #13 in this thread as helpful.  I would like to mark is as answered by message #13 from Joe.  Can a mod please change my Helpful mark to Correct and give Joe the 10 points.

Again, thanks a million......

Mark

• 21. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Not sure that even with a MOD console, the points can be altered, one the poster has chosen the assignment. Besides, other than round-trip airline fares, dining at 3-star restaurants, and the "Mercedes for a month in Europe" program, those points do not count for anything.

I am sure that Joe is just happy to have helped you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                                    If there had been 100 auto-saves it still would have been the same outcome.  Not Good.

If you don't leave a project open with unsaved changes, it is not a problem.

Auto Save only executes when there are unsaved changes in an open project.

I would still like the option of confirming a recycle of the AUTO-SAVE's

Every couple of days go to your Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save folder, select all

and Ctl>Drag them to the same folder.  You will then have an "old" set of Auto Saves

with " - Copy" in the filename.  These will not be overwritten by any subsequent Auto Saves.

edit:

Bill Hunt:
                                                    I am sure that Joe is just happy to have helped you.

BTW... I'll take the extra 10 points.  It is my understanding that
                                                    in the Lounge it's 5 points for a beer, and 10 points for snake repellant.

• 23. Re: Preview FIles GONE please help me
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

BTW... I'll take the extra 10 points.  It is my understanding that in the Lounge it's 5 points for a beer, and 10 points for snake repellant.

That is the going rate, until Jeff allows the "beer speculators" jack the price up...

If you run out of points, just put the brews on my tab.

Hunt