16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 8:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere can't find source files for project

ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

I am fairly new to CS5 and have been working on a editing project lately.

I also added a new 1TB SATA drive to my PC as a backup drive. In order to add the new drive, I had to re-install my OS so I could utilize both drives in AHCI mode.

Well I was smart enough to back up all my source files for the project I was working on to my new drive; but when I re-installed CS5, it can't find the source files now.

I tried manually entering them in there, but then it locks up and goes unresponsive.

Nothing has changed, except the location of the files....so do I need to put the files on my C: drive to fix this, or what?

All help is appreciated as I am about to pull my hair, out because this is a national project I am working on.

• 1. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          I tried manually entering them in there, but then it locks up and goes unresponsive.

What do you mean by this?

All you should have to do is open up your project, and then use the dialog that appears to find the first file that is missing. Once that is relinked, Premiere should relink all or most of the files; if any are missing it will continue to ask until all are relinked.

• 2. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

When PP is loading, it should prompt you for the location of the source material it cannot find.  Provided that all the source material locations remain relative to each other, PP should find all the material.

Failing that, if you skip all when PP prompts you, in the Project Window you should see all the source material listed, but indicated by the Offline Media icon.  Right click on the icon (Multiple select all the icons) and re-link the media, directing PP to their new location.

Sometimes PP can take forever on its first re-link.  Be patient!

• 3. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
              ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

Well, I have been a bit impatient.

Regarding the relink of the files, I have tried that on a lot of them, and I get an error saying "File is either not supported or damaged". But that can't be the case as the source file is a .AVI file and it works-I have tested it and it plays.

On the offline media content, how exactly do I relink each piece of footage on the time line (step by step would be helpful).

• 4. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                the_wine_snob Level 9

A likely cause of the "Unsupported format... " is that you do not have a necessary CODEC now, that you did before. CODEC's are installed at the system level, and perhaps one/more did not make it over to the OS reinstall. If it's an Adobe CODEC, then a Repair Install of PrPro should add that/those to the system.

With MediaInfo, or G-Spot, what is the CODEC used in those files?

If you have updated CS5, it could also be that your full-paid copy has reverted to trial. Do you have all of the HD Project Presets and Export Presets? If they are gone, then you now have the trial, and much is not supported. Please report on those Presets, and someone will step you through fixing the Revert to Trial Bug.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                  ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

Meaning PP is asking for me to locat missing files, and I located them on the new drive, but I either get an error or PP locks up.

I have a very High-End PC running windows 7:

Intel i7 3.06 gHZ

12GB DDR3 RAM

2 1TB SATA HD's

Liquid Cooling on the CPU

Nvidia GTX 460 1GB Adobe hacked graphics

Tons of cooling fans

Gigabyet X58-UDR3 Rev 2.0 MB

• 6. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Regarding the relink of the files, I have tried that on a lot of them, and I get an error saying "File is either not supported or damaged". But that can't be the case as the source file is a .AVI file and it works-I have tested it and it plays.

OK, we need to solve that. What sort of AVI files are these? Where did they come from? What is the codec used (I suggest using MediaInfo to determine this)? Where have you "tested and played" them? In Premiere or with an external player? Did you have any codec packs previously installed/installed now? Does your New Sequence dialog have all presets like this:

newsequence.png

On the offline media content, how exactly do I relink each piece of footage on the time line (step by step would be helpful).

Select all the offline files and right-click on one of them, or right-click on a bin if they're in a bin, and select Link Media. Follow the dialog.

• 7. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                      ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

I will have to check on this later today.

I don't have the CS5 update, I just re-installed the program using the two installation disks I have, and the license.

• 8. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                        ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

These .AVI files are MTS footage that have been converted to

23.97 fps via NeoCene.

I don't care too much about the .AVI files as they were merely experimental, but I believe I do have one in my project.

I have played them via Windows Media

As far as codec packs? Not so sure on that one.

I will check the sequence dialog and see what's up with it.

• 9. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you check, do look for the HD Presets. If they are all there, then you have not been bitten by the Revert to Trial Bug. If they are gone, then you have, though it only seems to occur, when one HAS updated.

With the install of PrPro, after the rebuild, any Adobe CODEC's should have installed on the system, but if the necessary CODEC was not an Adobe one, then you will need to track down which one it is, download and install it. It could have gotten lost in the rebuild.

Colin and I are on the same path, and asking for the same info - the CODEC in those files. That will tell you what it is, and also if it is installed on your system.

Good luck, and let us know more,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                            ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

I appreciate the help gentlemen,

To help me identify where the problem may be, please refresh my memory on what the difference is between Adobe CODEC and non-Adobe CODEC.

Simply: How does a file become Adobe Codec? Is is through the import, rendering, frame conversion? I am pretty handy at figuring stuff out, but I need a bit more explanation on this one if you guys don't mind.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

These .AVI files are MTS footage that have been converted to

23.97 fps via NeoCene.

Well, you'll need Cineform installed in order to use those; you can use the Neo Player to decode them.

The MTS files not working would seem to indicate that you're running in trial mode; MPEG assets typically don't work, due to licensing restrictions, and would result in the error you're seeing. The New Sequence dialog is a dead giveaway of this, in that you'll have about half the preset categories.

• 12. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                                ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

I will check the new sequence presets in a couple hours (lunch break).

So under the implication of a bug, what then? How do you fix that?

• 13. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, if you're in trial mode, it's a pain:

1. Deactivate the software (Help > Deactivate)
                                  2. Uninstall.
                                  3. Download and use the Adobe CS5 Clean Tool
                                  4. Reboot and run the Clean Tool at least once more, and then reboot.
                                  5. Reinstall CS5; reboot.
                                  6. Launch something like Bridge, and go to Help > Updates, and install any updates.

That should get you back up to speed. If you have all the presets, we'll take a different tact.

• 14. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

When I referred to "Adobe CODEC," I was referring to those that ship/install with PrPro - usually from MainConcept, and identified in the Registry as Adobe-MainConcept. One can have many other CODEC's. Some install with an OS, while some come from other suppliers. With some versions of MS OS's now, all of the old MS CODEC's are no longer included. In that case, the user would go to the MS site, and get, say the Vista CODEC pack, to add the MS CODEC's that used to be installed with the OS, but are no longer included. On a side note: the ONLY CODEC "packs," that I would ever install would be the ones from the MS site. Never be tempted to install ANY other CODEC pack, or the computer might end up trashed. Stay very far away from ACE, K-Lite, or any other, non-MS CODEC packs!

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Colin mentioned CineForm CODEC's. I missed any previous reference to CineForm, but if you have used those CODEC's, it is likely that you will just need to re-install them. Sorry I did not see CineForm above, but it's still early in the desert...

• 15. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                                      ROTIDE MLIF Level 1

Okay, I didn't get a chance to update you guys as soon as I had hoped, but here it goes:

When prompted to locate the missing files, I did; it just wasn't as fast I had previously conceived.

As for the AVI files, I noticed that NeoScene wasn't installed properly after the OS re-install; the reason CS5 was locking up trying to locate the .AVI files.

I appreciate the help!

• 16. Re: Premiere can't find source files for project
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the reinstallation of NeoScene solved the issue, and thank you for updating the thread. Others will likely benefit in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt