17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 9:33 AM by screeningME

Changing Dimensions

screeningME Level 1

New to video editing...

I'm trying to change the dimensions of my sequence before exporting the media file. The sequence is set at 720x480 and I want it at 1280x720. How can this be done? Should this be done before or after exporting? I've tried various codecs but the dimension boxes are blacked out.

Using Premiere Pro 5 on a Mac

• 1. Re: Changing Dimensions
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, up-rezzing will likely not yield good results. The quality will degrade.

Still, you do not change the Sequence settings, but instead choose an Export Preset that allows you to use a larger Frame Size. Do not choose any of the DV Presets, as they will be limited to 720 x 480. That goes for AVI, or MOV. Just choose one that allows for the larger Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Changing Dimensions
            Colin Brougham Level 6
            I'm trying to change the dimensions of my sequence before exporting the media file. The sequence is set at 720x480 and I want it at 1280x720. How can this be done? Should this be done before or after exporting? I've tried various codecs but the dimension boxes are blacked out.

You can create a new sequence and copy and paste your edits from the first sequence into the second. But what is your source media? Is it DV or similar? Or is it HD? If all you want to do is scale up your 720x480 sequence to 1280x720, you can do that on export--not that I'd recommend it. The ability to do this is contigent on your codec choice, and what your delivery format is.

Can you fill in the blanks a bit more?

• 3. Re: Changing Dimensions
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For up-rezzing, I would explore Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD, which is a plug-in and X-platform. The output quality will be better, than making PrPro do the up-rezzing in AME. Whether it will be good enough, only you can tell. There is also a trial of Instant HD, and I would try with that (watermarks footage, IIRC), and decide if the quality is improved enough to buy it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Changing Dimensions
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The OP's source footage is DV (720 x 480), so up-rezzing will be required in some fashion.

Personally, I would look to Instant HD, rather than do this in AME, or via Scale.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Changing Dimensions
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You're talking with yourself there, Bill.  Time for a break.

• 6. Re: Changing Dimensions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

The Sun has just poked over the hill, here in the High Sonoran Desert, so it's too early for "wine-thirty... "

Actually, I was trying to talk with Colin, but rudely did not include a salutation.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Changing Dimensions
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that I see now what Jim is talking about. The OP's SEQUENCE is DV, but there is no indication of what the source footage is. If that is also DV, then my suggestions still apply. If the footage is not DV/SD, then all bets are off.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Changing Dimensions
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

That's what I'm talking about.

• 9. Re: Changing Dimensions
                          screeningME Level 1

Hi Colin - The source files are MTS which I converted to .mov which are sized at 1280x720. The problem must be how I setup the project/sequence which is smaller at 720x480 and I'm not sure how to correct that. Do I have to go back and start all over again? The final video file is just to be played on several iMacs at at tradeshow. The original idea was to have the video file play within a Powerpoint presentation, but the dumb program either crashes or clips the video well before its ending so I may have to play it on a loop from Quicktime.

Thanks,

Paul

• 10. Re: Changing Dimensions
                            screeningME Level 1

Hi Bill -- Thank you kindly for all your help. I appreciate it!

• 11. Re: Changing Dimensions
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Paul,

OK, that helps. So I'm guessing you resized all your clips to match the 720x480 sequence? If so, what scaling method did you use--Motion > Scale or the Scale to Frame Size command?

You shouldn't have to restart from scratch, but it may take a bit of tweaking to get it to where it should be.

• 12. Re: Changing Dimensions
                                screeningME Level 1

Hi Collin,

I actually didn't do any resizing within Premier whatsoever after converting to .mov format. I suppose the files were resized automatically to match the sequence settings though the sequence's aspect ratio is widescreen within Premiere it becomes 4:3 when exporting. Sorry...Am I making any sense?

Thanks again,

Paul

• 13. Re: Changing Dimensions
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I actually didn't do any resizing within Premier whatsoever after converting to .mov format. I suppose the files were resized automatically to match the sequence settings though the sequence's aspect ratio is widescreen within Premiere it becomes 4:3 when exporting. Sorry...Am I making any sense?

Sort of If you were able to see the entire video image when you dropped the 1280x720 clips into the 720x480 widescreen sequence, you probably have the preference set for default Scale to Frame Size; that's in Edit > Preferences > General. By the way, are you using the trial version? That's the only reason I could see you using MOVs when the MTS files would have worked correctly with the licensed version.

So make a new sequence at 1280x720--you can do this quickly by dragging one of your MOVs to the New Item icon at the bottom of the project panel. Once that's created, you can remove the clip from the sequence. Go to the original sequence, press Ctrl+A to select everything and then Ctrl+C to copy; go to the new sequence and paste with Ctrl+V. Everything should scale correctly to the sequence, and you can export to your desired format and size from that sequence.

Good so far?

• 14. Re: Changing Dimensions
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>source files are MTS

I'm in the Windows world, and MTS files are edited natively with no conversion

I don't know if the Mac version will do this... but, as a test... create a new project and drop the MTS file on the NEW ITEM icon to see if it works to create a correct setting

See the 2nd post for NEW ITEM pointer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770072?tstart=0

If you do need to convert MTS to some other codec for a Mac, be sure you convert to a HiDef codec and setting that matches the original

• 15. Re: Changing Dimensions
                                      screeningME Level 1

You're brilliant!! That worked perfectly and the quality is vastly improved too!

Can you recommend your preferred format and codec when I go to export keeping in mind that it will just be played on iMacs (then uploaded to the company's website later)?????

The default scale to frame size wasn't checked. No -- I'm using the full version...I was under the incorrect impression that I should be working with .mov files instead of MTS.

Thanks again!!!

• 16. Re: Changing Dimensions
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

I'd use H.264 as the Format; there should be a preset for 720p video that will give good output, and playback just fine from QuickTime and an iMac.

No need to convert the MTS files; Premiere handles those natively. In fact, depending on what codec you converted the MTS files to, you might get even better results replacing the MOVs with the original MTS files. But if you're happy with what you've got now, I wouldn't sweat it. But, you know for next time...

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Changing Dimensions
                                          screeningME Level 1

Yup...now I know for next time!

Thanks again and have a great weekend