17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 9:30 AM by NoStatic_1

Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge

NoStatic_1

The strangest thing has happened recently. Where I used to be able to open a JPEG file in Camera Raw 6.3 when viewing in Bridge (CS5) it now defaults to opening them only in Photoshop (CS5). My preferred processing workflow is: Adobe Bridge > Camera Raw > Photoshop. But now the middle step processing in ACR is no longer happening automatically (I can do it manually but that's a hassle). I triple checked all my preferences and they are still set up to open JPEGs in ACR as the default. I use a Nikon D700 & D7000 and the NEF (RAW) files open fine in ACR, but not the JPEGs. I am using the Mac versions.

Has something changed with how Adobe is supporting JPEGs in ACR or am I missing something.

• 1. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From what you describe it sounds like PS is not seeing the JPG open preference you have set.  Perhaps the settings file is corrupted.  Have you tried resetting your PS preferences? 

On a PC I'd do this by pressing and holding Ctrl-Alt-Shift as Photoshop starts up until it asks me to delete the settings file.  On a Mac one of those three keys is different but otherwise the reset process works the same way.

Otherwise, if you open a JPEG from Photoshop, itself, does it bring up ACR or not?  This would help narrow down if it is a PS issue or a Bridge issue.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
            Noel Carboni Level 7

Michael Spanel wrote:

I triple checked all my preferences and they are still set up to open JPEGs in ACR as the default.

I don't doubt you checked, but just to be safe (since it seems not to be working), please list exactly what preferences you have set for this.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
              NoStatic_1 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I deleted the preferences in both PS and Bridge but it didn't correct the problem.

Here's an interesting new wrinkle in things. I tried opening up a series of JPEGS all taken within minutes of each other: Some opened in ACR, some in PS only. I looked at the EXIF info and couldn't see much difference between the various images. So why would some open in ACR and some in PS? Makes no sense.

• 4. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge

Do you agree that one of the choices in the PS JPG-ACR preference is to open JPGs in ACR only if they've already been opened in ACR (or LR) and so have Metadata in them, but to bypass ACR if this is their first time?  That's what sounds like is happening, and so far you've not specified the verbiage of the setting you're using, and only insisted you're doing it right.

• 5. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                  NoStatic_0

I'm not intentionally withholding my preferences settings. They are set to to "Automatically open all supported JPEGs." (Using the other setting, "Automatically open all JPEGs with settings" made no difference.

I looked through all the preference settings and couldn't find anything that referenced "open JPGs in ACR only if they've already been opened in ACR" as you stated. Where is that listed? Is it in PS, ACR or Bridge?

• 6. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                    RASouthworth Level 3

Bridge > Edit > Camera Raw Preferences, at bottom.

• 7. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                      NoStatic_0 Level 1

That's not listed in my version of Bridge CS5. Only thing at the bottom of Edit is Creative Suite settings, and there's no option for Camera Raw there.

• 8. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Let's try it this way:

1.  Open Photoshop.

2.  Choose Edit - Preferences - Camera Raw...

3.  Please verify that this is exactly what you see there:

AutomaticallyOpenSupportedJPEGs.jpg

4.  Please verify that you don't have this menu entry:

Bridge_PSCS5.jpg

-Noel

• 9. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Stoopid forum software won't let me post the second picture for some reason.

Here's another try.

Bridge_PSCS5.jpg

-Noel

• 10. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                            Level 4

Noel Carboni wrote:

Let's try it this way:

1.  Open Photoshop.

2.  Choose Edit - Preferences - Camera Raw...

Noel,

The OP is on a Mac.  In the Mac version, Preferences are not under the Edit menu but under the Adobe Bridge menu.

I don't have CS5, but this is what it looks like in CS4:

Bridge_CS4_prefs.jpg    

ACR_57_Prefs.jpg

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 11. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                              Noel Carboni Level 7

Ah, thanks for that.  It helps clear up some of the mystery.

I spend so much time in the Photoshop Windows forum that I tend to forget that users of both systems come here.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                                NoStatic_0 Level 1

Yes, that's what it looks like on a Mac in Bridge. And yes, as previously stated, "Automatically open all JPEGs with setting" is what is the chosen preference. This applies to both the Camera Raw settings in PS and Bridge.

• 13. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Have you purged the cache for that folder? When you right click (control click for Mac) on the JPEG, do you see the menu item Open in Camera Raw as an option? Does the JPEG have an embedded profile?

• 14. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                                    NoStatic_0 Level 1

Yep, purged the cache. I can manually open the JPEG using the Opt + Ctr shortcut. Not sure what makes the JPEG embedded vs. unembedded. What type of info should I be looking for? As I said previously, the JPEGs I was looking at all came from the same camera with the same settings and were taken seconds apart, so the embedded info should be exactly the same (other than different exposures, ISO or shutter speeds).

• 15. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge

If you have one of the JPGs that does not open in ACR that you feel comfortable letting the rest of us see, upload it to somewhere and post a link.  If you don't have your own file-sharing website, you can use something like www.YouSendIt.com sending yourself the download link, and post the link, here.  If it works for others then something is wrong with your setup.  If it doesn't work for others, either, then something is wrong with the JPG.

• 16. Re: Cannot open JPEGs in ACR via Bridge
                                        NikonDavid

This is a workaround rather than a cure............................. for cs5 users............

If you are unable to open .jpg files in adobe Camera RAW from Bridge and the Preferences have been set correctly in Photoshop Preferences, and all avenues have been exhausted or you are getting the error message in Bridge when you right click, or  ctrl + r, or go to the ‘Open in Camera RAW’ button at the top of Bridge  and also Getting the error message :

Camera Raw Editing Is not Enabled, Camera Raw Editing Requires that a Qualifying Product has been Launched at least once to Enable this Feature’

And Bridge does open up RAW files OK

Try this

1.        In bridge, hit the ctrl + Alt key together and double click the .JPG image, this should open in Camera RAW (but only the one image clicked, not multiple files.

or

2.    Open Photoshop

Go to File.....

Browse in MIniBridge.........

Browse for folder containing images..............

Find image, right click and open in camera RAW

(if you wish to open multiple files,  when a number of images have been selected,  the Camera Raw menu disappears when you right click), however, hold down the Alt + Crtl key together (Windows) and double click any of the highlighted images, they will all open in Camera RAW as they should do.