13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 12:31 AM by Promecut

Director broken in Windows 7?

myke_mla

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with Director 11.5 on Windows 7.

I have tried an installation on two separate machines now - both the latest update of Windows 7 - both have the same issues.

It's really broken:

• Can't drag cast members
      • Can't add anything to the stage
      • Can't move sprites in the timeline
      • Can't drag objects around on stage
      • ...and so on...

I've searched high & low, but can't find anyone with the same problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
          Petro O. Bochan

Hello, I had this issue before as well. Was really surprised with this behaviour. I think this is due to Win7 SP1. Can't offer a solution since I reinstalled the OS and then it worked.

• 2. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
            jchunick Level 2

I've experienced the same issue, but didn't have to reinstall the OS. It had been logged as a bug by myself, but it was too intermittent for the dev team to identify the problem and fix. I have not had this problem for a long time and am currently running the latest update.

• 3. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
              myke_mla Level 1

This is really frustrating. I've installed it on a fresh installation of Windows 7 & am still experiencing the same problem.

I've just updated the Director trial with the 11.5 hotfix 2 and it's still broken.

Perhaps this is part of Adobe's roadmap?

• 4. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                Mike Blaustein Level 4

Have you added any 3rd party xtras to Director?  Particularly any pre-D11 xtras?  That could potentially cause this.  I experienced this problem once before, a long time ago, and I don't remember what fixed it... I think it was just rebooting.

• 5. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                  CAnuszczyk

FYI - I've been using Windows 7 Home Edition for quite some time on a daily basis.  No problems of note..

• 6. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                    myke_mla Level 1

No custom xtras - or xtras of any kind. It's an absolutely fresh install of Windows 7 Professional, and an absolutely fresh install of Director 11.5 trial (straight from Adobe's website). The error occurred both before and after updating Director.

I've tried running Director with and without admin rights, with XP compatibility, with windows graphic styles turned off etc...

Nothing I can think of solves the problem

• 7. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                      CAnuszczyk Level 1

Pain is felt and most are empathetic here.

Have you tried creating a new movie?  I noticed when I installed it on Windows 7 Home that it appears to start with a new movie, but in fact it does not.  Try File - New Movie.  Then save it.  Then try adding new stuffs.

~maybe~

I did notice this that when I opened up Director for the first time, just exiting caused the infamous "fatal error".  I had to actually create a new movie, save it, and then exit.  This was the only time without error.

Carl

• 8. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                        myke_mla Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion - sadly it didn't help.

Looks like I'll have to find another piece of software to do the job. Bit of a shame after 12 years of using Director.

• 9. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Try (backing up then) deleting the registry entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Director

• 10. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                            myke_mla Level 1

Thanks Sean - no luck unfortunately.

I'm surprised I couldn't find anyone else experiencing the same problem - although maybe it is a conflict with a recent Win7 update

• 11. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

I'm surprised I couldn't find anyone else experiencing the same problem - although maybe it is a conflict with a recent Win7 update

Unlikely - I recently installed Win7 Ultimate then the SP1 update before installing D11.5 (which works as expected)

• 12. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                                CAnuszczyk Level 1

Do you have anti-virus software running?  Mine just "updated it's modules" and then Director stopped working until I rebooted.

Possible?

• 13. Re: Director broken in Windows 7?
                                  Promecut

I also have a similar problem.
                                  configuration: MacBookPro 17 "window7 ultimate sp1 (with bootcamp).
                                  the computer starts up window.
                                  I installed 'director 11.5' and I can not use it.
                                  All diretcor windows (the cast, movie, code libraries, property inspector) when you place all the middle and is able to remove or move it.
                                  See examples:
                                  http://www.promecut.it/sharetemp/director_01.jpg
                                  http://www.promecut.it/sharetemp/director_02.jpg

can anyone help?

More hardware info:

ram 8GB
                                  DirectX 11
                                  NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, Integrated RAMDAC, Approssim. ram 4079 MB
                                  1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)

DirectDraw, Direct3D, AGP : Active.
                                  Driver 8.17.11.9716 date 03/17/2010 , WHQL: yes, DDI: 10, drive model :WDDM 1.1

processor : Intel Core Duo T9900 3,06 Ghz
                                  Window 7 ultimate 64bit (6.1, build 7601)
                                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  hi, I discovered this additional anomaly.
                                  This week I downloaded the latest updates for Windows 7 64bit.
                                  I restarted the PC. I started the program and it worked.
                                  There is one problem though: was only the laptop's screen (1920x1200) but my workstation is not this one.
                                  I have a Matrox TripleHead2Go DP Edition with 2 hp ZR24x screens (24 ") for a final resolution of 3840x1200.
                                  The monitor (and cover) of the laptop is closed.
                                  The program has the same problems I describe above images to which they refer.
                                  The same configuration is also when I use Mac Lion, however, the program works.

so in summary with MacBook Pro I installed the trial program :
                                  Mac Lion:
                                  only notebook screen 17"  is ok
                                  with matrox with 2 screens 24" more its notebook screen 17" is ok.

Window 7 64 bit:
                                  only notebook screen 17" is ok.
                                  with matrox with only 2 screens 24" the program not work correctly, is KO.... but i work with this!!!
                                  (only 2 screens 24" because  no configuration otherwise support 1920x1200 each screen)