1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 11:55 AM by Noel Carboni

merge CR database files

SteveSanf

I upgraded to a new computer and installed CS5 on it. Unfortunately, it seems to have lost all the metadata for all the camera raw images archived on my external HD. Is there some way to merge the CR database from my old computer with the new one? I'm talking about the database file in AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

• 1. Re: merge CR database files
          Noel Carboni Level 7

I know of no way to do this when the central database is used.  This is why they provide the capability to use "Sidecar XMP" files, because they are separate files and are stored with the images.

You CAN copy the ENTIRE central database over to the new machine.  I've done that.  But that makes more sense when you think about it right after changing to the new machine.  This involves copying/replacing the entire contents of the following folder (this is the default; it's settable in the prefs):

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Adobe\CameraRaw\Cache

Note that some of the subfolders listed in the above path are normally hidden.

Oh, and if you ARE using the central database (my preference as well), remember to allow more than 1 GB of storage (the default) in the Camera Raw preferences.

-Noel