10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2011 1:11 PM by JEShort01

Video card differences/opinions

Derek Snyder Level 1

I'm building a video editting system and am trying to decide on video card. Would appreciate any advice/thoughts on the following. I was hoping to keep it in the $200-300 range. Here are 4 that I'm looking at:

HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support  $184

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support  $229 ($259)

MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support $179 ($209)

EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI - $339

I'm not experienced enough to see much difference or know what I need.

Here is the rest of thew build:

Intel Core i7-960

12gigs gskill ripjaw ram

ASUS Sabertooth X58 Mainboard

C: (O/S & Programs) WD VelociRaptor 150GB  or Intel SSD 120GB

D: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA

E: (Editing Drive) WD Cavier Black 1TB

F: (Pagefile/Scratch/Render) WD Cavier Black 1TB

Thanks for any advice!

Derek

• 1. Re: Video card differences/opinions
          RjL190365 Level 4

Derek,

For Premiere CS5, skip any of the AMD or ATi GPUs (this means no Radeons with CS5): CS5's MPE GPU mode does not support any of the AMD or ATi GPUs at all. Instead, MPE will run in software-only mode, which is slower and of lower quality than MPE GPU mode. Stick with the three GeForce GPUs - but make sure that you apply the cuda_supported_cards.txt tweak. Otherwise, MPE will default to software-only mode which the three cards in question.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video card differences/opinions
            Derek Snyder Level 1

Thank you!

I do remember seeing that in a forum before but hadn't processed the info. No Radeons w/CS5.

As for the other choices, any other thoughts? Thay all seem equally  highly rated by users at Newegg but those are often gamer reviews or 'normal' users, rather than someone looking for video editing and graphic design use.

I see that the GeForce  GTX480 has more onboard memory (1536MB vs 1GB) but don't know if that will mean anything to me. It's roughly $100 more and I'd like to save $$ if I won't notice much of a difference. I'm assuming that my processor & RAM & hard drive config is going to be the most noticable upgrade from my current rig. High Def editing isn't working out too well on my current setup.

• 3. Re: Video card differences/opinions
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My choice would be the 460

Be sure your power supply is enough for everything

Power supply calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp (the PRO version)
              Or http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tpk=power%20supply%20calculator

• 4. Re: Video card differences/opinions
                Derek Snyder Level 1

Thanks John,

After reading newegg reviews it seems that EVGA support (if problems arise) is much better than MSI's, so I was going to go with :

EVGA 01G-P3-1467-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi)

A weekend special would knock it down to $199 plus a $30 rebate. Seemed helpful.

I can't beleive how many similar cards there are on the market. Makes things quite confussing I find. Any reason to go with a GTX460 over the 465 i linked to?

Thanks for the thoughts!

• 5. Re: Video card differences/opinions
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Derek,

Here is why I do not recommend the GTX 465 over the GTX 460:

1) The GTX 465 uses more power from the power supply than the GTX 460. In fact, the GTX 465 draws nearly as much power as the GTX 470.

2) With only 352 active cores and a 256-bit memory bandwidth, the GTX 465 is nowhere near that much more powerful than the 336-core/256-bit 1GB non-SE GTX 460 (performance-wise), especially for such a significant increase of a power drain from the PSU.

• 6. Re: Video card differences/opinions
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Derek, do you really think that 40 watts more is significant?  I would only consider that significant if it meant replacing the power supply.  Apparently the GTX 470 is no longer available.

• 7. Re: Video card differences/opinions
                      JEShort01 Level 4

Derek,

I have both GTX 480 and GTX 460 Hawk (not a standard nVidia reference design) and would give a big vote for the MSI GTX 460 Talon (Hawk's improved big brother) for a CS5 build. It idles at a measly 15 watts (per techpowerup.com review).

Why, low power consumption, quiet, and runs CS5 very well. I do suggest downloading the latest MSI Afterburner and setting the Talon clock to 850MHz and leave voltage settings alone (max. speed setting, it will run most of the time slowly until you ask it to do some work).

Jim

• 8. Re: Video card differences/opinions
                        Derek Snyder Level 1

Thanks everyone for your imput! I ended up ordering the MSI GTX 460 Talon from Newegg. Was about to get a GTX 460 made by EVGA but everyone commented on their loudness and hotness (even thought they loved the card). The Talon owners never complained on excessive fan noise and seemed to love the card as much as EVGA peeps. Hopefully the card will run smoothly and I won't have to deal with MSI customer support, who seem to be be considered less than good.

Jim, note taken regarding "downloading the latest MSI Afterburner and setting the Talon clock to 850MHz and leave voltage settings alone".

Looking forward to the build and editing. BTW, I have a Rosewill 1000W PSU coming, so that should be adaquate for my needs.

Thanks again!

Derek

• 9. Re: Video card differences/opinions
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

A 40-watt increase from the GTX 465 is pretty significant compared to what little performance improvement (if any) it delivers over the 460. In other words, the 465 delivers a poorer performance-to-wattage ratio than the 460.

Randall

• 10. Re: Video card differences/opinions
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Derek,

Since you are going with the Talon for sure, I looked and found my test records regarding memory clock speed. In my previous reply, I only reported on GPU clock speed and voltages, since that's all I could remember.

I can say with certainty now that the GTX 460 Hawk testing was done using the stock memory clock setting (900/1800MHz). I was able to record a 5 second PPBM5 MPE render time using the the lowly i7-860 P55 (1156 board) CPU, so I have never really pushed for more from the Hawk. I read somewhere that it could run 850 on stock voltages, set mine there, got great results, never ever had any crashes/funny pixels/issues at all, and was getting a good PPBM5 score - so why fix what does not seem to be broken!

Gamers report huge and meaningful differences in varied GPUs, clock speeds, SLI, and more, however, it seems with CS5 that once you reach a certain level - and I think that a 1MB GTX 460 running at 850MHz can reach that level - then additional gains do not seem to matter much; note I am basing this purely on my own editing and PPBM5 test runs using a 1MB GTX 460 Hawk (850MHz) and watercooled and overclocked GTX 480 (also currently at 850MHz).

There is one exception to note and that is video memory size. Searching through this forum one can find a method to calculate the video card memory size required to handle large photographs on the timeline; along these same lines, some users here have suggested the 2MB version of the GTX 460.

Jim

PS - Who knows if CS5.5 will be able to tax the GPU in new or different ways that would change the game; the press releases do seem to hype improved MPE capabilities