10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2011 6:14 AM by KerryMDW

Missing camera profiles

KerryMDW

When I am in Raw ver. 6.3.0.79 and go into Camera Calibration, I only get the generic Canon choices under Camera Profile. How do I get the profile for my Canon 50d in there?

• 1. Re: Missing camera profiles
          Hudechrome Level 2

I'm not sure this is the recommended procedure, but I had the same problem in CS3 and CS5. As I recall CS5, I moved the ACR file to the desktop, made sure no other ACR file remained, then reinstalled from the d/l. It worked fine so I deleted it from the desktop.

• 2. Re: Missing camera profiles
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do you mean by "generic Canon choices"?  Do you mean you are missing the "Adobe Standard" profile?

ACR and LR only show profiles relevant to the camera model's RAW that is loaded so their display names don't include the camera model because it would be the same for all of them and just take up extra space.

You should see 6 profiles, all of which will be for your camera:

Adobe Standard,

Camera Faithful,

Camera Landscape,

Camera Neutral,

Camera Portrait,

Camera Standard

The .dcp file names do contain the camera model and profile name.  If you're on a PC, you can check for them by looking for:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard\*EOS?50D*

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Canon EOS 50D\*.*

• 3. Re: Missing camera profiles
              Hudechrome Level 2

I assume that's what he meant. I had a similar problem twice, as I stated. But I may have it wrong.

• 4. Re: Missing camera profiles
                Noel Carboni Level 7

I hate to ask the obvious question, but are you opening a Canon 50D RAW file when you're looking for the profile?

The profile only has meaning for actual raw files, not JPEGs.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Missing camera profiles
                  KerryMDW Level 1

Yes, I am opening a raw file, that was one of the first things I went back and rechecked.

Yes, I see those 6 generic profiles.

I was watching a Kelby training video with Jim DiVitale, and when he went into that profile area, he had choice for his specific camera, i.e., the Canon 50d. Is that possibly something that I have to create myself? I assumed it should be a choice for me, since when I go into Library>Application support>Adobe>Camera Raw>Camera profiles, there are tons of profiles under both Adobe Standard and Camera. I just can't seem to find them where I actually need them...

• 6. Re: Missing camera profiles

The situation you describe is normal.  As stated, earlier, the Adobe-supplied profiles will not have the camera-name in them when listed in ACR and LR, because they are all for your camera.

You can create your own profiles using Adobe Lab's DNG Profile Converter and an X-Rite Color Checker or the X-Rite Color Checker Passport which combines a Color Checker and software.  When you create your own profiles you can name them whatever you like.  You could also decompile the Adobe profiles with something like dcpTool and insert your own name in those copies.

• 8. Re: Missing camera profiles
                      TPIXS

Can LR also represent the User Defined Picture Syles?

Canon 7D

user def 1

user def 2

user def 3

• 9. Re: Missing camera profiles

LR does not know specific things from your camera.  It only knows the profiles Adobe made for it and supplied with Lightroom (and/or Camera RAW).  The Camera-specific profiles are just approximate simulations of what the camera does for its own JPGs based on Adobe's research but are only approximate because Adobe's RAW engine is not the same as Canon's.

• 10. Re: Missing camera profiles
                          KerryMDW Level 1

Interestingly enough, I already had the X-Rite Color Checker Passport on order. It came in, I set up a custom white balance, and viola!, there was the camera profile I thought I should have had. 

Thanks!