11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 11:19 AM by ~graffiti

File damaged only when emailing it.

debra mich

Hello,

I have a fill-in file that I use to bill for jobs that I received from my company.  I am able to print it and open it after saving it on my computer.  However, if I email it to anyone, the receiver of the email gets an error message that says:  There was an error opening this document.  This file is damaged and cannot be repaired.  I upgraded my computer.  It is still an XP, but newer.  I never had this problem on my old computer, which was XP, also.  Is there something I need to change in my settings somewhere so that the file can be emailed without getting corrupted or damaged?

Thank you all in advance for any help and suggestions

debra mich

• 1. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
          Stix Hart Level 5

Try turning your firewall and/or anti-virus off before emailing it, turn it back on again afterwards of course.  Sometimes the scanning can damage a document, I've had it happen with the CA security suite.

• 2. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
            debra mich Level 1

OMG, you are fantastic.  I spent countless hours trying to figure this out.  I just found out about this forum today.  In less than fifteen minutes I got my answer.  You were right on the money.  I also downloaded CA Security on my computer and I'm sure that's when I started having this problem.  I checked "Correct Answer".  You should get extra points not only because you were correct, but your speed in answering was unbelievable.

Thank you so much.

debra mich

• 3. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

If you are so grateful, you can give him all the remaining points as well...

Anothert useful bit of advise: it is even safer if you compress (zip) your PDFs before emailing them. Many of them do not seem to like travelling through the Internet, and compression seems to protect them...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                debra mich Level 1

Oh, I spoke too soon.  The file I tried this on was a file that did not have this problem.   Do you think I should have my company re-email the original file to me and that I open it up without the CA firewall?  After trying a couple more times to save and email various files, I am still getting error messages.  Maybe the original file is damaged in some way, too.

I'm still impressed with the speed and am thankful you took the time to respond to try to help me.

• 5. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                  debra mich Level 1

Not only am I not techno savvy, I am not forum savvy.  What are "extra" points?

• 6. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                    debra mich Level 1

I'll try compressing them -- once I figure out how to do so.

Maybe that will solve my problem.

Thank you for your time and quickness in responding to my post.  I'll try your suggestion.

• 7. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                      Stix Hart Level 5

It was just a fluke that I saw your problem and have had the same problem myself.  In my experience zipping the files didn't help though.  What I found was that you have to have the firewall off before you send or recieve PDF files (or eps but you aren't likely to come across those unless you're a graphic designer)  and that sometimes if you recieve a file you might be able to open it up but after you email it it will get corrupted then.

All this nonsense stopped once I stopped using CA, it seemed to be only the firewall that caused it.

• 8. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                        Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Stix Hart wrote:

In my experience zipping the files didn't help though.

I am surprised. Zipping PDFs before emailing them has been a standard suggestion for many years, and it seems to work for most people. And I am not questioning your other suggestions at all...

• 9. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Generally speaking, it's not your firewall that causes this, it's either yours or the receivers email providor that is using encoding for file transfers. The decoding process breaks the PDF.

• 10. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                            useridj

Dear Mr. Graffiti,

Apparently this "corruption/decoding" of emails has been a problem for some time and Adobe has chosen not to find a repair - says something about Adobe's concern about customer satisfaction.  I just spent the last two (2) hours on the phone listening to someone from India tell me he couldn't help me because I couldn't find a damn serial number for my Adobe Acrobat.  Anyway, I scanned in years of legal and medical documents and emailed several of them (even the courts today are filing everything by email).  The files are corrupted and because we are going paperless, we no longer have the hard copies.  Is there any way to open these "corrupted" files.  If not, I just lost my job of ten years.

• 11. Re: File damaged only when emailing it.
                              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

useridj

Did you try any of the suggstions above and if so, what were the results. 99.9% of the time, one or more of those suggestions work.