23 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 5:43 PM by kjm33

Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently

kjm33

I am using PE9 on only my second project.  It is PAL HDV 1080i 25fps with footage captured from a Canon HV30. I am running on Windows 7.

My project is currently 50 minutes long and has a large number of stills. I am finding it crashes frequently, especially when I try to add a new title above a still. I own and have read the Muvipix Guide to PS9 and PE9 and am aware about not making images too large.  In his book Steve states that for HD video slideshows the optimal photo size is 2200x1235 - mine are in fact 2048x1536.  Should I be making them smaller?  If I resize them to 1024x768  would it help?  I am at this stage going to be producing a DVD and will lose the high def anyway, but later down the track (if I get a Blu-Ray burner) I may want to produce a Blu-Ray disc - with the smaller image size wouldn't I lose some quality?

I am really frustrated with the constant crashing and the need to save my project after every small change.  I previously used Ulead Media Studio Pro which has been unsupported for nearly 5 years, and was a nightmare with crashing.  At first I was really happy with PE9 but now I'm beginning to think there is no video editor that runs smoothly.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
          Ted Smith Level 3

Your post is probably the mose frequent reported subject.

In  every case it is a combination of the hardware in your computer and the  extent to which you are pushing it by naking complicated edits.

All video editors use computer resources to the limit and if these are exceeded you get either a warning or a crash.

I recently made an  hour long 25f 1900x1080 Blueray with lots of effects but when I added 20 stills at the head of it I got the notice "running out of resources, please save your project".

I had exceeded my systems capability.

After saving, closing PE9 then reopening the project and I was able to continue. This is normal because I only have an old dual core computer with 3mb RAM.

However your computer should not crash without warning. If you do there is a problem with your computer for sure.

Different brands of video cards and if they have their own memory or share system mremory can cause problems if they dont have the latest drivers.

Even if your computer is not brand new it may not have the latest drivers installed for the various devices in it.

Read some of the other posts going back a few months and you will most probably find the answer.

It would be helpful if you would tell us the exact setup of your computer and your project settings.

I find the optimum pixels to choose for stills are the same as the pixels you are going to have in your final product. in my case I used 1900x1080. otherwise PE is having to do an unnecessary conversion.

For a PAL DVD this is 720 x 576. making any bigger will not make the pictures any sharper on the final DVD and if you make them say 40% bigger the DVD will be worse because PE9 will be trying to make each pixel out of 1.4 pixels giving jagged diagonal lines and blurring to cover ujp the 'jaggedness'.

Changing a picture size takes a lot of resources just for one frame and  10 seconds of a still showing means this is being duplicated 250 times.

The best stills of all are ones originally taken with a good quality camera in the exact same resolution as the final product.(providing the camera has a lens of good enough quality to produce a good high resolution picture)

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
            kjm33 Level 1

My PC is only 6 months old.  It is a Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93 GHz, 4 gb RAM,  32-bit Windows 7.  It should have heaps of power. My source files are on a physically different drive to the PE software. It's not the PC that is crashing - it's PE9.  I get a white sceen telling me it's not responding and if I choose to wait it normally does not come good and I have to close it.  Sometimes it tells me it's running low on resources, but usually it just freezes without that warning.

Although I am going to burn a DVD, PE does not know that while I am editing.  My settings are as stated in the previous post - PAL HDV 1080i 25 fps.  If I look in Project settings it says the video frame size is 1440 x 1080, but because it is widescreen the images would need to be 1920x1080.  I can't size my photos to that exactly because they are not widescreen.  So I can make only one dimension match - which one?  I presume the height.

Would it help to render the timeline every now and then as I go along editing and adding new stills?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
              nealeh Level 5

You should first work through the tips here: PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

You should resize those stills to 720x480 for NTSC (720x576 for PAL) before bringing them into PRE. If you want to do pan and scan then no more than 1000x750.

These are the standard resolutions for DVD video. It doesn't matter how high a resolution the originals are, when you burn a DVD they will be down-rezzed to 720x(480 or 576) and PRE does not do this well. On the other hand Photoshop Elements does this down-rezzing very well.

More details here:What resolution should my photos be in Premiere Elements?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With stills, every extra pixel, that must be pushed around, will add to the overhead. Multiply those extra pixels, by a large number of stills, and resources can be eaten up quickly.

With an HD Project, unless one needs to do Pans on fully Zoomed out images, there is no reason to include more pixels, than will actually be needed. Yours are not THAT large, and fall within the bounds that PrE can Import, however, with many stills, there is still a lot of overhead. I Scale to the exact Frame Size for my Project, unless I do need that Pan. Then, I will Scale those to just what I need. Were I doing an HD Project, I would Scale to exactly 1920 x 1080, with a possible exception here, or there.

Neale has linked to the "PrE Crashing or Hanging" Article. In it, there are some more links. I would first look over the main article, just to make sure that nothing has been missed there. Then, I would go to "Clean, Lean, Mean... " and take a look at it. Be especially aware that anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-popup software, especially if any does active, real time scanning, can bring a system to its knees. Down that article a bit, there is a link to Black Viper's Win7 Tune Up Tips. Though it concentrates on Win7 - 64, there are useful tips for Win7 - 32.

Check out the "Page File" link, and, if necessary, modify the management of your Page File. With a 32-bit OS and 4GB RAM, I would look into doing a statically managed, 8GB Page File.

All of those tips can help get maximum performance from one's computer. If the program is still crashing, see the link to "Finding Clues... " and spend some time with the Event Viewer. There should be a lot of warning and error messages, and it could well be that some will have useful links. Do not become frustrated, if the first few that you read have nothing but cryptic code. When one has a link, follow that completely.

Though it is mentioned in the articles above, lack of defragmented, free space on the HDD's can cause crashes, and without warning.

Good luck, and report back.

Hunt

PS - though it's apples vs oranges, I have a mega-Project on my XP-Pro workstation, with 4GB RAM. It is, by todays standards, underpowered, with dual Intel Quad-Core CPU's. I have well over 2000 stills, 100's MOV (Animation CODEC), 100's of DV-AVI's, about 300 Titles, and up to 8 Video Tracks w/ 12 Audio Tracks. This PrPro 2.0 SD Project is stored on a FW-800 external, and edits smoothly, with no crashes. Now, that workstation is tuned to the max, so that I am getting all from it, that I can. Remember, there are differences: SD (720 x 480) and not HD, PrPro 2.0 not PrE, but the size of the Project should give you an idea of what one can do. You have a much newer, faster system, with a more efficient OS, a later version of Premiere, even if we're talking Pro vs Elements.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                  kjm33 Level 1

I have read all of the recommended links.  I have resized all images to 1080 high to match the project settings - I may want to produce a HD web video so don't want to go smaller.  I have created a 8gb static page file on drive C, but none on drive D yet.  My C and D drives are each 1 terabyte, 0% defragmented. PE9 is installed on drive C, all source clips and stills and the project files are on drive D.   Should I also be creating a page file on drive D?  I have checked the appropriate options in the desktop shortcut and also start PE9 via the shortcut. I am not running an other programs at the same time and have snoozed the anti-virus software.

Things are a little better but not a lot.  Frequently PE just freezes, and then I get the dreaded white screen asking me if I want to close or wait.  Waiting does not help and eventually I have to close.  The problem seems to occur when I am doing something with titles, but not always.  My titles are incredibly simple  - a single line of text with no motion. I use Fade In/Out on the clip to fade the title in and out. Sometimes PE warns me that it is getting low on memory - experience tells me I must save, exit and re-start.

I am finding the whole editing experience stressful now as I never know when PE is going to freeze.  I am saving my project every couple of minutes manually and every 10 minutes automatically.  My PC is new and high-powered with heaps of free disc space.  Surely someone else is having this problem with HD projects.  Any other ideas?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With an HD Project, you do not want to Scale below that Frame Size. Yes, many stills can tax Resources, but you never want to Scale up, unless you cannot help it.

As for the "white screen," did you list the video card that you have? An out of date driver can cause that, or very similar.

Also, did you give details of your Windows Virtual Memory setup? Often, with a dynamically managed Page File, one can hit bottlenecks with the OS, as it tries to resize the Page File. This ARTICLE might be helpful, if that is an issue.

Often, one will get a Resources error message, though not always.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                      kjm33 Level 1

I have an NVidia GEForce 210 video card.  Windows says the driver is up to date, but I downloaded the latest anyway and installed it - it is dated 7/4/2010.In the Sound section of device manager I disabled the 4 NVidia options, leaving only the Realtek card.  I've also tried running in Windows XP comptibility mode.  Nothing helps - in fact things are getting worse.  At this stage I need to just tidy up a few things, add a bit of narration and a few more titles.  PE is now crashing practically every time I do anything e.g. it was stuck showing one particular clip on the monitor (even though the CTI was elsewhere) - that clip was one I found I could NOT fade out - it just wouldn't do it.  I did it by manally adding key frames. I got past that, and now I have added a new title clip a bit further along, but if I try to edit the text (it was duplicated from another one) PE crashes.  I am at my wits end - it looks to me as though 2 weeks of work is about to go down the drain.

I have tried all your suggestions to no avail.  Is there anything else I can try?  The white screens just keep happening.

I have allocated an 8gb STATIC page file on bothC drive, and on D drive.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

First, Windows will usually be six months to a year wrong, when asking it about video drivers. I've seen it tell a user that a 2007 driver was up to date, when there were several 2011 drivers on the nVidia site. One should always go to the source and never trust Windows. Also, if one picked up a pre-built computer today, it would likely have drivers from at least six months ago.

OK, not to the crashes/hangs. In Neale's link, there is another link (well, actually several, but this is the to start with) to "Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine." If you have not looked over that linked article, please do so. There are a lot of tuneup tips in it. Down that article, there is a link to Black Viper's Win7-64 Tune Up Tips. I suggest giving that a good read too, even though you have Win7-32.

If nothing above is working, then take a look at this ARTICLE on finding clues as to what is happening, when the program crashes/hangs. Be patient here, and check every warning, or error message in both the System and Applications tabs. Follow any/all links in any of those messages. One might see a lot of cryptic code, but what they are looking for is a useful link with readable text in it. Sometimes, one gets to an MS screen, that will talk about a driver issue. That will be a very useful clue, but unfortunately, finding out WHICH driver is the culprit, is very difficult. This ARTICLE links to The Case of the Unexplained, with tips on tracking down issues, like problem drivers. The videos are a bit long, but well worth the time to view, as the tips and tricks can be so very helpful, especially if one has tracked things this far, and cannot get beyond "This problem was caused by a driver. Contact the driver manufacturer for an update, or more details... " [Man, I wish that MS could find a way to tell the user WHICH driver it was!]

If your testing gets past The Case... and you still cannot find the problem, then I doubt that I can be of any additional help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                          nealeh Level 5

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                            kjm33 Level 1

Thanks to Neale and Bill for the quick replies.  I downloaded the latest audio driver and it seeme

d to take longer today before PE gave me a warning about low memory, and then continues without crash

ing.  Yesterday I looked in the event viewer and found this:

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, version: 9.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d01cdbb

Faulting module name: MSVCP90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.4926, time stamp: 0x4a1743c5

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00004d84

Faulting process id: 0x4c8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbf58fc39379bf

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_508ed732bcb c0e5a\MSVCP90.dll

Report Id: 61c41cdb-6184-11e0-ad86-1c6f654ec536

The program Adobe Premiere Elements.exe version 9.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action  Center control panel.

Process ID: d34

Start Time: 01cbf5710aa8b727

Termination Time: 85

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Report Id: f55b2736-6182-11e0-ad86-1c6f654ec536

There are also a lot of messages about SQL Server Express which apparently runs as a service (for my share charting software) - should I be disabling it?

e.g SQL Server is now ready for client connections. This is an informational message; no user action is required

I haven't looked at the videos re Case of the Unexplained but will do after Easter (going away).

I am thinking of splitting my project into 4 parts, rendering each part separately (in HD to produce an m2t file.  Then another project (let's call it FINAL) would import the 4 m2t files to the timeline.  This raises a couple of new questions:

1.  Will I get any loss of quality if I output from FINAL in (a) m2t format for a HD web file, or (b) to a DVD

2. If I edit the m2t files on the timeline in FINAL will that affect final output quality

3. although I can output the work area only from my original project (45 minutes), I would prefer to have 4 short projects.  Is there any way of selecting all clips in the work area, or in a certain part of the timeline, without having to do it manually.  In other words how can I quickly split my full project into 4 11 minute projects?

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several posts, regarding MSVCP90.dll on this forum.

I would do a Google search on "Adobe Premiere Elements" and "MSVCP90.dll." I would say Search this forum, but it's broken for now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                nealeh Level 5

kjm33 wrote:

The program Adobe Premiere Elements.exe version 9.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed

You should install the 9.0.1 update from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                  kjm33 Level 1

I am definitely running 9.01 (confirmed by clicking About PE, and also by trying to Update) - no idea why event viewer gives a message to imply I am only running 9.00.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                    ecarbaja

My first PE9 experience was just like yours, "Frustrating"! ( I have used versions 4, 7, &8 in the past creating hundreds of concert videos using 4 Panasonic HD (1080p, 30fps, Dolby 5.1) camcorders. My typical project uses 5-6 tracks.

We have similar systems with a few enhancements:  Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93 GHz, 8 gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 7, nVidia GeForce GX460 (1gb). C: drive (750gb - just used for Windows and program files). E: (1.5TB) & F: (1TB). I create my projects in E: & back them up on F: and offload them (via dual USB 3 ports (PCIe) to two (2) 3TB WD My Book, for archiving and storage).  So I thought that I definitely have "enough power" for PE9 - "WRONG"!The problem with PE9 is that it hogs all system resources!

So I did my research and came up with this S.O.P.  when I create, edit, render and upload (to YouTube) or burn a DVD:

1. Norton AV also uses a lot of resources so I temporarily "disable" the "Smart Firewall" and "Auto-Protect" features.

2. I close all programs (except for a "wordpad" doc for notes, and a Windows Explorer).

3. I also terminate all tasks running in the background, i.e. "Hotkeys" THX Audio managers, Screen capture utilities, etc.

4. I changed my paging file size to max at: 32768mb ("Adjust to best peformance of : Programs").

5. cleaup "media cache" (C:\Users\Gene\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache) regularly.

* prior to this, make sure in PE (preferences | media) click on "clean"

6. and before each session I a) empty  the recycle bin, and b) Defrag my C: drive and reboot the PC.

note: I also make sure that I have no more than 3 tracks active at any given time

Here is a sample of my latest video using 4 full HD video tracks and one 24-bit audio track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_uwvm7YLA8

Please let me know how this works out.

-gene

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Gene,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for providing your SOP for editing. It is very similar to what is outlined in Clean, Mean, Editing Machine, and with the current crop of active-scanning protection programs, plus some security aspects added in Win7, needs to be repeated. Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Good luck, and I'm off to see your video,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Gene,

Thanks for the link!

I like the initial PiP and then the highlighting on the tenor - Track Matte Keying?

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                          kjm33 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions Gene.   Before I try everything - you said " I also make sure that I have no more than 3 tracks active at any given time".  Exactly how can you make sure of this - do you disable some clips if you are using more than 3 tracks?  The video you posted used 4 video tracks you said.  Does that mean you had to disable one track during editing? If so did you not have any problems when exporting the final version with all tracks enabled?

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                            ecarbaja Level 1

What I mean is that only the active clip, in each track is enabled, except where there is an overlap, like a transition. So if you do a special effect using various "opacity levels" on multiple video tracks, then using more than 3 active video tracks will start to degrade the performance of PE9, and eventually cause the program to crash. You will need to determine the max capabilities of your computer setup.

Using additional video tracks for titles also affects the performance of PE9 during editing, so I keep them disabled until the project is finalized and ready to share. Installing the high-end ($300) nVidia video adapter enable me to smoothly preview, while editting.

Here is my latest project from Good Friday, using five (5) HD (1080) cameras, one (1) 24-bit audio, and one title track. Seven tracks total. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PppWcU9PTc

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                              ecarbaja Level 1

Hunt,

I used the "spotlight" in the "lighting effects" using a duplicated track, with the original underneath, and varied the opacity level.

I used the similar technique on my latest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PppWcU9PTc

PE9 has enough capabilities for the type of projects I create, and I am having fun discovering them. I doubt if I will ever need, or use all of those features (with only cost $99).

thanks,

-gene

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The Lighting Effect>Spotlight looks great in your footage, and is much easier to apply, than doing a Track Matte for Keying, Contrast, Levels, etc.

Nice touch, and visually effective.

I think that I will add that to the "Highlighting a Moving Subject" article, if it can be Keyframed over time.

As I have an older version, and as much has changed, do you recall if the Lighting Effect can be Keyframed?

Thank you,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                                  kjm33 Level 1

Please see my final comments at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/844962?tstart=0

Although I think PE9 has some sort of resources leak I have managed to work around it.

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                                    Ted Smith Level 3

ecarbaja

Nice movie of choir performing however I though that the piano accompaniment was quite a bit too loud in some of the soft passages.

I know this is difficult because it is hard to play a grand piano softly, particularly when there are two pianists.

It is usually a matter of microphone placement but that is always difficult in a concert situation.

(I am a musician, singer and retired recording studio and broadcasting engineer and  my wife often says I play my grand piano too loudly)

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 9 project crashes frequently
                                                      kjm33 Level 1

I have just remembered something I tried that may be the fix to the white screens:

See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/increasing-ram -access-for-a-single-application/94be1162-27fa-436a-b216-7fae881e34a2 - I ran the BCDEDIT command to increase the limit of 2 gb per application in 32-bit Windows. Apparently 32-bit apps have access to 4 gb RAM, but 2 gb is reserved fore the kernel and 2 gb for the app.  I ran the command to increase the app amount to 3 gb.  Thinking about it now that could have made a huge difference if it was indeed a resources issue.