4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2011 4:26 PM by Colin Brougham

how to identify clips in finder that are used in the timeline?

richmaskey1 Level 1

Heya, this is my first post to this forum and an issue ive been struggeling with for a while...

i am trying to archive my footage and reduce the amount of HDD space old projects are taking up. I have LOADS of footage i'm never going to use again saved in folders that i want to easily identify and get rid of. Is there any way in premier pro to 'tag' files that have been used in the timeline or even the project and then i can simply go and delete those that aren't. Similar to the feature in after effects that removes unused clips from the project (though that still leaves them on the drive).

this would also make transcoding the correct files much easier as i currently have to identify each one individually by using the show in finder option...

some help on this would be much appreciated

I'm using CS5 on a macbook to edit canon DSLR footage, is there any more information that you guys need?

Cheers

Rich

• 1. Re: how to identify clips in finder that are used in the timeline?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

In the Project Panel, you can edit your Columns. I move Video & Audio Usage to the front, right after Type. It will give you a count of the times used, and display a 0, when not used. PrPro will also allow you to Remove Unused from the Project.

Now, as PrPro does nothing at the system level, you might need to go in reverse - make note of the Assets Used, and then manually Delete the Unused.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: how to identify clips in finder that are used in the timeline?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

In the Project Panel, click the flyout menu; that's the little stack o' pancakes thing in the upper right corner of the panel. Select "Metadata Display." In the search box, type "usage"--this will reveal the Video Usage and Audio Usage metadata labels. Check those to add them, and hit OK; they'll now be added to the columns in the Project Panel. Now, you can sort on those columns to filter by usage--the unused clips won't have a number associated with that column. Select them all, and if you really want to purge them from the drive, hit Ctrl/Cmd+Delete--that will remove the media from the drive.

If you just want to get rid of the clips, Project > Remove Unused will do that.

• 3. Re: how to identify clips in finder that are used in the timeline?
              richmaskey1 Level 1

thank you thats great. Do you know of any way to indetify the files (without deleteing the unused) in the timeline so that i can transcode only the ones in the timeline. As far as im aware this is proxy editing though i haven't been able to work it out properly

cheers

rich

• 4. Re: how to identify clips in finder that are used in the timeline?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Rich,

You could create a new project, and import your original project into it. When you do so, you'll get a dialog that will ask if you want to import all sequences or just select ones; pick the sequence that you want to transcode/consolidate. That will import just that sequence and its connected media.

You could also run the Project Manager (under the Project menu); this will let you select the sequence(s) you want and then copy the media to a new location. Again, you'll have a new project and it will connect to the copied media. You can transcode those, then, and work from there.