12 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 3:36 AM by Brushman1000

Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9

Brushman1000 Level 1

I had a serious problem with the program and need to reinstall, but when going to uninstall several warnings sound quite severe, it says "after removal this program will no longer be available for use."

"before uninstalling Adobe premiere elements nine, you should make sure you have deactivated and removed any serial numbers used when installing it on this machine"

"Deactivating will allow you to activate your Adobe product on another computer"

I was just hoping to uninstall and reinstall it on the same computer, what is the correct procedure? Does it have to be deactivated or not?

Many thanks,

Brushman1000

• 1. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>have to be deactivated

Yes

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
            Brushman1000 Level 1

Right okay thanks for that, so therefore is there no limit to how many times it can be deactivated and reactivated?

• 3. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know about PrE, but with PS, AI, InDesign, PrPro, AE, and most other Adobe programs, there is both a limit on Activations/Deactivations, and the number 8 sticks in my mind. Even if one reaches that limit, a call to Adobe Customer Service, will get the number reset. There are also limits on the number of installs, but again, a call to C/S will get that reset. Remember, this is Customer Service, and NOT Technical Service.

Few users ever reach either the max for Activations/Deactivations, or installs, but with installations that are acting up, or with system crashes, it has happened. I do not recall anyone ever not getting good service from Customer Service in this respect.

Deactivate, uninstall, perhaps run a Registry cleaner, like CCleaner (accept the default to backup the Registry) several times, and then install, Activate with your S/N.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                Brushman1000 Level 1

Perfect answer, I will follow your instructions!

Many thanks...

brushman1000

• 5. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and if you DO have any issues, the folk at C/S are standing by to help you. I've ever only had to contact them once, for a very old version of Illustrator. They had it sorted in five mins., including hold time, but that was then, so things might have slowed down a bit.

Technical Service is not really equipped to deal effectively with installation issues, as they seldom know how to reset limits, etc., and read from a script.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                    Brushman1000 Level 1

Nice info, much appreciated!

• 7. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Most welcome, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                        Brushman1000 Level 1

So... if I just want to reinstall on the same PC, should I Suspend activation (which deactivtes but doesn't remove the serial number) or deactivate permanently which does? I've never had to do this before with any of my software... so I'm totally new to this.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is a question that I cannot answer. I have never uninstalled PrE. Actually, I do not think that I have ever uninstalled any Adobe program, since CS, when Activation was added. Now, I have Deactivated many, when I changed computers, but then I was installing onto a new box.

Sorry, and hope that others can help here.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                            Brushman1000 Level 1

Thanks for the try!

Cheers.

I should make that into a new thread..

• 11. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                              Mohammad Tahseen Adobe Employee

I think i should jump in here as i had worked with installer and licensing team for some time earlier. Retail serial numbers are tied up with 2 activations which means one serial number can be used simultaneously on 2 machines in activated state. After that if someone tries to activate the same serial number on 3rd machine, serial number is accepted but the moment activation is attempted to adobe server error is displayed that "this SN has already been used on 2 other machines. Please deactivate from one of the machines and then use the same SN on this machine or try from a new SN". This is the reason deactivation information is prompted to users during uninstallation. In case if they forget to deactivate but uninstalled, they will continue to see the same error on 3rd machine. This process of deactivating from one of two machines and then activating to 3rd machine is referred as transfer activation. And there is a limit to this number actually whose limit i don't remember exactly but hardly anyone reaches that limit.

So if you have to reinstall on the same machine, you can continue without deactivating the software and there is not any limit to activation on the same machine. Adobe activation server tracks only machine information and number of transfer activation.

Only difference between permanent and suspend deactivation is in case of permanent it removes SN from installed databse also along with deactivation. While in case of suspend deactivation, SN is retained in one of the database file but the deactivation is done from server. Advantage of this method is if someone has lost the SN, he/she can install in trial and at the launch time software is activated either automatically or already entered SN is displayed to him/her and activation is prompted.

Hope this helps,

Tahseen

• 12. Re: Uninstalling/reinstalling Pre 9
                                Brushman1000 Level 1

Perfect answer! Thanks very much Tahseen... Now I really unerstand it.

Cheers.