10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2011 9:33 AM by Colin Brougham

Why can't I render to match sequence ?

ryan_khoo Level 1

Hi there,

I have quite an irritating problem.

I brought in an effects I did in AE which is in 1920 x 1080.

Then in Pre Pro, I also set the sequence as 1920 x 1080.

When I render, I did Export > Media. I chose "match sequence settings" but the output is always in mpeg format which I cannot change (it is the only format availabe).

So since I need to render in mov, I cannot use "match sequence settings", I select Quicktime. For the Preset, there is only NTSC & PAL DV widescreen. How come there is no option for HDV ?

As it turn out, when i click export, the output is in 720 x 756.

How to I get Premiere Pro to render in 1920 x 1080 ?

Please help me, I am desperate !!

Thanks

Cheers

• 1. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I chose "match sequence settings" but the output is always in mpeg format which I cannot change (it is the only format availabe).

That's expected. Unfortunately, it's usually not wanted, either. Avoid using "Match Sequence Settings," as it really doesn't work as you'd expect.

So since I need to render in mov, I cannot use "match sequence settings", I select Quicktime. For the Preset, there is only NTSC & PAL DV widescreen. How come there is no option for HDV ?

There may not be an out-of-the-box preset for the export you want, but there's nothing stopping you from changing the Format, Codec, and other parameters to design the preset you need. If you need a QuickTime file, select QuickTime as the Format, and then choose the Codec you want from the Video tab. The default is probably DV, which won't work for an HD export--DV is fixed to certain parameters that are absolutely inflexible. Change the codec, and you can dial in the size, frame rate, bit rate and so on.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
            ryan_khoo Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

There may not be an out-of-the-box preset for the export you want, but there's nothing stopping you from changing the Format, Codec, and other parameters to design the preset you need. If you need a QuickTime file, select QuickTime as the Format, and then choose the Codec you want from the Video tab. The default is probably DV, which won't work for an HD export--DV is fixed to certain parameters that are absolutely inflexible. Change the codec, and you can dial in the size, frame rate, bit rate and so on.

Thanks Colin,

But I have already set the Codec to 1080i but how come the output is still 720 x 576 ?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ryan,

You have chosen a DV format, hence the Frame Size limitation. Instead, choose an HD format, and then the appropriate CODEC, per Colin's suggestion.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

But I have already set the Codec to 1080i but how come the output is still 720 x 576 ?

What codec are you referring to? You may have to manually change the dimensions after changing the codec; some codecs are resolution independent, and can use (practically) any resolution. Others, like DV or DVCPROHD, are fixed at specific resolutions.

• 5. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
                  ryan_khoo Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Ryan,

You have chosen a DV format, hence the Frame Size limitation. Instead, choose an HD format, and then the appropriate CODEC, per Colin's suggestion.

Good luck,

Hunt

Thanks Bill, but there is no HD format to choose from ???

• 6. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
                    ryan_khoo Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

What codec are you referring to? You may have to manually change the dimensions after changing the codec; some codecs are resolution independent, and can use (practically) any resolution. Others, like DV or DVCPROHD, are fixed at specific resolutions.

Thanks Colin, I chose Apple Intermediate Codec

Any ideas ?

• 7. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh, forgot--you're on a Mac.

Well, as I recall, AIC is limited to 1440x1080, using non-square pixels. I'm surprised that Premiere doesn't automatically reset the height and width values, but maybe that's only for non-QuickTime formats and codecs, as it uses its own export module. You will probably have to manually set those dimensions (1440x1080) and PAR (1.333) if you want to export using this codec.

That said, why do you want to use this codec? It's an intermediate codec (and not a very good one, at that), not a destination codec. What do you want to do with your file?

EDIT: Just checked on my Windows machine, and with QuickTime as the Format, dimensions do change depending on the codec selected. DV and DVCPROHD, for example, are locked, but other codecs can be changed to suit the source and destination. If you choose AIC as the codec, and the dimensions appear locked, please post a screenshot...

• 8. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ryan,

Are you saying that you have no HD options available? Before we go into the Revert to Trial Bug (do not think this is your case, as you have a 1080 Project/Sequence, that is working fine - correct?), can you post a screen-caps of your Export dialog screen?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
                          ryan_khoo Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

Oh, forgot--you're on a Mac.

Well, as I recall, AIC is limited to 1440x1080, using non-square pixels. I'm surprised that Premiere doesn't automatically reset the height and width values, but maybe that's only for non-QuickTime formats and codecs, as it uses its own export module. You will probably have to manually set those dimensions (1440x1080) and PAR (1.333) if you want to export using this codec.

That said, why do you want to use this codec? It's an intermediate codec (and not a very good one, at that), not a destination codec. What do you want to do with your file?

EDIT: Just checked on my Windows machine, and with QuickTime as the Format, dimensions do change depending on the codec selected. DV and DVCPROHD, for example, are locked, but other codecs can be changed to suit the source and destination. If you choose AIC as the codec, and the dimensions appear locked, please post a screenshot...

Thanks Colin & Bill,

I didn't realize below the Codec chosen there is a vertical slider to surf down & change the dimension. The default for vertical & horizontal was 720 and 576, so I changed them to 1920 and 1080 and it worked. Not sure why the default was 720 & 576 but oh well ....

Colin, I select AIC simply because it says Apple Intermediate Codec ... I thought because I was using an Apple computer so I select it. Okay, what would be a good codec then ? I wanted it to be able to watch on a computer in HD.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Why can't I render to match sequence ?
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

I'd use H.264; you can either use H.264 as the Format (and choose a preset that closely matches your footage, tweaking to taste), or you can use QuickTime as the Format and then pick H.264 as the Codec. You'll need to do a little more manual tweaking and experimentation, so just do short sections of your sequence until you get a good quality-to-size ratio. With H.264, I'd definitely recommend exporting to square pixels, though--so in your case, you want 1920x1080, square pixels. This is different than AIC which will only go to 1440x1080 with a PAR (pixel aspect ratio) of 1.333.