7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 5:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Bypass rendering

Infinity Focus Photos Level 1

I was talking with someone who uses Final Cut Pro (7, I think) and I thought he said that if you had your project settings right, when you import videos you wouldn't have to render them (until you add effects and stuff like that).  Is this just a Final Cut thing, did I hear wrong, or is it true?

• 1. Re: Bypass rendering
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on your product, your source video and how your project set up. And what type of video you are trying to output from it, of course. Naturally, even in Final Cut, if you add DV video and output a DVD, you will need to render the files when you output.

In Premiere Elements 9, you do not have to render video from a miniDV camcorder, an HDV camcorder or an AVCHD camcorder if you have the proper project settings selected until you add effects to this video.

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from?

And what video format are you trying to output?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bypass rendering
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This is exactly the way that it is in PrE. If your Project Preset matches your Source Files, you will have no colored line above the Clips. When you add an Effect, an overlay (Video, still or Title), the line turns red, but might still playback adequately. When you add a Transition, again the line turns red, but still might play adequately. I seldom do a Render, until I am doing Keyframing for an Effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, I might have confused what you want to know. The term Render is used to create "proxy files," for smoothest playback. In PrE, the terms for output are Export (older), or Share (newer). For output, one will need to Encode the Timeline.

• 3. Re: Bypass rendering

Hey, sorry it always takes me a day or two to reply.  I'm using and insignia ns-dv111080f at 1080i 30fps and am trying to put it out as mpeg or h.264--I've tried both.  I've set the project settings to hard disk, flash memory camcorders 1080i 30fps.  Oh, and I'm only using Premiere elements 8.

• 4. Re: Bypass rendering

by the way, what kind of computer are you using?  my computer simply refuses to play anything unrendered, although you can hear the audio.  even when i am using an external hard drive...

• 5. Re: Bypass rendering
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am using a dual Xeon Intel @ 3.2 GHz workstation, with 8 physical 1TB SATA II HDD's (no RAID), and a Quad-Core Intel 2 laptop @ 2.66GHz, with 3 physical 300GB SATA II HDD's. Both have 4GB RAM, and are running XP-Pro. Now, all of my Projects are SD, and when editing, the Source Files are DV-AVI Type II, either from Capture, or via conversion.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Bypass rendering

Ah.  That's an impressive computing machine!  Thanks for telling me.

• 7. Re: Bypass rendering
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It was, but is now getting quite old. Both the workstation and the laptop are ready for replacement. The workstation has lasted for most of 5 years, and the laptop is now about 4 years old. Once, each was "hot," but by today's standings, they are ancient history.

Hunt