4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2011 3:10 PM by the_wine_snob

in and out markers

novaboy5

Is it just me or is the online help manual not always that helpful?  When splittling clips in says to insert in and out markers but it does not really tell you how.

I found them in the clip drop down menu but they are grayed out.  I want to be able to add back a few frames if needed when editing a video.  I used to use pinacle studio and you could just drag the end of any clip to restore frames.

Michael

• 1. Re: in and out markers
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If it's any consolation, my books offer step-by-step instructions, plus illustrations!

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

• 2. Re: in and out markers
            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several ways to add In & Out Points (not ever heard them called "markers") in a Clip.

One way is to Dbl-click on the Clip in the Project Panel. This will Open the Clip in the Source Monitor. There, you can use the In & Out Poiints (maybe these are the "markers" referred to), in the Source Monitor. When done, drag the Clip from the Source Monitor to the Timeline. This creates an Instance of that Clip. You can have unlimited Instances, and they can all have different In & Out Ponts.

Another way to do this is to drag the Clip from the Project Panel to the Timeline. At the Head of the Clip, click-drag to set the In Point. Now, click-drag on the Tail, to set the Out Point.

A variation of the above is to drag the Clip to the Timeline, then use the Scissors/Razor Tool (or Ctrl-K, with the CTI where you want to Cut) to Cut the Clip. Separate it, as is required. Then Rt-click on all sections to be removed, and choose Delete and Close Gaps.

Remember, your original AV file is NOT harmed, or changed in any way. You are only writing instructions to the Project file, PREL, telling it what to do, when you go to output the Timeline. Don't worry about "cutting" Frames out, as they are not really gone. You can click-drag on a Head, or Tail, to get them back again.

Now, when setting In & Out Points, if you are using Transitions, see this ARTICLE, as you WILL want to leave adequate Handles.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

PS - I highly recommend Steve's books, his Basic Training and Learning Series on Muvipix.com.

• 3. Re: in and out markers
              novaboy5 Level 1

Thanks for the help on this.  I thought that I was actually cutting the clips here and not just setting the in and out points.

Silly me!   Your answer was a help though.

Michael

• 4. Re: in and out markers
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

This is a common mis-conception. PrE is a non-destructive editor, which means that the original files are never altered in any way.

All one is doing is writing instructions, that the program will use when one goes to Export/Share. At that time, PrE reads those instructions, and then applies them to the data that is ONLY read from the original files. Until Export/Share, there is really nothing, but those instructions in XML language.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt