7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 5:55 AM by daaave

Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5

cmscss Level 1

Hi There,

I've searched the forums but turned up nothing (have noticed this a lot recently - is the search working currently?) so sorry if this easy.

We do a lot of print AND a lot of web which means we have a lot of CMYK images in our image library. In Photoshop this is easily handled but when we import CMYK images into Fireworks the colours go crazy.

Is there a way to import them and have them look correct?

The default colour management policy for CMYK images in Adobe apps is: none - don't change values. Wonder if this is contributing to the issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Fireworks uses RGB color space rather than CMYK. It doesn't read color profiles either. In order for your CMYK images to display properly in Fireworks, convert them to sRGB color space in Photoshop and turn off color profiling.

• 2. Re: Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5
            cmscss Level 1

Thanks Linda,

That's a real shame.

I'm not after CMYK support in Fireworks but the color conversion Fireworks does is way off - especially for a CS5 app.

Is Adobe trying to kill Fireworks off or something? It's been very buggy on Macs up until CS5 and seems to have some surprising gaps - like no colour management.

I guess the safest and quickest way would be to do all our image libraries for websites in Photoshop.

Thanks again.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

Untill all browsers read color profiles, there's no point in adding it to Fireworks.

• 4. Re: Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5
                cmscss Level 1

Thanks Linda,

I'm not thinking output profiles to be read in browsers, more the ability for Fireworks to read and correctly interpret how a CMYK file should look before it converts it to RGB.

When I place images from our company's photo library into Fireworks, they look totally fluro and completely unnatural. I'm guessing because of the conversion Fireworks is doing?

Cheers

• 5. Re: Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5
                  Linda Nicholls Level 4

Wouldn't it have to be able to read CMYK files in order to do that? :-) Fireworks isn't converting the files to RGB. It is simply reading as much of their data as it can to display the images inside Fireworks. Can't you batch convert the files to sRGB in Photoshop?

• 6. Re: Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5
                    cmscss Level 1

Thanks Linda, we just talked about that but maintaing and storing two versions of our image libraries (even for one client) isn't practical.

Fireworks is obviously doing some kind of conversion from CMYK, I was just suggesting that if the end result looked more accurate, that would be helpful.

Honoring colour management profiles seemed like a consistent way of doing things across the CS apps but web-only folk probably couldn't care less - so no worries!

• 7. Re: Importing CMYK images - Mac CS5
                      daaave Level 2

if you're going to save fireworks version of the file anyway then batch converting a CMYK to RGB file and using that intermediairy file in fireworks and then save as FW png then you can simply delete the intermediairy file after bringing it into fireworks.