9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 1:42 PM by blazon1

Problem with AVI files in PE8

blazon1 Level 1

I have someone shooting video at a hockey tournament, then uploading the video so I can download it to edit and publish it.  He is using the same camera for all video, with the video file output being the same regardless of the situation (action video, interviews).  The file format is AVI, not sure what kind of camera he is using, though.  The action videos work fine, for the most part, but the interview videos so far won't even load into PE8 when I'm trying to edit them, and also won't play in WMP, QT or Arcsoft.  Again, there is no difference in the files from what I can tell (checking the properties in QT and Arcsoft).  I've also tried to work with them in Sony Vegas Movie Studio, but no luck there, either.  Any thoughts on what the problem could be?  It seems to me that if one file can play, they all should since there are no differences in the files that I can find, other than the recording situation.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AVIs can be composed of any of  hundreds of possible codecs(compression systems), most of which are not  compatible with this program.

If we know what model of camcorder he shot the video with and how he got it into his computer, that would be helfpful.

But, from what you're telling us, it's also pretty likely that he's not giving you video directly from his camcorder. He's converted it to another format (such as Divx-AVI) in order to hand the file over to you. And, in the process, he's converted it to a codec that is not editable. (You can find out for sure by opening the file in a program called G-Spot, available at http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ )

Ideally, your photographer should give you the original video.

Optionally, you can try to convert the online video to an editable format -- but this would likely result in greatly reduced quality if it works at all.

Trust me, whatever your video shooter is doing to that video before he posts it online is essentially making it uneditable. You need to work out a system in which you get the original video files -- and you need to ensure Premiere Elements is set up properly to work with whatever files those are.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's comments, see this ARTICLE on AVI as a "wrapper."

There is something different about some of those AVI files. It is likely those differences, that are causing you the issue.

Please give us the report from G-Spot (PC-only), or MediaInfo (X-platform), and we can see what those differences are.

Good luck, and thank you,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
              blazon1 Level 1

OK, thanks for the responses.  I'll get back to this thread in a bit once I have more info.

• 4. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
                blazon1 Level 1

The camera being used is a Casio EXILIM 8.1 MP digital camera (no model # was provided).  I was under the impression that he would be using a flip camera of some sort, so this is not great news.  He is taking the video from the media card and transferring it to the laptop, then uploading it to an FTP folder that I then download from.  He isn't doing anything to the video, otherwise.  He said it is playing fine on the computer that he is using.  I can work with some of the video, but it seems like the interview videos will not turnout properly.

• 5. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to reply to Hunt... with the information about the exact CODEC used for the files

Only when you reply with the CODEC will anyone be able to suggest a possible solution

• 6. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
                    blazon1 Level 1

The codec is M4S2, the camera model is EX-Z850 (Casio, as I mentioned above).  According to GSpot, I have the codec installed on my laptop.  The "name" field in Gspot shows Compliant MPEG-4 v2 Simple Profile.  This is the information in the Container section:

File truncated.
                    · 111 MB (113,799 KB / 116,530,360 bytes) are missing
                    AVI v1.0
                    Note: MPEG info in AVI stream header.
                    Video: 9.84 MB (95.43%)
                    Audio: 473 KB (4.48%)
                    AVI Overhead: 10.0 KB (0.10%)

Is this enough info?

• 7. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
                      blazon1 Level 1

I just uploaded a file that he shot today in which he used a different, probably higher quality setting (bigger file) for the interview.  This one worked, although I still have to play with it in APE.  But I think I'll be able to work with it.  Still, any thoughts on the previous video would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The codec is M4S2

I am not familiar with that CODEC, but this seems to be the Web Site, and they sell a converter program.

Not sure what that is all about.

I see that you got a better file, and I believe that is a very good thing, as you do not need to add another CODEC to your system. Also, even with that installed properly, there is no guarantee that PrE would be able to work with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problem with AVI files in PE8
                          blazon1 Level 1

OK, thanks for your input.