2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing RealPlayer files

copwriter1 Level 1

I have some RealPlayer (*.rm) files I am trying to edit in Premiere Elements 8.0. When I try to import the files into the organizer, I get the error message "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." The *.rm file extension appears in the Premiere Elements list as a supported file type, and I can play these files using the VLC Media Player application in Windows 7. How do I edit these files?

• 1. Re: Editing RealPlayer files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

RealPlayer files are proprietary video and are not universally editable. As you've found, they most definitely can not be edited in Premiere Elements (or most other video editing programs).

A Google search will give you a list of several programs that claim to be able to convert .rm files to DV-AVIs. Unfortunately, I am not personally aquainted with any and can't vouch for them. As you can tell, the folks at RealPlayer did not intend for their video to be edited!

If any program can do it, Super can. And fortunately it's a free download.

The FAQS to the right of this forum have instructions for setting the program up for DV-AVI output.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing RealPlayer files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I am with Steve on the RM files. Conversion would be my first course of action.

VLC Player is a great program, but one thing to remember is that it contains its own set of CODEC's, and if you do not have the same CODEC installed on your system, PrE cannot access them. Even with some installed properly, PrE will be unable to use them to edit. This depends on the exact CODEC. See this ARTICLE for more info and background.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - very long ago, I had RealMedia Player installed. It was very close to being labeled as a Trojan, IMO, and I have not used a copy of it in over 10 years. I am obviously less than a fan.

1 person found this helpful