19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2011 3:39 AM by pgauba RSS

Disk burning problem

Cedrelix Community Member

Hi,

I have created a Dvd of nearly 2 hours in length and successfuly burn't it to a folder on my PC. I have tried with three different programs to burn the file from the folder to a double-layer DVD as I have done before. Each time an error is returned. The most information I can get is that the "Folder's structure is not accepted by the disk."

The DVD plays fine in the preview option in the disk menu screen prior to compiling. I have not figured out how to play the DVD from the burnt folder but I can play all the individual .vob files.

I am considering splitting the video and compiling in two halves for burning to two single-layer DVDs, before I do has anyone any ideas that might help?

Thanks

Jim

• 1. Re: Disk burning problem
          nealeh Community Member

Download VideoLAN VLC media player to see if that can play the video from the folder.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Disk burning problem
            John T Smith CommunityMVP

>tried with three different programs

Well... which programs?

Did you use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

• 3. Re: Disk burning problem

Hi Nealeh,

Thank you for your reply.

I have VLC. If I try to open the DVD at the parent or subsequent folders the program plays the Ist of two Scene menus (but the menu is not active) and then returns the error:

" No suitable decoder module:

VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

Jim

• 4. Re: Disk burning problem

TMPGenc DVD Author, AVS DVD Copy and Windows 7.

• 5. Re: Disk burning problem
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

In Windows Explorer, or Finder (which platform/OS are you running?) navigate to the destination HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and destination root folder. There you should see the VIDEO_TS folder. Do you see that?

Inside the VIDEO_TS folder, you should have IFO, BUP and VOB files. Do you see those?

Good luck, and let us know a little more, please.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Disk burning problem

Yes, I can see all those file types in the Video_TS folder. Can I use that as the root folder to burn to disk? There seems to be an awful lot of files in other folders: Open DVD, Scources etc.

I'm sorry if i do not give all the relevent data at once - it is a bit difficult for me knowing what is relevent or not to the expert.

I'm running W7 64 bit.

• 7. Re: Disk burning problem

Thank you.

The VIDEO_TS folder is exactly what you will Burn to Disc.

John T. offered a link to the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn. Just point it to the VIDEO_TS folder. Ignore all other folders.

I also recommend using Verbatim DL (Double Layer - DVD-9) blank media. That is the only brand of DL disc that I will use, and have been 100% successful for about 600 burned discs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Disk burning problem

I have isolated and attempted to burn to disk the VIDEO_TS folder which contains the following files:

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_O.BUP

VTS_01_O.IFO

VTS_01_O.VOB

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_02_O.BUP

VTS_02_O.IFO

VTS_02_O.VOB

VTS_02_1.VOB

VTS_02_2.VOB

VTS_02_3.VOB

VTS_02_4.VOB

VTS_02_5.VOB

VTS_02_6.VOB

VTS_02_7.VOB

VTS_03_O.BUP

VTS_03_O.IFO

VTS_03_O.VOB

VTS_03_1.BUP

VTS_03_2.BUP

I still get the same error that the folder's structure is not accepted by the disk. I will try the free burning utility that John T mentioned. I have to say that I have found the TMPGenc DVD Authoring program excellent and I have never before had any trouble with it with any sort of disk. If this doesn't work, I have already split the project into two and I will try burning 2 x 1hour single layer disks.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

• 9. Re: Disk burning problem
                          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

As Bill said, you need to burn the VIDEO_TS folder (with these files inside) to your DVD disc.

Your DVD player will only recognize the disc as a player DVD if is sees this folder.

Most burner software (including ImgBurn) must be set to Burn Folder rather than Burn File(s) in order to burn the folder and its structure.

• 10. Re: Disk burning problem

I did exactly that Steve and I have now down loaded ImgBurn and tried with that.

I now get the error:

Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break...........

I see lots of information as to how I might fix this but I don't know how to get PE7 to do it.

Jim

• 11. Re: Disk burning problem
                              Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

Jim, I'm not sure what's going on, but it's not likely Premiere Elements has anything to do with it.

The program has produced the VIDEO_TS folder along with its .vob files, as it should have.

There is something else going on on your system that isn't related to these files. Assuming that you're using the right media (and not, for instance, a DVD+R in  a DVD-R burner) there is no reason your burner would refuse to burn the files. The nature of the files has nothing to do with it.

• 12. Re: Disk burning problem

>Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break

Hmm... what are your layer break settings in PElements?

• 13. Re: Disk burning problem

Nealeh,

Until today I had no idea what a layer break was letalone I had to set one.

PE7 certainly did not advise me of them!

Steve <file://
                                  teve> does not seem tp think the problem is anything to do

with PE.

Jim

• 14. Re: Disk burning problem

You might want to read this THREAD from ElementsVillage, as it talks about using DL (DVD-9) media, and especally the Layer Break (referred to as "break point" in this thread).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Disk burning problem

Thanks to everyone for your help. It seems to me that the easiest solution at the moment is to either simply split the project into two parts, each of which will comfprtably fit onto a 4.7GB disk OR shrink it to fit onto one 4.7 GB disk.

I have to say that since PE gives the option of burning to a 8.5 GB double layer disk (call me naive  if you will) I rather expected it to do so without problems.

Obviously I was expecting too much.

Nevertheless I am a bit further up the learning curve and I will endevour, at a later stage, to burn to the larger disk.

Thanks again

Jim

• 16. Re: Disk burning problem

Jim,

I agree with you. If DL (DVD-9) is an option, then I would think that PrE would give one a way to handle the Layer Break, or would have a very good scheme for doing so automatically.

As I only have a much older version of PrE, and never use it to author any DVD, I cannot directly address the issue. Others, however, probably can, and wait for some of their comments.

One alternative (cannot recall if it was mentioned in this thread, or in another this morning) would be to Export/Share from PrE, the MPEG files, and then use Sony's DVD Architect to do the actual authoring. It is much more full-featured, than the limited authoring features in PrE. For most users, PrE's simple, and semi-automatic authoring is all they ever need, but for many, it is TOO limted.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Disk burning problem

If you have not already done so, download the appropriate PDF for easy keyword searching

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/index.html

P-Elements 9 http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

• 18. Re: Disk burning problem

Thanks Bill, I have other authoring programs - I'll give them a try.

Jim

• 19. Re: Disk burning problem
                                              pgauba Adobe Employee

Try to play the DVD folder with some software players (Power dvd or any other software player) and check whether the dvd folder plays or not.

You can burn the DVD folder to disc using Adobe encore and check the playback.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba