7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 1:09 PM by jarosebrock

Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages

jarosebrock

I have Adobe reader 9.43 on a MacBook OS X v10.58.  When attempting to print an 8.5 x 11 page "letter" size document, the preview on the print screen page is for an 8.5 x 14 legal size document.  I cannot change this to 8.5 x 11.  This means that the printer, an HP C4250 "All in One" only prints the top 2/3 of the document.  How do I reset the defaults so it defaults to letter size paper, not legal size paper.

Thanks

Regards

Jim

• 1. Re: Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages
          mytmo777

Are you sure the document actually fits on 8.5 x 11? Sounds like it's too big for letter size paper, especially since it's only printing part of the page when you print it to 8.5 x 11. You can try shrinking the document in your print settings. Go to "Paper Handling" in your print dialogue box and check "scale to fit paper size." Then select 8.5 x 11 paper. Not totally sure if this will work, but you can try. 

• 2. Re: Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages
            jarosebrock Level 1

These are all definitely 8.5 x 11 letter size documents.  I followed your

suggestion but could not get a screen to give me an option of going to a letter

size paper,

• 3. Re: Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages
              mytmo777 Level 1

Under File > Properties > Description what size does it show that the document is? Can you go to File > Page Set up and force it to another page size? Alternately, can you open it with Adobe Acrobat, which will give you more options?

• 4. Re: Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages
                jarosebrock Level 1

THanks for your continued help.  Going to file, page setup, the option for page

size is faded out so I cannot select it.  Is there some upgrade that I need?

• 5. Re: Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages
                  mytmo777 Level 1

You have a higher version of Adobe Reader than I do, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas. Possibly you could try saving it as a Word document and see if you can make adjustments or print from there. However,  my experience has been that usually you lose some of the formatting of the PDF when you do that, depending on how detailed the PDF is. I'm wondering if it's something in the way the document was printed to PDF to begin with.

I don't suppose printing it on 8.5 x 14 is an option?

• 6. Re: Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages
                    jarosebrock Level 1

I guess I don't know why I do not have access to some of the features.  I will

try saving to Word, but this also happens when I try to print powerpoints.  Pdfs

and powerpoints dont print right, just word documents.

• 7. Re: Printing 8.5 x 11 Pages
                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jarosebrock wrote:

Going to file, page setup, the option for page

size is faded out so I cannot select it.

That's not where you should be going. It really sounds like your document is actually legal size.

With the file open, go to File>Properties>Description>Advanced. What exactly does it say next to Page Size?

Althernately, you can mouse over the bottm left corner of the document to get a pop-up that has the document size.

If it's 8.5x14, you can't change that in Reader. Also going from that size to letter size would not be proportionate so the original document would have to be manipulated to get it down there.

If it's legal and you still want to print to letter size, simply choose "Fit to printable area" under scaling in the prnt dialog. Again, it will not be proportionate but at least it will fit.