14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2011 11:26 AM by bstanic

Flash Video not showing on Server

bstanic

Hi, wonder if anyone can help on this one. Going round in circles. Not sure why, should be simple enough.

I have created a Flash Video in Flash 8 and published and picked up in Dreamweaver 8. Published files were sample.swf, sample.html and SteelExternalAll.swf (skin). Publish settings were: Format - Flash SWF and HTML; default Flash settings with local playback security set to access local files only; default HTML settings.

In Dreamweaver, sample.html is accessed via an iframe in test.php. In Preview mode, everything is as it should be with the Video showing. The problem is, when I upload all the files to the Server, the video is not displayed including the skin. Instead, all I get is the border of the iframe with a red rectangle showing where the video should be.

Hope someone can help. Pulling my hair out on this one and get the feeling there is a simple explanation.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
          adninjastrator Level 4

Post a link to the actual page for best help results.

Adninjastrator

• 2. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
            bstanic Level 1

Click picture of female for pop-up window http://79.170.40.41/booksat.com/schools3.php

• 3. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
              adninjastrator Level 4

First get the video to play in the web page that you accessing in iframe;

http://79.170.40.41/booksat.com/videos/elaine.html

For testing purposes get rid of all that old, outdated Flash detection code and instead just use:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
              <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
              <head>
              <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
              <title>Elaine</title>
              </head>

<body>

<object data="elaine.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="345"><
                param name="movie" value="elaine.swf"> 
              </object>

</body>
              </html>

No skin but you should at least see the video... worry about the skin later....

But you also need to make sure that you have all the files uploaded, the .swf, the skin .swf and the .flv video file and that they are pathed correctly. Keep in mind that pathing to the Flash assets need to be relative to the Web page that the .swf video player is on, NOT the physical location of the .swf or the .flv file.

But get the video playing correctly on the elaine.html before you consider putting it in an iframe.

For a quick review on pathing Flash:

Pathing issues

Almost always when it works on the local machine and not the server, it's a pathing problem.
              You can put your Flash related files in whatever folders you want, they do NOT have to be in the root, they do NOT all have to be in the same folder. But if you have a problem and if sticking them all in the root folder works, then you know that the issue was a pathing problem.
              Just remember that paths used in the .swf become relative to the Web page on which the .swf is placed, NOT it’s physical location.  So for example, if your .swf is in the flash/data folder and you use that .swf on a Web page in the root folder, you are in effect, removing that .swf from flash/data and putting it in root. So if the .swf is loading any related files (xml, images, video, etc), the path used inside the .swf to load the .xml file has to be relative to it's new location in root and then back down into flash/data. This is true even though when testing the .swf by itself, it can be inside flash/data and work just fine, since relative to it's location, the path is just fine, they are in the same folder. But if that same path is used when the .swf is placed on a page two folder levels up, the relative path has changed, the old "same folder" path will not work.

In fact if you are placing the .swf on a web page in a different folder than the .swf is stored in, and that .swf calls external assets, then direct clicking and opening of the .swf in it’s folder should NOT work! That’s because the paths to the external assets should be relative to the Web page and not the physical location of the .swf.
              So just be sure that you use addresses relative to the final Web page locations (not physical file locations) and you can put the Flash related files in what ever folders you want.
              Best wishes,
              Eye for Video
              www.cidigitalmedia.com

Best fo luck to ya!

Adninjastrator

• 4. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                bstanic Level 1

Many thanks for your detailed response. Much appreciated. Unfotunately, however, still not working. When creating the fla file, I referenced the flv via the Parameters Panel from another folder to where the resulting files were stored i.e. /videos. I have since placed the flv file in the same video folder and referenced it in the contentPath. I then exported again and all related files are now in the same folder i.e. elaine.swf, elaine.flv and SteelExternalAll.swf are all in the same /videos folder.

Revoved the iframe as instructed and uploaded the new elaine.html page with simplified code with no joy, unfortunately.

Do you think it has anything to do with mimetype settings on the Server?

• 5. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                  adninjastrator Level 4

Well it could have something to do with the mime type on the server but now-days, everyone uses Flash and most reputable hosts understand that and set up the server that way.

So... let's try a couple of different things.

Test the server by creating a simple .swf... 5 frames, and a blue rectangle that moves from the left to the right on the stage... or some other really simple .swf... no extra assets, skin, etc....just a really simple .swf.

Edit your current "elaine" .html page with the new .swf file name... upload to server and see if it displays. If it does... mime type is no problem... problem is with the video.... so...

Now you have the Flash .swf, the .swf skin, and the .flv all in the same folder as the .html page "elaine" correct?

When testing the .swf by directly clicking and opening the file on your local machine, does the video play?

What about testing the .html page "elaine" with the .swf on it... clicking and directly opening on your local machine, does the video play?

If everything works on you local machine, re-upload to your server... perhaps something is being corrupted in the process. What are you using to upload? DW or some type of FTP software?

Adninjastrator

• 6. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                    adninjastrator Level 4

test .swf is working just fine..

now to zero in on the video player.

Can you get it working on you local machine?

Adninjastrator

• 7. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                      bstanic Level 1

Yes to everything: uploaded test swf file to elaine.html and works fine; all files are in the same folder; opening the swf file locally works ok; html file with swf file in it opens ok locally; have reuploaded to Server using both DW8 and CuteFTP.

You don't think it is anything to do with how the quicktime file was encoded using Flash 8 Video Encoder and using all default settings?

I have also added a simple animation beneath the video on the same swf file. Can be seen at following URL. Animation works fine

Thanks once again for your help. Frustrating issue this.

• 8. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                        kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you're using a path to your local machine to load elaine.flv.  probably that's not what you want.  upload that flv to your server and change path to the flv in your flash.

• 9. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                          bstanic Level 1

Yes the video player swf skin opens up fine

• 10. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                            bstanic Level 1

Changed the url in the contentPath (parameters panel) to the full url of the file on the server i.e. http://www.booksat.com/videos/elaine.flv but still same issue.

• 11. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                              bstanic Level 1

To rule out a server issue, would it be possible to email you the files involved for you to try and upload to your own server. I don't think uploads are being corrupted, since, would be a bit of a coincidence for both DW8 and Cuteftp to be corrupting file uploades.

• 12. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                                adninjastrator Level 4

http://www.booksat.com/videos/elaine.flv

returns file not found... double check file name spelling..all lower case... correct folder, etc.

Your welcome to send me the files and I'll give it a try.

http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/video.html

my email address is right below the video player.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

upload elaine.flv to www.booksat.com/videos and you should be good to go.

• 14. Re: Flash Video not showing on Server
                                    bstanic Level 1

Many thanks to everyone who helped me on this on. Now working. Fix included adding the correct server url in the fla file. Originally thought that the flv file would be embedded in the swf file,  therefore, forgot that i had browsed to my local documents when inserting the flv into the fla file. The last issue after changing the url in the fla was that I had also forgot that the url is a temporay test url (prefixed by ip address).

Many thanks again. You were absolutely right; it was a path issue.