7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 7:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update

RGSJr

I've been running PE8 (8.0.1) on a Win7x64 box for quite some time; burning DL DVD's with no problem.  Win7's latest set of patches was installed a couple of days ago.  Since then PE8 is telling my DVD burner is "unsutable" for burning DVD's.

I've got to get to the bottom of this, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has had this problem pop up.

Yes, the DVD player still plays DVD's and Music CD's.  I'm reluctant to put other burning software on it to see what happens.  I'm just starting out to try and solve the problem so I thought I'd ask around.

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed.

With a multi-drive, my first course of action would be:

• Check for firmware updates for that burner from the mfgr's. Web site and install the latests.
          • In Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager (or similar syntax in Win7), I would remove the burner, and then reboot, letting Windows find it, and install any drivers. While there, first look to see if there are any warnings, errors, etc.

If that does not help, create a System Restore Point for today. Shut down, and reboot into Safe Mode. Choose System Restore Point, and choose one from when it worked well. Test. All you have to loose is a bit of time, as you created that System Restore Point for today. If necessary, see Win7's Help File.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, from the Desktop, Rt-click on the PrE icon, and choose Run As Administrator. Does that get your multi-drive back?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update
              RGSJr Level 1

I've been doing some experimenting.

Instead of burning a Double Layer DVD I decided to send it to a folder (Share -> Disk -> Burn to Folder 8.5 GB).

Same error. It does all the compiling, etc. but ends up with "Device unsutable".

Now, I don't know but I would not have expected PE to even try to reference anything about the hardware DVD writer when all it was doing was to burn to a folder.  I would have expected it to burn to a folder even if there were no DVD writer installed into the computer.

So, if PE burns to a folder without caring if a DVD writer is installed then Microsoft's latest patches has messed with PE.  However, if PE really does check for the presence of a DVD writer (and some how uses it's driver) when just burning to a folder then I do have to also consider Microsoft's latest patches have somehow messed with the DVD writer's software.

On another note I understand your idea of reverting to a previous working checkpoint.  I have no problem with that.  I'm going to do a little more experimenting first.

BTW, do you know if PE does involve the DVD writer even if it's only "burning" to a folder?

Bob

• 4. Re: Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update
                RGSJr Level 1

Well, I've learned that PE does check (and apparently uses some part of) for the presence of a DVD writer even when I only want to "burn" to a folder.   Which means of course that I have to include the DVD writer software when trying to locate the problem.  While I except this as a truth, perhaps someone knows the wisdom behind this design decision?  This is basicly saying that I can't do my editing on a good editing machine (that doesn't have a DVD burner), "burn" the disk to a file, transfer the file to another slower machine and burn the DVD (presumably while I'm doing some more editing on my fast machine).

I'm doing some more experimenting.

Bob

By the way, I had swapped out the DVD writer for a new one and W7 did see it and installed the drivers.  Actually, it was the first thing I did when this all started because I had thought the device had failed.

No such luck.  Everything is pointing to the latest W7 "patches". <sigh>

• 5. Re: Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

I am not sure that PrE is accessing the multi-drive, with Burn to Folder. That would make no sense to me, but then stranger things have happened. One of the purposes of Burn to Folder is to allow one to edit on a computer without a multi-drive, create the VIDEO_TS folder, move it to another computer with a multi-drive and Burn to Disk with appropriate burning software.

Now, let's think about the background of the authoring/burning modules in PrE. They are based on the Sonic AuthorCore (they own the patents, and also sell Sonic Scenarist, the penultimate authoring app.), and licensed by Adobe. Because of the modular nature of the Sonic AuthorCore, there IS a total lack of communication between the modules and also the OS. Sometimes, an error message is but a "guess." PrE is but an abstraction layer for the authoring/burning functions. The process hangs, but the Sonic module does not tell PrE why, so PrE has to guess. This is less than ideal, but the main fault is with Sonic's modules PrE is but the "messenger."

Now, as your problem surfaced with a Windows update, did the System Restore Point, mentioned up-thread, get things back? One though is that since you have a much older video card, and nVidia has not issued an updated driver for some time, is that OS updates and hot-fixes can render the video driver obsolete. That could explain the white-screen.

As you can see, I am just thinking out loud above. I wish that I had a quick fix for you, but I do not have one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update
                    RGSJr Level 1

Hi Hunt; thanks for your note.

What I did was leave the DVD tray out.  Then I started a “burn” to folder.  As PrE was nearing completion of the “burn” it pulled the tray in and looked for a DVD (dvd blinking activity light).  That tells me that even when PrE is just “burning” to a folder it decides it needs to interact with the DVD burner.  It makes no sense to me, but that's how I interpret what I saw.

I'm not doing a system restore yet; still want to experiment to see what I can learn.  After all, everything still points to Microsoft's latest patches breaking something, either in PrE, the DVD burner hardware, or something else.  If it happened once, it'll happen again.

You must be thinking of somebody else when you discuss the video card.  Mines the latest with the latest drivers.  No “white-screen” here.

Anyway, I started this thread to ask if anyone else happen to have my experience with Microsoft's latest patches; not how to fix the problem.  I'll fix it by reinstalling everything from scratch.  If something is broken and I don't know what it is, the previous restore point may or may not work.  It's usually something I don't want to waste my time on.  But, that's just me.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Bob

• 7. Re: Disk Burning Problem after latest Win7 update
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

You must be thinking of somebody else when you discuss the video card.  Mines the latest with the latest drivers.  No “white-screen” here.

That would not be uncommon for me. This was a very long day, and I spent time on about six Adobe forums, so confusion should be expected - at least with me.

Sorry, and good luck,

Hunt