3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 2:54 PM by Jim_Simon

copy/paste 23.976 timeline to 24 timeline leaves gaps in edits

sologuy Level 1

Premiere 5.0.3

Windows 7

R3D Footage 23.976

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

(The reason for me doing this is explained below)

Here is what I am doing

1) Edited scene on 4k 23.976fps timeline

2) Selected all the edits and copied them

3) Created new 4k 24fps timeline

4) Pasted edits into new timeline

Doing so created partial frames and gaps at every edit (see image below)

Is there a way to move these edits over without creating the gaps and partial frames? Is there a way to remove all the gaps automatically?

REASON: If you have 23.976fps R3D file with embeded audio, the timecode is wrong. If you create a 24fps timeline then the timecode adjusts and displays correctly. I need the correct timecode so that I can sync audio and genereate edls. I didn't realize this bug until I had edited the entire project.

Here is a screen shot showing the play head on a partial frame and the gap created because of it.

Partial Frame.JPG

• 1. Re: copy/paste 23.976 timeline to 24 timeline leaves gaps in edits
          Jim_Simon Level 8

This happens whenever you embed or copy clips of one frame rate to a sequence of a different frame rate.  And every edit will need adjusting.

Your best bet may be to wait a couple weeks for CS5.5 to come out and keep the clips at their proper 23.976 frame rate.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: copy/paste 23.976 timeline to 24 timeline leaves gaps in edits
            sologuy Level 1

Thanks, this is such bad timing! I am trying to get this edit wrapped up for a screening during the Cannes Film Festival and waiting until some unknown date in May-ish for 5.5 is not even an option. I am pulling my hair out... I can't even create EDLs, XMLs or AAFs because the timecode is wrong. I am stuck in premiere or forced to adjust the edits on 2.5hrs of footage on a 24fps timeline so I can export something. Of course my edits will be off here and there, but at least the timecode will be correct.

The timecode error is the single most crippling bug that I have run into in my 10 years of using adobe software.

• 3. Re: copy/paste 23.976 timeline to 24 timeline leaves gaps in edits
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You don't actually need timecode to sync audio.  I do it manually all the time.  It may be a better solution than changing the timebase of your recorded footage.

You're right about the timing, though.  CS5.5 not only fixes this bug, but includes one click methods for syncing dual-system clips.

Maybe next year.