15 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 1:57 PM by A.T. Romano

Wrong Aspect Ratio

JamesAB Level 1

I have created what I thought was a wide-screen video from mpg clips sourced from a Sony Handycam.

The project settings were 720 horizontal x 576 Vertical (PAL) - as advised elsewhere in these forums.

I have encoded and burnt the rusulting project to disk as Pal_Widescreen_DolbyDVD,

Much to my suprise the video plays in the 4:3 aspect. Obviously I have done something wrong??

Can anyone advise me what?

Thanks

Jim

• 1. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
          JamesAB Level 1

As a rider to the above I had previously made the same video with the same aspect ratio 720 x576 but alongside these project settingas was 4:3. The resulting video from this project appears to be true w/s in that it fills the TV scree without black bars etiher side.

I am confused that in two projects both with the same pixel ratio one indicates 16:9 but plays 4:3 and the other indicates 4:3 but plays 16:9

Jim

• 2. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Is that Project set up as Widescreen?

In MediaInfo, or G-Spot, what do those programs say about your footage?

Different cameras do Widescreen differently. How does yours produce it?

When you drag your Clips to the Timeline, are they displayed properly, with no Scaling needed?

Are there red lines above the Clips?

In PrE, what does Interpret Footage show as the PAR of those Clips? Is that the same as what MediaInfo, or G-Spot show?

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
              the_wine_snob Level 9

BTW - for PAL Widescreen, your PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) should be 1.422. Is that what shows?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                nealeh Level 5

Did you select the widescreen project setting when you first created the project?

2.png

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                  JamesAB Level 1

Hi,

Let me start by saying that the aspect problem and shaky output that I reported earlier in "Shaky DVD ex PE7" in this forum, appear to be totally connected with the fact that, the original .avi footage from my DCR-HC35E Sony Handycam was converted to mpg before importing into the current project. Earlier footage in .avi format has been processed via Pr7 into DVDs without any problem. There are hisorical resons for the .avi to mpg conversion which are irrelevent to this disscussion.

Since this footage was taken in 2007 I am unable to say whether it was shot in 16:9 or 4:3 aspect. Suffice  to say that, unlike the output derived from mpg sources, the DVDs from unconverted .avi source fill my w/s TV without any vertical black bars either side of the screen.

MPG footage: MediaInfo data:

Container & general info:

MPEG-PS: 1 013MiB, 20mn 0s

1 video stream: MPEG Video 1 audio stream MPEG Audio

First Video Stream 6716 Kbps (8 000Kbps), 720*576 (4:3), at 25.000 fps, MPEG video (PAL) (version 2) (Main@Main) (BVOP)

First Audio Stream 224 Kbps, 48.0KHz, 2 channels, MPEG Audio (Version 1)(Layer 2)

The clips on the timeline have black bars either side to fill the frame. Does scaling stretch the clip to fill (OK so long as it doesn't make my wife look fat!)

Interpret footage shows: Use PAR from File: (Other aspect Ratio (1.066)

Can't see what MediaInfo says on PAR (probably not looking at right info - but can't see PAR mentioned).

So, as well as being extremely interesting and informative from me, can I solve the immediate problem of the aspect ratio by telling Pr7 to Conform the PAR to  D1 DV Pal Widescreen 16:9 (1.422) and if so will this act on the current project (.prel file) or will I have to do the whole thing (yet) again by rebuilding the project and setting the correct interpretation of the footage as I get it from my PV?

Very many thatnks for your help

Jim

• 6. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Your files are Standard 4:3, and not Widescreen 16:9.

The choices are:

1. Use the 4:3 material in a Standard DV 4:3 Project. Depending on the setup of your DVD player and your TV, you should be able to adjust those to give you a Pan & Scan 16:9, but you will loose some of the top & bottom of the frame.
                    2. Same as above, but set the DVD player and TV to NOT Pan & Scan, but just play the material with the black bars on the sides - Pillarboxing.
                    3. Use the 4:3 material in a Widescreen Project, and leave the Pillarboxing.
                    4. Use the 4:3 material in a Widescreen Project, but use Scale to increase the width to fill the 16:9. Note: you will then either loose top & bottom, or can use Position to effectively crop either the top, or bottom. This Scaling will degrade the quality some.
                    5. Use the 4:3 material in a Widescreen Project, and use Interpret Footage to alter the PAR. Note: this will make all objects wider than they are, and this will probably not be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>original .avi footage from my DCR-HC35E Sony Handycam was converted to mpg

Oh... well, as you have discovered, that is not a good work flow... since a large amount of original information was "thrown away" during conversion, and you are now trying to edit an output file

Since that is what you have, that is what you must use for editing

• 8. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                        JamesAB Level 1

Thanks Bill,

Since it seems I can't affect the current project reterospectively and the last thing I want to do is to redo this project again I guess I will just stick with the 4:3 format in a w/s TV.

I did try to convert one mpg clip back to .avi (Using AVS Video Converter) I set the output as HD 16:9 (not knowing any better). Although I can play the resulting clip in Windows Media Player PrE7 will not display it!

Anyway, a good learning experience. I still have several DVDs worth of footage to process through PrE7, fortunately the majority of it is in .avi format!

Thanks again

Jim

• 9. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                          JamesAB Level 1

P.S.

I have just gone throught the project clips and using the "Interpret Footage" facility I have set the PAR to 1.422 for w/s D1 DVD 16:9.

Not only does the clip now display in Pr7 as full wide screen without any noticable distortion, the "shakyness" noted in my earlier disscussion, seems to have disappeared.

I am currently re-encoding the project so it remains to be seen what the output will be like.

Jim

• 10. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Glad that you were able to Interpret Footage with acceptable results. Usually, people seem to gain about 15 pounds, and "Aunt Marge" would not like that.

Thanks for reporting your success, and good luck with the Encode.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                              JamesAB Level 1

Encoded OK in w/s format. Unfortunately I did not loose the "Jitters" which although seemed to be much less when viewing the project in PrE7 are much worse when encoded and burnt to DVD. The moral of the story is: Don't convert AVI  files ex camcorder to Mpg to reduce storage space!

Jim

• 12. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                                JamesAB Level 1

Just to advise that after a long and tortuous route, I have managed to achieve the desidred DVD i.e. the right aspect ratio and free from the jitters. The last object was acheived by exporting the video from PrE7, as a rather large avi file, and importing that into AVS DVD Authoring. I added the menus and the resulting encoded DVD from this program is absolutely fine.

Obviously I have made a number of mistakes in first of all (of necessity) converting the original mini DV files to mpgs (to overcome a storage problem on my laptop  whilst on holiday) and secondly by not setting up the project properly in PrE7. The upside is that I have learnt from this episode and hope not to make the same mistakes again.

Thanks

Jim

• 13. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Glad to hear of your success, and thank you for reporting it, plus your workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                                    Gary3Hearts

Hi. Well, that helps. However, in PRE 9, I've imported dv tape shot in 16:9 and had all my settings at widescreen, per the above. On my playback deck it looked fine, but looked 4:3 and squished in the pre import and playback screens. I did the 'interpret footage...dv1/dvntsc' for the clip in my organizer. It looked beautiful and displayed widescreen..EXCEPT  it plays back only at the slowest slo-mo I've ever seen. I rendered it and no change? What in heck am I screwing up THIS time???? Thanks!!

• 15. Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary

How did you get the media into the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project....did you do DV data (widescreen) capture firewire into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Capture Window or did you capture the DV data via a firewire connection with another program and then import the DV AVI into the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project? And, if the capture involved another program, was the DV AVI type 1 or type 2?

If

a. You recorded DV Widescreen Data

b. And, then set the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project preset to NTSC DV Widescreen

c, And, then you did a DV Widescreen Capture Firewire into the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Capture Window

There should be no problem with DV AVI Widescreen (native format) on your project's Timeline.

Is there any chance that what you recorded was DV Standard data instead of Widescreen? If you look at Properties of the DV AVI in the Project Media, what does it show for pixel aspect ratio 0.9091 or 1.2121?

What is that "interpret footage...dv1/dvntsc" all about? Do you mean D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121)? I am fairly certain that is what you mean, but I did not want to take anything for granted.

Why not do a mini test run from the start with a new project.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR