What happens under the cover is that ADE will look at your ereader and see
if it is activated by the home site of the ereader ( for example, SONY
ereaders are activated by the SONY Reader Store; Nooks are activated by B&N
and so on). To activate the ereader, you can use the user ID and password
you set up with the home site. Once the ereader is activated, ADE will
download its kernel on the ereader and recognize it.
If you're not matching passwords, you can delete ADE entirely, but if you
do, MAKE SURE YOU EMPTY THE TRASH. ADE will check to see if there are any
files from a previous installation and will reactivate them from the Trash.
If you have any downloaded books in .pdf or epub format, you can move them
to another temporary file location.
If you'd rather, you can contact Adobe help and have them reset your User ID
and password. Then, when you download and install ADE (after you empty the
trash), you should be back in sync. 'should be' is the operative part of
Hope this helps!
Thanks but no luck, it still found the old id. I have contacted Adobe online.
In order to fix this please try following steps.
1) Open Adobe Digital Editions.
2) Press Ctrl+Shift+D key of your Keyboard and deauthorize Digital Editions.
3) Click Start>>Run
Type "regedit" in the box and hit enter.
Locate the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Adobe>Adept
Right click on Adept and select Delete.
6) Now open Adobe Digital Editions
7) When asked to authorize computer then please enter correct ID.
I hope this will help you.!!!!
I read this thread because I am having the exact same problem. I did everything you said and my ADE recognized and even authorized my Nook. It even allowed me to copy my ebook over to my Nook. But when I went to open my book it said "user not activated." What does this mean if my Nook and my ADE were both authorized with the same user ID?
Thanks for your help!!
In order to fix user not activated error you may follow steps as given below.
Solution 1) 1) Open Digital Editions.
2) Connect the Reader and open it.
3) Press the keys Ctrl + Shift + E on your keyboard.
4) Now unplug the Reader and replug it.
5) There you will find a new drive created similar to C or D drive under "My computer".
6) Open the Readers Drive and you will find one folder with name adobe.digital.editions.
7) Delete this folder and plug off and re plug in the Reader.
8) Authorize Reader from the same Adobe ID which you used to Authorize Adobe Digital Editions.
Solution 2) Modify the manifest.xml file located in C:\Usres\Username\My Documents\My Digital Editions:
1) Quit Digital Editions
2) Make a backup copy of the manifest.xml (call it something like manifest.good)
3) Open manifest.xml in notepad
4) It will appears as one big long line of xml, and you are looking for a tag called start at the begginning of this
and select until you the end of the tag that looks called </de:deviceID>
5) If you have attached more than one Reader there may be multiple of these. Delete all of them to make sure.
6) Save the file (manifest.xml) and quit out of notepad
7) Ensure you have the Reader plugged in
8) Launch Digital Editions
9) The Device Setup Assitant should come up.
a) Do NOT click on the "Don't ask again for this device" checkbox.
b) Do click on the "Authorize Device" button.
I hope this will help you!!!
The ADE-Nook transfer has worked, so your problem is most likely not with
that portion of the process. I'd suggest that you contact B&N and tell them
the same thing as you say in this message, and see if they can figure out
why the Nook message is occurring. I'm not sure that any information you
get from us is going to help. Sorry!
Thank you for taking the time to try and help me. Unfortunately it didn't help. I contacted B&N and they sent me this as a response. And it helped! So please feel free to share this as a troubleshooting option.
- Connect Nook to computer
- Go to "my computer" and open Nook drive
- Delete the folders ".adobe-digital-editions" and "Digital Editions"
- Go back to "my computer"
- Right click on Nook drive
- Click "eject" and disconnect Nook from computer
- Reconnect Nook to computer
- Open ADE
- Follow on screen instructions to authorize Nook
- If Nook was authorized properly, you will see a Nook icon on the left under "Bookshelves" list
- Drag and drop ebook to Nook device